Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HAK1031

School Trip To England And Scotland

This April I'm going to Great Britain, which I know is generally celiac friendly. However, I'm going on a school trip, so our meals and stuff are already planned out- it's not like we can go into a restaurant and order w/e we want. I told the teacher leading the trip all about celiac and its specs, but quite frankly she's a space cadet so I don't know how much of that will be lost in translation. I'm going to call the tour company myself as well. Anyone have any tips for this situation? Can you bring prepackaged food across the pond? I'm thinking bringing my own cereal, snack bars, etc. might be a good idea. Thanks!

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I went to England last year and didn't eat out once. I baked some muffins, banana bread, and cookies, and packed them in my checked luggage, well taped and labeled. I also kept some stuff in my carry on--snack type stuff. I had no problem going through Heathrow, here, or in Amsterdam where we had a layover. But, I made sure not to bring any fruits or meats since I've heard that's not allowed.

The nice thing about the labeling laws in England is that they clearly list gluten; I particularly liked Marks and Spencers for stuff (Tesco (and perhaps Sainsbury, too) also has a "free from" line of products, where you can buy premade gluten-free goodies). I ate mostly naturally gluten-free foods--potatoes, rice, meats, veggies, etc., because I have other intolerances. I was staying with family, though, and had access to a kitchen the entire time I was there.

I can't help with the eating out part, since I don't eat out, but do some searching on the net for gluten-free eating in England--you'll find a lot of links and forums with information on places where you can eat.

Good luck and have fun! I *love* England!

*Julie*

Gluten free since December 2004

Soy free since June 2005

Dairy free since July 2006

Don't rely on your teacher to make sure you're safe. Ask your teacher for the information necessary to contact the people responsible for your food, and then see if you are able to arrange for your food to be safe for you.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This April I'm going to Great Britain, which I know is generally celiac friendly. However, I'm going on a school trip, so our meals and stuff are already planned out- it's not like we can go into a restaurant and order w/e we want. I told the teacher leading the trip all about celiac and its specs, but quite frankly she's a space cadet so I don't know how much of that will be lost in translation. I'm going to call the tour company myself as well. Anyone have any tips for this situation? Can you bring prepackaged food across the pond? I'm thinking bringing my own cereal, snack bars, etc. might be a good idea. Thanks!

I have been to both countries many times and have never had a problem eating out at all. Use common sense at mealtimes and talk to the servers where you eat....they know Celiac much better than Americans do. You'll find that at most English meals, they usually serve potatoes and veggies like cauliflower, carrots and broccoli in abundance and you could always ask for them to serve plain meat without any gravy. I found it extremely easy to order there and they are very accomodating as well. Just bring some snack bars and easy to carry food as a back up for when you need a snack.....you won't find many gluten-free desserts or snacks served at mainstream restaurants. I never got sick once so you can do it too!

Have a wonderful time....both are beautiful countries and the people are friendly.