• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Joyous

I Get Rashes, But They're Not That Bad

Rate this topic

I've been getting rashes for a long time, but they've never really bothered me that much. I guess I'm so used to it I don't really think about it. (I think a doctor once suggested infected hair follicles?) It's little red dots that are spread out, never patches (unless I wear jewelry).

It sort of comes and goes on my thighs, but it's there more often than not. Occasionally I get a mild rash on my stomach as well. I always have acne and a mild rash on my back and chest. I don't wear jewelry because my skin is so sensitive that I get a rash (a pink, itchy, raised patches) from watches/braclets and necklaces.

Does this sound like it's related to celiac disease, or do I just have sensitive skin?

I've been getting rashes for a long time, but they've never really bothered me that much. I guess I'm so used to it I don't really think about it. (I think a doctor once suggested infected hair follicles?) It's little red dots that are spread out, never patches (unless I wear jewelry).

It sort of comes and goes on my thighs, but it's there more often than not. Occasionally I get a mild rash on my stomach as well. I always have acne and a mild rash on my back and chest. I don't wear jewelry because my skin is so sensitive that I get a rash (a pink, itchy, raised patches) from watches/braclets and necklaces.

Does this sound like it's related to celiac disease, or do I just have sensitive skin?

It seems to me that you may have DH. I've always had, especially during my teenage years when I wasn't watching my diet, these red bumps and splotches on my back and sides. People even called me "acneback" I had so much. Does it itch at all? While mine did not itch, it was awfully dry.

Ed in MD

It looks a lot like Maggi315's photos! :o Maybe I should try to take some. I have some of my face, but I can't seem to get my camera to take a clear photo of my legs, and I haven't tried my chest or back.

Right now my face actually looks a lot clearer than it usually does for some reason, but here are a couple face pics. The second one has circles on it to show which pimples (?) are the most recent. A lot of what's there is actually discoloration from previous pimples (?).

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/cha...ony/joy027a.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/cha...ony/joy031a.jpg

Yes, it itches, but not too bad. It usually itches the most around my braline. The rash by my knees also itches sometimes, but not horribly.

This is so funny... I've tried so many topic medications and remedies, and nothing's ever worked. I've even tried oral medications without success. (But hey, nothing's better for the digestive system than taking antibiotics for a year straight! :lol: )

I don't know about DH, but my acne improved about 80% when I went gluten-free--a lovely bonus.

I never had DH diagnosed either but I do think I had it, for years I had dark purple spots on my skin, it didn't look like classic DH but it did go away (slowly) after I went gluten-free. On top of the dark purple rashes I also had small red bumps and other various rashes, some itchy, some not. And for the most part they are all gone too.

I think when we are ingesting gluten and shouldn't be it just messes up our entire immune system.

Susan

Joyous...

About three weeks ago we went out to dinner and I got the impression that the restaurant was not gluten savvy....the next morning when I woke up I had an itchy rach all over my chest. I am sure that it had something to do with being glutened :blink: I am not sure though if it would considered DH? The rash lasted about 2 weeks....annoying!!

I have to add, I too never had DH and the skin problems which some members experience, occasionally I had the itchy patches...My acne also improved and my face is fairly clear (it was never too bad but still) the only time I get acne now is around my "time".

What I'm wondering is if a lot of what people think is acne is actually mild DH. I could be way off, but it would certainly explain why so many people here say that their acne went away after they stopped eating gluten, and in my case it would explain why nothing the dermintologist could come up with would get rid of my acne, not even a year's worth of different antibiotics. He said some acne is resistant to treatment. I wonder what percentage of the population has "acne" that doesn't respond to acne medication?

Joyous...

About three weeks ago we went out to dinner and I got the impression that the restaurant was not gluten savvy....the next morning when I woke up I had an itchy rach all over my chest. I am sure that it had something to do with being glutened :blink: I am not sure though if it would considered DH? The rash lasted about 2 weeks....annoying!!

Could very well be! Did it leave purple spots after it went away?

I was diagnosed 2/07 with celiacs. It has been a real rocky road since that time. At the time of my diagnosis I was b12, calcium, vit d deficient. I was very sick, and thought that I wasn't going to make it. It has been 10 months, and I feel that I have gained much knowledge, but there are times when I do get glutened, and my system lets me know, theres no escaping it. I also was tested through enterolab. I now have other allergies such as egg and soy. I am hoping that when my gut heals, it will help with the allergies. I am having another endoscopy this friday(12/28), they will be looking at the intestines, and hopefully will tell me good news. I really have not been feeling well these last couple of weeks....sometimes I can't figure out what the problem is though, what it was that I ate to make me feel like this. Will they be doing an endo on you?

I was diagnosed 2/07 with celiacs. It has been a real rocky road since that time. At the time of my diagnosis I was b12, calcium, vit d deficient. I was very sick, and thought that I wasn't going to make it. It has been 10 months, and I feel that I have gained much knowledge, but there are times when I do get glutened, and my system lets me know, theres no escaping it. I also was tested through enterolab. I now have other allergies such as egg and soy. I am hoping that when my gut heals, it will help with the allergies. I am having another endoscopy this friday(12/28), they will be looking at the intestines, and hopefully will tell me good news. I really have not been feeling well these last couple of weeks....sometimes I can't figure out what the problem is though, what it was that I ate to make me feel like this.

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. Have you looked into L-Glutamine?

Will they be doing an endo on you?

My first GI appointment is on the 7th, and whether or not I get an endoscopy will probably depend on the bloodwork. (And on whether or not I still have insurance. Good times. :lol: )

Goodmorning :) What is L-Glutamine? Is it a probiotic? Right now I am talking co-q10, magnesium, sublingual b12, viactiv, and oregano oil. I'm not sure if any of it is helping me. I work in a hospital on Long Island. A respected cardiologist told me about the co-q10, and that he is a believer in it. I don't know, I think that all of this can make you crazy :huh: Well tomorrow is the big day for the endo, and I am nervous :ph34r: I hope all is well...

Goodmorning :) What is L-Glutamine? Is it a probiotic? Right now I am talking co-q10, magnesium, sublingual b12, viactiv, and oregano oil. I'm not sure if any of it is helping me. I work in a hospital on Long Island. A respected cardiologist told me about the co-q10, and that he is a believer in it.

elizn is correct, L-glutamine is an animo acid. It's good for a lot of things, and recently my chiropractor told me that it's important for people whose digestive tracts are healing because it works directly on the digestive tract, sort of like a topical does on skin.

I haven't heard of viactiv or oregano oil, but the other ones I've read about in the past, and it seems like a good idea to take them.

I don't know, I think that all of this can make you crazy :huh:

Or at least feel like you are! I've been feeling crazy for years though, what with so many negative tests and doctors telling me that my symptoms are just depression or stress or anxiety. Ugh. I may have to be more extremist about my diet than I am used to being, but at least now I have an answer. :)

Well tomorrow is the big day for the endo, and I am nervous :ph34r: I hope all is well...

Being nervous makes you a ninja? Lol I want to become a ninja when I get nervous! ;):P

Seriously though, I hope your endo went well.

Hi all,

My husband always had such red things on his back, close to shoulders, and neck, and on his belly...Doctors said the reason was his dry skin in 1993..Anyway, time passed..and 2005 he developed gluten intolerance. Those red rashes were a sign for us, we had no idea.

Now we watch his diet very well, he has no symptoms, he has good health - but if he east too much fruits (2 servings a day) those red rashes come back.

You may want to watch how much simple carb you consume.