Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRUMP 1

Lets Talk Turkey

I have a injector but do not have a recipe for injecting. I would like to do some thing different with the Christmas bird this year. So I am looking for ideas.

Thank you,

Grump

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have never used an injector, but we soak our turkey overnight in a brine. It always turns out super moist. I would be happy to share the recipe if you are interested.

Gina

Gina

gluten-free since 2001

Son dx celiac March 2005

I have never used an injector, but we soak our turkey overnight in a brine. It always turns out super moist. I would be happy to share the recipe if you are interested.

Gina

Yes if you could please do that it would be great. Also I am still looking for a recipe for injecting. Maybe if some one does the deep fried turkey. Loved it when Mama and Pops lived up here and he would do the fried turkey. But that was before I got sick.

Thanks again,

Grump

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!

Here's the recipe for Honey Brined Herb Roasted Turkey:

Ingredients:

1 Fresh turkey

8 - 10 qts water

2 cups kosher salt

1 cup honey

3 - 4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper

10 - 12 cloves garlic, peeled

2 bunches fresh thyme

1 bunch fresh sage

4 - 5 cups chicken stock

2 to 3 lemons

2 - 4 teaspoons olives oil

Remove giblets & neck from turkey, reserve for gravy if you like

Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well

Blot dry with paper towle

Prepare brine by mixing water, honey, and salt in large bowl and stir until honey dissolves

Add half the thyme and sage along with garlic and black pepper and set aside

Line an extra large stock pot with food - safe plastic bag (I double bag mine - just in case)

Place rinsed turkey in bag and pour brine over turkey.

Gather bag tightly around turkey, causing turkey to be surrounded by the brine.

Seal bag and refrigerate pot with bagged brine and turkey for at least 12 to 18 hours.

After soaking in brine, remove turkey from brine and pat dry inside and out. Discard brine.

Preheat over to 350

Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in large shallow roasting pan

Squeeze lemon juice into main turkey cavity.

Put squeezed lemon havles into cavity along with rest of the thyme and sage

Coat turkey lightly with oil and sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper.

Insert oven safe meat thermomenter (if used) into thickest part of thigh, being careful the pointed end of the thermometer does not touch the bone.

Roast turke, basting with poultry stock every half hour or so.

Loosley cover with aluminum foil to prevent over browning, remove foil during last hour and half of cooking time.

Remove turkey from over when thermometer registers 180 in the thigh or 170 in the breast

Allow to cool for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.

We do this every Thanksgiving and never turns out dry.

I hope you have luck finding your "injector" recipes.

Gina

Gina

gluten-free since 2001

Son dx celiac March 2005