Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

banor6

Tummy Aches After Going Gluten Free?

Hi All! I am new to the boards - well, the posting part anyway. I've been reading and learning quite a bit from them for a few days, though. My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with gluten and casein intolerance via Enterolab last week, and we have been gluten/casein free in our foods for 4 days now, but her tummy aches, irritability, and headaches seem to be worse. It seems like I read somewhere that there can be a type of "withdrawl" period once gluten is removed? Has anyone else experienced this? Her results show that there is no malabsorption, which we are so thankful for, but she definently has a gluten intolerance. We've only gone gluten free in food, and yesterday she found a sheet of stickers and stuck them all over herself. I didn't think much about it at the time, but by mid afternoon she was very irritable and it continued through the night and even this morning she was a bear!! I thought that only true ceilacs needed to be careful about gluten in non-food items. Am I mistaken in that thought, or could she be getting gluten in some food item that I've missed? I am so glad to finally know what may be causing her such discomfort (I have felt so helpless the last several months), and I want to do everything I can to help her feel better as soon as possible.

I also have a question about her gene test results. She carries two different gluten intolerant genes which means that her father and I both gave one to her. Does that mean that we each carry the exact copy of one of her genes (the one we would have passed to her), and possibly another gluten gene? We are wanting to have our son tested as well, but since he seems to have no gluten symptoms, we are trying to decide if we should just do the gene test on him, or go ahead and do the stool testing as well. Any thoughts?

Following is a copy of my daughter's Enterolab results:

Gluten Sensitivity Stool and Gene Panel Complete *Best test/best value

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 324 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 208 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

As far as the worsening symptoms go...

We put my 4 year old son on a gluten-free diet in October, and his symptoms not only worsened, but he got new ones. For just over a week, things were wretched!

But then, he started getting better... and better... He's doing VERY well now, better than ever.

I do think that some people will go through this. I think of it as a toxic dumping period. Like when someone quits smoking, they cough worse for awhile before they get better.

When my older son went on the diet, he didn't have this problem, and neither did I when I went on the diet. But my little guy sure did, big time. I think it just depends on the person.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.