Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoSugarShell

Non-dairy Coconut Milk

Okay, I want some yogurt really bad but dairy makes me really break out. Well, I started thinking that I love coconut milk and use it in my coffee every morning. Well, low and behold there is a thread on here about making yogurt from coconut milk.

1) Has anyone tried this and if so what were your results.

2) Is an ice cream maker and a yogurt maker basically the same thing?

3) Do you have to use a yogurt maker to make yogurt?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Not an answer, just more questions...

I would be very interested in this too.

Do you get coconut milk from the store or do you actually buy the coconut and use that in your coffee?

:P

One Celiac gene and one gluten intolerance gene (HLA-DQ 2,1).

Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)

Following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but no nuts, legumes or casein.

Not an answer, just more questions...

I would be very interested in this too.

Do you get coconut milk from the store or do you actually buy the coconut and use that in your coffee?

:P

I buy coconut milk from Market Street or my local health food store. It comes in a can and they have regular fat or lite. I love both but the lite is more runny which is perfect for coffee. I am going to try to make whipped cream with the full fat but I haven't done it yet. It does have a bit of a coconutty taste but I really like that. Hope this helps.

That sounds good in coffee...I never thought of trying. Thanks for the idea.

I, too, would be interested in knowing exactly how to make yogurt from coconut milk, if anyone here knows that.

We make ice cream from coconut milk all the time. Its great! I like the coffee rum flavour one the best. I will try to find the recipe for you.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Ooooh, I would like it too! We love coconut milk, I'll try it in my coffee tomorrow..thanks for the tip! I have made whip cream out of coconut milk, it turned out okay. It was a little runny, but still tasted good over bananas and chocolate syrup.

Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005

Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures

Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf