Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

knav76

Insurance Coverage For Food?

Just curious...

Since being diagnosed with Celiac disease 4 months ago, my grocery bills have increased in cost significantly. I called my insurance company asking if they offered any sort of assistance for people who need to buy the more-expensive gluten-free foods. Naturally, they don't.

Since this is a "newer" disease, I am not surprised. I am wondering if anyone else has approached their insurance company with a similar request.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have not heard of insurance companies subsidizing the cost of gluten-free food. However, if you have a flexible spending acount (FSA) you can claim part of the cost. The FSA cannot be used for the full price of gluten free food. It can only be used for the difference between the the regular version and the gluten-free version. For example, if gluten pasta costs $1.00 and the same amount of gluten-free pasta costs $3.00, you can submit $2 to your FSA.

See this link for more info. I am increasing my FSA withholding this year and may decide to do this as well. Thanks for the reminder!

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

You can do a search here for similar recent conversations.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I have never asked that question. I only buy the things I have to special, pastas and some breads and extra things. The rest of the food I buy is naturally gluten free. I splurge on some things, like Bell and Evan chicken nuggets or french toast sticks but I try not to buy a lot of expensive items.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif