Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest maybe I have celiac

Bread Crumb In Salad

Guest maybe I have celiac

Yesterday, I was feeling fine and focused and went out to eat with my co-workers. I had a salad and noticed I was chewing on a bread crumb. I ate it anyway and the remainder of the afternoon, I was panicky and depressed. Can this small amount of gluten screw me up this badly??? Anyone with personal experiences similar to this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, unfortunately, that amount was enough to make you sick.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife brought home a chicken ceasers salad from Mcdonalds one day. I tried a small bite of the lettuce just to taste the dressing. I carefully selected an area away from the croutons. As soon as I put it in my mouth, all I could taste was croutons! Naturally I spit it out. I was shocked at the intensity of the crouton taste. In my mind I could see a crouton previously sitting there half dissolved right were I took a bite.

Was a very stupid thing to do anyway. Plus I didn't know about the ingredients in the dressing. Fortunately, I didn't have any ill effects.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa