Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

darlindeb25

Powdered Sugar

I was talking to my sister last night and she said things are changing again. She is finding powdered sugar with wheat in it, just wanted you all aware--start checking it. For a very long time now, powdered sugar has been safe. She said Kroger, Meijer, and one other brand was still safe, but the Gordon Food Service brand she had gotten for the hospital now contains wheat and it didn't before.

I guess it goes to prove we have to be on constant guard, always reading the labels, never trusting a company to leave things the same.

I just wanted to make sure your holiday baking was safe. Merry Christmas!!!

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Thanks for the info Deb! I was just baking cookies with my sisters and they used powdered sugar with my sifter. I think it was Meijer's brand.

Laura

Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 1992

Diagnosed Adult ADD and Panic Disorder 2005

Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant 2006

it makes you wonder why wheat would need to be used in powdered sugar....the sugar was fine without it :(

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Deb,

Thanks for the information.

Have a nice holiday :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I love your name Generic :lol:

Because it is cheaper than corn starch right now.
and that says it all!!!!! To h*** with our health, bottom line is padding their pockets. If they use the lease expensive product and charge the same price for the product, then they make more money and that is what business is all about! There are so many products out there that absolutely have no reason to contain wheat or barley, like cereals, they do not need barley malt, but it's the least expensive to use, so they ruin all those cereals with it. You would think they would come to realize how much money they could make off of celiacs now, if they would just stop using barley malt!

I wonder how many celiac's will be glutened by powdered alone this holiday season just because of this tiny change that we did not expect to happen. We do come to trust our favorites and we do get lazy about checking our favorites that have become trusted friends.

You are all very welcome and my sister says Hi!!!!!

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

This goes back to the gasoline situation. Corn is used to make Ethanol. This has increased the demand and prices for corn. Wheat is a cheaper commodity right now. Back in 2005 I was afraid this was going to happen.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003