• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

In any case, perhaps there are tests for it that would help determine which enzymes are needed and that would help tailor the treatment for specific cases.

That would be asuming I could get my doctor to believe me that I am gluten intolerant and run additional deficiency tests. :rolleyes: I'm on my own as far as the medical field is concerned. :o

I just wanted to say also, that we can't always trust vitamin/supplement companies when asking about the gluten-free status of their products. I contacted the Flora company about their Udo's Choice Digestive Enzyme Blend. Now on their website they have different areas for USA, Canada, and International. Their digestive enzyme product in Canada is gluten free, states it on the bottle and doesn't contain anything that is questionable. Their USA product contains barley malt. So it is not gluten-free. I don't know any gluten intolerant person who would take a supplement knowing there was barley malt in it! All I wanted to know was if the product listed on their Canada site was available in the US, since I can't take the one with barley malt.

They have a woman there with their company, and her entire job is to answer the e-mails and give accurate product information. She e-mails me back, saying they are the same product and they are both gluten free! I don't think so! I told her that the bottle clearly says "barley malt" on the product at the store and it is not gluten free. She is sending me more info anyhow. I just think this is crazy. What if I was someone who didn't know better. I would take the product and then get sick. And at $30 a bottle, it isn't worth it!

Well, thanks for letting me rant. Beware of Udo's Choice Enzymes in the US, Canadian's go for it!

God bless,

Mariann :)

Hi All! My husband has been ill for past 27 yrs. During that time we knew he had something other than IBS, colitis, etc. but didn't know what. We also knew due to his symptoms that he had mal-absorption of some sort. Asked a prominent No. Jersey gastro (if I told my fellow New Jerseyians the name of this medical group, they would raise their eyes in disbelief) for digestive enzmyes (prior to celiac disease diagnosis) & he declined to even acknowledge there was mal absorption let alone give a prescription. Try to prove mal-absorption and celiac disease to an American trained Gastro! Try to convince 4 different gastros! Now I know what they mean when they say that not every doctor graduates first in his/her class!

Anyway, years later now that we have a celiac disease diagnosis we understand that mal absorp. is part & parcel of it. I was right after all! Why are the gastros reluctant to give a digestive enzyme prescription? These enzymes DO come in a higher dosage form, purer form (as it's regulated by the FDA and supplements are not) & a prescription. I know this for a fact as when my Dad had pancreatic cancer 10 years ago he had the prescription. Why,why, why why!? Why is it always a fight with the medical establishment!? :angry: It's not like it's a Class III pharmaceutical like Oxycontin for God's sake! It's an enzyme!

Guest LisaB

Wow! I didn't know that, I have wondered if there were going to be stronger enzymes developed. I think more will be done in that direction, there are so many different enzymes in the body and I think only the surface has been scratched, but that is interesting and it is typical AMA logic, or lack of it I should say. -_-

Hi All

Yes, there are stronger enzyme pills made by prescription drug companies. In the Physicans Desk Reference book they are listed under "Digestive Enzymes." The major names of the prescriptions are: Ultrase, Pancrease, Zymase, (Lactaid is included in this list), Creon and more. If doctors are reluctant to give all celiacs these enzymes, alright but how about newly diagnosed celiacs? Don't they need all the digestive help they can get? You watch, in a couple of years the AMA will have a recommendation that celiacs should take this on a regular basis. In the meanwhile, their ignorance about celiac disease will affect celiac disease suffers, again...

Maybe celiac's should ASK their gastros for these enzymes specifically during their visits. Let's shake up the medical world by being one step ahead of them!

Guest ddempse2

I am wondering what enzymes are gluten free? I have UDO's Choice Enzyme Blend. The store said it was most likely gluten free, but I'm at a point where most likely isn't good enough because I keep accidently consuming gluten. The ingredients are: Amylase, Protease, Glucoamylase, Malt Dastase Du Malt, Lipase, Cellulase, Lactase. Aren't we supposed to avoid anything saying malt?

Guest LisaB

NOW (brand) Plant Enzymes are gluten free and that is listed on the label along with the other ingrediants that it is free of. I have taken them for years now and they work very well and you can usually find them online at a discount, sites like www.herbaladvisor.com or www.totaldiscountvitamins.com have them at almost half the cost of my local health food store.

Guest Evelyn's mom

Hello everyone,

I have been searching this message board and have found several questions about gluten free products that I think I can help with. Quixtar.com sells products manufactured by Access Business Group, Nutrilite, Artistry Cosmetics and many more. I have been a wholesale buyer of these products for years and when my daughter was diagnosed, they were the first company I contacted to find out which of their products were gluten-free. They were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I was also relieved to know the cosmetics, personal care products, hair care products, home care products and most of the vitamins that I had been using for years are indeed gluten-free. I encourage you all to go to www.quixtar.com enter in the "visitor view" either US or Canada and enter your info to find the nearest Business Owner in your area. They will be able to register you as a client or wholesale purchaser.

For example: Artistry cosmetics are Gluten Free, Satinique hair care products are gluten-free, Nutrilite will provide you with a list of products that do contain gluten but I know for sure the children's vitamins are gluten-free. I just emailed them on the Digestive Enzyme Coplex to find out about that one. They offer a Peanut Butter Food Bar that is gluten-free and a very delicious. If your into sports nutrition, their XS energy drinks are gluten-free (they also have no carbs and only 8 calories). The Home care products formerly under the Amway Brand name contain no fillers and are gluten-free. The list goes on and on.

While we were learning about the Gluten Free diet with our daughter we had her mainly eating Peanut Butter Food Bars, Active8 Juice and Chewable Vitamins. We were confident they were Gluten Free and she was getting all the nutrients she desparately needed.

To those monitoring these boards, I was hesitant at first to talk about Quixtar's products because I am not trying to promote a business although Quixtar is just that, an online business model for independant franchisors. I felt obligated after reading so many posts of people looking for reputable products that are gluten-free and will help them. If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me. Like I said, contact a Quixtar IBO in your area because chances are they stock some of these items and can give you a discount on price and shipping.

Hope this helps

RaeAnn

Guest Evelyn's mom

Here is the reponse I got from Nutrilit on thier digestive enzymes:

Thank you for your message. The Nutrilite Digestive Enzyme Complex does not contain gluten.

Sincerely,

France

Product Information

product.support@quixtar.com

I have tried a gluten free digestive enzyme and it really bothered my stomach. My doctor told me to discontinue it. I had a GI panel done that showed an abnormally low amount of a marker enzyme that indicates poor pancreatic output of all enzymes. It also found some bad bacterial overgrowth. I read that bad bacteria can break down pancreatic enzymes. I may or may not be producing them or it could be that the bacteria is destroying them.

Anyway, I am frustrated since I do know I have malabsorption issues and am not able to supplement with a digestive enzyme. I do know the one I was taking is gluten free but it could be that I contaminated it. I am afraid I am contaminating everything since I do not live in a gluten free house.

My doctor also told me to hold off my a multivitamin and mineral supplement because they are hard on the stomach. He asked me if I can tolerate them. At this point I don't think my system can tolerate anything. However, if I don't get the nutrients I am going to continue to feel lousy. I am so discouraged.