FreyaUSA

Southwest Florida - Ft. Myers Area?

Rate this topic

Hi all! My family and I are new to this area and I'm wondering if there is a support group anywhere nearby. All four of us (plus the one child off at college) have celiac disease and have been gluten-free for 4-5 years now. It's be nice to meet others in the area!

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Thank you, Lisa! But, drat, there doesn't seem to be anything in this immediate area. Are there others around here who might be interested in something?

http://www.celiac.org/connections.php#florida

Welcome, here is the Florida CDF support information. Hope this is helpful.

Hello! My name is Carolanne...and I've lived in Florida for over 20 years. I am a Celiac, and I've been Wheat-Free for 20 years, and Gluten-Free for over 3 years. I'm trying to locate people who live Gluten Free here in Florida...and it's not been easy. Most of the links I've found have been disconnected or discontinued...and I'm having a devil of time finding people to connect to. I'd really like to find others who are interested in getting together...and I understand that I am not alone. I've read several posts from people looking for help, Doctors, restaurants, support groups, meetups and such here in Florida.

GlutenFreeInFlorida-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

I've created a Yahoo Group in the hopes of connecting with other people here in the Sunshine State...and to help others connect as well. I'd like to know if anyone is interested in something that will enable you to contact others in your own local area. I'd like to make more information available to people who are living Gluten-Free in Florida.

Thank you, Lisa! But, drat, there doesn't seem to be anything in this immediate area. Are there others around

here who might be interested in something?

Hi there,

I just came across your blog and would like to let you know that I am in the process of starting a support group here in Ft. Myers. I did hold one meeting but unfortunately it was Memorial Day weekend. I didn't even think about that when I started planning it months prior. Anyway, I am not going to do anything in the summer time but will re-group in the Fall. If you are still interested in a support group let me know. I could defintely use the help.

TTYL,

Kelly

Ads by Google:

Hello! My name is Carolanne...and I've lived in Florida for over 20 years. I am a Celiac, and I've been Wheat-Free for 20 years, and Gluten-Free for over 3 years. I'm trying to locate people who live Gluten Free here in Florida...and it's not been easy. Most of the links I've found have been disconnected or discontinued...and I'm having a devil of time finding people to connect to. I'd really like to find others who are interested in getting together...and I understand that I am not alone. I've read several posts from people looking for help, Doctors, restaurants, support groups, meetups and such here in Florida.

GlutenFreeInFlorida-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

I've created a Yahoo Group in the hopes of connecting with other people here in the Sunshine State...and to help others connect as well. I'd like to know if anyone is interested in something that will enable you to contact others in your own local area. I'd like to make more information available to people who are living Gluten-Free in Florida.

Hi ---- I have lived in Bonita Springs for 5 years... diagnosed 6 yrs. ago. Have intolerances to lactose, eggs corn and SOY!.

I have found restaurants that make an effort to do gluten free. Ted Montana's - even make Gluten-free french fries! PF Changs uses soy oil so that's out for me. I had problems at Bonefish before I learned about my soy issue... they may use a cooking spray. Other restaurants that will work with you ate Pagelli's and Bices at Cocunut Point... but with only 1 or 2 menu choices.

I would love any tips. Also I would love to meet others that are celiac too.

Two weeks ago showed that my gluten level is climbing since February... and I am as strict as I know how to be. A nutritionist recommended by my dr. is making a house call to see me next week.

Thanks,

Colleen... beachic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   17 Members, 0 Anonymous, 385 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/23/2018 - If you’re looking for a great gluten-free Mexican-style favorite that is sure to be a big hit at dinner or at your next potluck, try these green chili enchiladas with roasted cauliflower. The recipe calls for chicken, but they are just as delicious when made vegetarian using just the roasted cauliflower. Either way, these enchiladas will disappear fast. Roasted cauliflower gives these green chili chicken enchiladas a deep, smokey flavor that diners are sure to love.
    Ingredients:
    2 cans gluten-free green chili enchilada sauce (I use Hatch brand) 1 small head cauliflower, roasted and chopped 6 ounces chicken meat, browned ½ cup cotija cheese, crumbled ½ cup queso fresco, diced 1 medium onion, diced ⅓ cup green onions, minced ¼ cup radishes, sliced 1 tablespoon cooking oil 1 cup chopped cabbage, for serving ½ cup sliced cherry or grape tomatoes, for serving ¼ cup cilantro, chopped 1 dozen fresh corn tortillas  ⅔ cup oil, for softening tortillas 1 large avocado, cut into small chunks Note: For a tasty vegetarian version, just omit the chicken, double the roasted cauliflower, and prepare according to directions.
    Directions:
    Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a cast iron or ovenproof pan until hot.
    Add chicken and brown lightly on both sides. 
    Remove chicken to paper towels to cool.

Cut cauliflower into small pieces and place in the oiled pan.
    Roast in oven at 350F until browned on both sides.
    Remove from the oven when tender. 
    Allow roasted cauliflower to cool.
    Chop cauliflower, or break into small pieces and set aside.
    Chop cooled chicken and set aside.
    Heat 1 inch of cooking oil in a small frying pan.
    When oil is hot, use a spatula to submerge a tortilla in the oil and leave only long enough to soften, about 10 seconds or so. 
    Remove soft tortilla to a paper towel and repeat with remaining tortillas.
    Pour enough enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of a large casserole pan.
    Dunk a tortilla into the sauce and cover both sides. Add more sauce as needed.
    Fill each tortilla with bits of chicken, cauliflower, onion, and queso fresco, and roll into shape.
    When pan is full of rolled enchiladas, top with remaining sauce.
    Cook at 350F until sauce bubbles.
    Remove and top with fresh cotija cheese and scallions.
    Serve with rice, beans, and cabbage, and garnish with avocado, cilantro, and sliced grape tomatoes.

Roxanne Bracknell
    Celiac.com 06/22/2018 - The rise of food allergies means that many people are avoiding gluten in recent times. In fact, the number of Americans who have stopped eating gluten has tripled in eight years between 2009 and 2017.
    Whatever your rationale for avoiding gluten, whether its celiac disease, a sensitivity to the protein, or any other reason, it can be really hard to find suitable places to eat out. When you’re on holiday in a new and unknown environment, this can be near impossible. As awareness of celiac disease grows around the world, however, more and more cities are opening their doors to gluten-free lifestyles, none more so than the 10 locations on the list below.
    Perhaps unsurprisingly, the U.S is a hotbed of gluten-free options, with four cities making the top 10, as well as the Hawaiian island of Maui. Chicago, in particular, is a real haven of gluten-free fare, with 240 coeliac-safe eateries throughout this huge city. The super hip city of Portland also ranks highly on this list, with the capital of counterculture rich in gluten-free cuisine, with San Francisco and Denver also included. Outside of the states, several prominent European capitals also rank very highly on the list, including Prague, the picturesque and historic capital of the Czech Republic, which boasts the best-reviewed restaurants on this list.
    The Irish capital of Dublin, meanwhile, has the most gluten-free establishments, with a huge 330 to choose from, while Amsterdam and Barcelona also feature prominently thanks to their variety of top-notch gluten-free fodder.
    Finally, a special mention must go to Auckland, the sole representative of Australasia in this list, with the largest city in New Zealand rounding out the top 10 thanks to its 180 coeliacsafe eateries.
    The full top ten gluten-free cities are shown in the graphic below:

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/21/2018 - Would you buy a house advertised as ‘gluten-free’? Yes, there really is such a house for sale. 
    It seems a Phoenix realtor Mike D’Elena is hoping that his trendy claim will catch the eye of a buyer hungry to avoid gluten, or, at least one with a sense of humor. D’Elena said he crafted the ads as a way to “be funny and to draw attention.” The idea, D’Elena said, is to “make it memorable.” 
    Though D’Elena’s marketing seeks to capitalizes on the gluten-free trend, he knows Celiac disease is a serious health issue for some people. “[W]e’re not here to offend anybody….this is just something we're just trying to do to draw attention and do what's best for our clients," he said. 
    Still, the signs seem to be working. D'elena had fielded six offers within a few days of listing the west Phoenix home.
    "Buying can sometimes be the most stressful thing you do in your entire life so why not have some fun with it," he said. 
    What do you think? Clever? Funny?
    Read more at Arizonafamily.com.

Advertising Banner-Ads
    Bakery On Main started in the small bakery of a natural foods market on Main Street in Glastonbury, Connecticut. Founder Michael Smulders listened when his customers with Celiac Disease would mention the lack of good tasting, gluten-free options available to them. Upon learning this, he believed that nobody should have to suffer due to any kind of food allergy or dietary need. From then on, his mission became creating delicious and fearlessly unique gluten-free products that were clean and great tasting, while still being safe for his Celiac customers!
    Premium ingredients, bakeshop delicious recipes, and happy customers were our inspiration from the beginning— and are still the cornerstones of Bakery On Main today. We are a fiercely ethical company that believes in integrity and feels that happiness and wholesome, great tasting food should be harmonious. We strive for that in everything we bake in our dedicated gluten-free facility that is GFCO Certified and SQF Level 3 Certified. We use only natural, NON-GMO Project Verified ingredients and all of our products are certified Kosher Parve, dairy and casein free, and we have recently introduced certified Organic items as well! 
    Our passion is to bake the very best products while bringing happiness to our customers, each other, and all those we meet!
    We are available during normal business hours at: 1-888-533-8118 EST.
    To learn more about us at: visit our site.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/20/2018 - Currently, the only way to manage celiac disease is to eliminate gluten from the diet. That could be set to change as clinical trials begin in Australia for a new vaccine that aims to switch off the immune response to gluten. 
    The trials are set to begin at Australia’s University of the Sunshine Coast Clinical Trials Centre. The vaccine is designed to allow people with celiac disease to consume gluten with no adverse effects. A successful vaccine could be the beginning of the end for the gluten-free diet as the only currently viable treatment for celiac disease. That could be a massive breakthrough for people with celiac disease.
    USC’s Clinical Trials Centre Director Lucas Litewka said trial participants would receive an injection of the vaccine twice a week for seven weeks. The trials will be conducted alongside gastroenterologist Dr. James Daveson, who called the vaccine “a very exciting potential new therapy that has been undergoing clinical trials for several years now.”
    Dr. Daveson said the investigational vaccine might potentially restore gluten tolerance to people with celiac disease.The trial is open to adults between the ages of 18 and 70 who have clinically diagnosed celiac disease, and have followed a strict gluten-free diet for at least 12 months. Anyone interested in participating can go to www.joinourtrials.com.
    Read more at the website for Australia’s University of the Sunshine Coast Clinical Trials Centre.

Source:
    FoodProcessing.com.au

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    neilmackay

• Topics

• Thank you, Ennis and Kareng for the amazing tips! I will head over and start reading the newbie 101.  So glad I found this forum with these amazing insights, so I can grow my new knowledge. 
    • I honestly use a grain free quick bread in my bakery, we gave up grains completely. But I will lend you some advice.

First off, give up bread for a few months if your first going gluten free, you have ot forget the bread taste and get new standards.

Next few tips with gluten free breads,
      Gluten breads use the the gluten "glue" to give it that doughy texture and hold the shape.
      In gluten free breads we use gums xantham or guar in 1/4-1tsp, psyliumm husk 1-2tbsp or konjac 1/2-1tsp per full size loaf  to hold shape
      And the flour starches for structure, in the case of nut based breads the harder structures and large amounts of egg whites do this.
      A leavening agent either yeast, baking powder, or a baking soda and vinegar combo, to give air bubbles and rise. OK now lets trouble shoot

IF your bread rises initially then collapse you probably do not have enough binder, or something to act as the lattice/framing of your bread house. Considering your using a mix it should have that starchy (diabetic carb bomb) already in it and you might need to adjust your binder or cooking times. Try upping the gum by 1/4 tsp at a time, I use psyllum husk (1-2tbsp) myself but xantham gum makes a lighter bread, even if it makes me sick personally I got to admit this.  PS if you have issues with xantham you can try guar gum as a direct trade off, many get sick from xantham as it is grown from a mold lattice on either corn, broccoli, or wheat.

If your bread fails to rise at all, then your issue is likely not enough leavening try adding a extra 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1tsp apple cider vinegar to see if this helps, or even doubling that for a proof of concept. The leavening it could also be due to either your yeast being old OR climate. My bakery will not bake during a thunderstorm or high barometric pressure as our gluten free goods are more sensitive to this and the tops always invert during bad weather.

Other things to consider might be your machine and temperature/timing. It might not be suited for your gluten-free breads...Honestly as a baker for years, I can tell you gluten free breads are the most finicy thing your going to work with. Few grams off of water, a few mins off of timing, etc. and it can be too moist, a dry brick, pile of mush,  or powdery mess. Try the mix traditionally by hand per instructions to rule out the machine. Also invest in a scale.....it will save you tons in the future as you can have a 7-20 gram difference in some flours scooping.
    • Sounds like a very high blood test.  You need to keep eating gluten until you finish all testing.  So eat your favorite gluten foods.
    • Hi aya, Some doctors are idiots.  So find a different one if you can.  You may be low on B vitamins also.  B vitamins affect the function of nerves and are important to keep up.  B-12 is sometimes low in people with celiac disease.  I suggest you check your B vitamins levels and also selenium.  I have low vitamin D still.  And I have trouble swallowing sometimes, probably because of low B vitamins for years. Maybe you can find a good doctor on this website. https://www.celiacos.org/
    • Ok, bake the bread, throw it in the trash, and eat the bread machine.  Hopefully someone with some helpful advice will show up soon.  I gave up bread baking years ago.  Ennis_tx has some bread recipes he makes.
  • Blog Entries

• Upcoming Events