Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest maybe I have celiac

Bread Crumb In Salad

Yesterday, I was feeling fine and focused and went out to eat with my co-workers. I had a salad and noticed I was chewing on a bread crumb. I ate it anyway and the remainder of the afternoon, I was panicky and depressed. Can this small amount of gluten screw me up this badly??? Anyone with personal experiences similar to this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yesterday, I was feeling fine and focused and went out to eat with my co-workers. I had a salad and noticed I was chewing on a bread crumb. I ate it anyway and the remainder of the afternoon, I was panicky and depressed. Can this small amount of gluten screw me up this badly??? Anyone with personal experiences similar to this?

I had a similar effect on one of the few times I have eaten out since I was diagnosed. I didn't notice bread crumbs in my water glass until I had consumed half of it. Turned out they store the glasses right beside the bread warmer at the waitress station. :angry: I had a very miserable week after that.

All it takes is a really small amount of gluten, less than you can see with your naked eye, for the immune system to react. If one has neuro symptoms they can show up really quickly as the mucous membranes in the mouth absorb it into the bloodstream.

I hope you feel better soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Yeah, I ordered a salad without croutons at one restaurant and I think they made a regular salad, then picked the croutons out. Anyway, I found myself chomping down on a small piece of a crouton I hadn't seen. I should have spit the entire mouthful out (as gross as that would have been) but I was with my inlaws at a nice restaurant and I was pretty new to all this. I didn't know how badly I would react.

I was sick for several days after that.

From this I learned I have to not only say "no croutons" but to say I am allergic to wheat. (Yeah I know, not precisely correct ... but waiters understand this and seem to perk up with the mention of "allergy.")

I've read that people can react to the amount of gluten contained in 1/1000 of a slice of bread.

I hope you are feeling better now.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

I am better, fortunately it takes 3 days to clear my system when i have larger amounts. i think?