• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Can'tEvenEatRice!

Lay's Kettle Cooked Meyer Lemon & Rosemary Flavored Potato Chips

Rate this topic

I know a lot of the LAY'S chips are gluten free, but I am not sure about the LAY'S Kettle Cooked Meyer Lemon & Rosemary Flavored Potato Chips? I just bought them today and had a few, but when I checked Lay's website, they were not listed in the gluten-free section. Does anyone know if these are in fact gluten free? Thanks!

I know a lot of the LAY'S chips are gluten free, but I am not sure about the LAY'S Kettle Cooked Meyer Lemon & Rosemary Flavored Potato Chips? I just bought them today and had a few, but when I checked Lay's website, they were not listed in the gluten-free section. Does anyone know if these are in fact gluten free? Thanks!

Are there any gluten ingredients listed on the package? The potato chips are only potato, so no gluten. The plain lays (and other plain chips like Frito's, Ruffle's, etc) only have salt on them, so no gluten. It's the seasoning powder that sometimes contain gluten ingredients. So that's what you have to look at carefully. Gluten ingredients are not difficult to identify, there's only so many. Wheat, wheat starch, malt extract, malt flavoring. Am I missing something folks?

Of course there's other ingredients that aren't gluten related but still are not tolerated by some. Or, they just have a thing about ingredients that sound like chemicals or additives. But that's a whole 'nother issue, not gluten.

And then there's the risk of cross contamination with anything produced in a plant with other gluten containing products. Some won't take that risk period. Some have taken the risk and gotten sick and so are more carefull now. Some, I'm one, don't worry about it until and if they get sick and can definately, for sure blame that product.

best regards, lm

"Wheat, wheat starch, malt extract, malt flavoring. Am I missing something folks? "

We also need to watch out for natural flavors, a common way to sneak in barley malt. Carmel coloring which can be derived by 'browning' any starch needs to be checked, if it's just says carmel thats not a concern because it is cane sugar derived (unless the rules changed). That said the amount of gluten would be small but some of us do react.

In medications we need to be careful of starch, dextrin, dextrose, glucose all may be wheat derived and there are no regs requiring that they have to say so. In a food product it will, or should say if it is wheat derived.