Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

woolwhippet

Blood Testing Reference Ranges Vs "positve" For Celiac

I had the ttg-iga test done and was told the results were negative. I had 4.0 and to be positive (I am assuming positive for possible celiac disease) you would need to be 10.0 or more. Then today I noticed that the lab who ran the test had redone their website and one of the improvements was to post all reference ranges for the tests they do. According to them normal is .7 to 4.0.

My question is: what is this area between 4.0 and 10.0? Am I misunderstanding something here? Does the 10.0 correlate with villous atrophy?

~Ill for 5 years with progressive symptoms: anxiety, brain fog, joint pain, "D", and the noisiest stomach you've ever heard, and a lovely itchy rash on my buttocks, scalp, and sometimes thighs. ~ Family history of Celiac disease (Uncle, cousins, grandmother) ~ Blood work showed some antibodies but not enough to be dx celiac ~ Dq7 & Dq4. ~ I can't call myself Celiac but I know gluten is bad for my body.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Can you call the lab and seen when they changed their reference ranges and maybe ask them why. How long ago did you have yours done.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

If you read around here, tests do not correlate at all with villious atrophy.....

Some have weak tests, some negative and some have strong positive tests with villious atrophy.

maybe the 4-10 range is the grey zone and you had a very very weak positive and they told you it was negative. It would have been usefult to know so you could have had a biopsy.

nora

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

Thanks again Nora!

~Ill for 5 years with progressive symptoms: anxiety, brain fog, joint pain, "D", and the noisiest stomach you've ever heard, and a lovely itchy rash on my buttocks, scalp, and sometimes thighs. ~ Family history of Celiac disease (Uncle, cousins, grandmother) ~ Blood work showed some antibodies but not enough to be dx celiac ~ Dq7 & Dq4. ~ I can't call myself Celiac but I know gluten is bad for my body.

different labs run the tests somewhat differently, and so will have different reference ranges. where did you see the 10.0 for a positive versus the 4.0?

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA