Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

debmidge

Boxing Day

I have always noticed this date on calendar (12/26) and always wanted to know what kind of a holiday is it? and what traditions are done on this date? When did Boxing Day begin? What was its purpose?

Thanks for any info you can impart.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Deb - I posted this in the 'tickle me elbow' thread a couple of weeks ago. :D

Boxing Day also known as St Stephen's Day

The name of the day goes back to medieval times, more than 800 years ago, when alms boxes were placed at the back of every church to collect money for the poor. Traditionally, it is on this day that the alms box at every English church is opened and the contents are distributed to the poor. copyright of projectbritain.com

Historians say the holiday developed because servants were required to work on Christmas Day, but took the following day off. As servants prepared to leave to visit their families, their employers would present them with Christmas boxes.

Interesting Facts

The Christmas boxes were made from clay and were not made in the shape of a box. They were hollow clay balls with a slit in the top.

Boxing Day is a holiday in the United Kingdom, Canada, and many other Commonwealth nations.

During the late 18th century, Lords and Ladies of the manor would "box up" their leftover food, or sometimes gifts and distribute them the day after Christmas to tenants who lived and worked on their lands.

The tradition of giving money still continues today. It is customary for householders to give small gifts or monetary tips to regular visiting trades people (the milkman, dustman, coalman, paper boy etc.) and, in some work places, for employers to give a Christmas bonus to employees.

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

Where I am, in Canada, Boxing Day has become a major shopping frenzy. Amazing sales. When I was a child boxing day was a lovely day when everything was still closed and we spent the day playing board games and visiting friends. What does the USA have the day after Christmas?

~Ill for 5 years with progressive symptoms: anxiety, brain fog, joint pain, "D", and the noisiest stomach you've ever heard, and a lovely itchy rash on my buttocks, scalp, and sometimes thighs. ~ Family history of Celiac disease (Uncle, cousins, grandmother) ~ Blood work showed some antibodies but not enough to be dx celiac ~ Dq7 & Dq4. ~ I can't call myself Celiac but I know gluten is bad for my body.

The usa doesnt do anything lol, all they do is mark down the christmas stuff and people fight over the cheap wrapping paper, and everyone goes and returns the things that they dont like or dont want and everyone goes back to work, unless u are lucky and get the week off. I wish we had soemthing like boxing day here in the us.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

In Germany, Dec. 26th is a holiday. Presents are exchanged on Christmas Eve after coming home from church (around 7:00 PM). Children are allowed to stay and play with their new toys until they drop, some last until after midnight.

Christmas Day is called the first Christmas Day, and you have a quiet day with only your immediate family. What is here Boxing Day is the Second Christmas Day, and it is for visiting family and friends. Very few people have to go back to work the next day, most have the week off.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Germany does it up right!

~Ill for 5 years with progressive symptoms: anxiety, brain fog, joint pain, "D", and the noisiest stomach you've ever heard, and a lovely itchy rash on my buttocks, scalp, and sometimes thighs. ~ Family history of Celiac disease (Uncle, cousins, grandmother) ~ Blood work showed some antibodies but not enough to be dx celiac ~ Dq7 & Dq4. ~ I can't call myself Celiac but I know gluten is bad for my body.

Where I am, in Canada, Boxing Day has become a major shopping frenzy. Amazing sales. When I was a child boxing day was a lovely day when everything was still closed and we spent the day playing board games and visiting friends. What does the USA have the day after Christmas?

:( work :angry:

Is there a UK/Commonwealth holiday where the "boses" have to trade jobs with the "employees" for a day?

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Is there a UK/Commonwealth holiday where the "boses" have to trade jobs with the "employees" for a day?

Not in the UK unfortunately :( ....but there should be !! :lol:

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

black_cat.gif

Here in Australia it is exactly as you describe in Canada. Somehow it has become a major shopping frenzy also with people lining up at 7.00am to get the best bargains. We had a beautiful sunny and warm day here of about 26 celsius so the last think I wanted to do was battle the crowds at the shops.

Here in Australia it is exactly as you describe in Canada. Somehow it has become a major shopping frenzy also with people lining up at 7.00am to get the best bargains. We had a beautiful sunny and warm day here of about 26 celsius so the last think I wanted to do was battle the crowds at the shops.

7:00 am? That's late. Here they were lined up since about 4 or 5 a.m. at Best Buy and Future Shop. As for me, I had Christmas Eve and Day off and then had to come in to work early today because someone else called in sick. At least it's time and half.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

Has anyone ever heard of the British English Crackers and are they used in the celebration of Boxing Day? They look like they are a lot of fun, I was thinking of using them next Christmas!

Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"

"blood work show's a disease called celiac,

but it can't be that because it's rare!"

Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac

offering support, my

experience and advice

Hi Amber here in SA shops weren't open til today and retailers moaning and groaning they will"lose" $80 million in revenue then in the next breath they are saying they expect $100 million in sales today

Doesn't matter when the sales are on people still have the same amount of money to spend and will spend it regardless :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Diagnosed Eczema 1964 aged 16 but with what I know now from research am sure it was Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1969 at age 21 but had it from age of 12 many painful episodes over the years( was probably Coeliac all along)

Diagnosed Hashimoto's Disease/Hypothyroid November 1994

Low B12 November 2006

Low B12 (still!) July 2007 Docs are happy with results just above low end of normal..*sigh*....still need to resolve it

Gluten free since October 2006 after failing gluten challenge

Diagnosed Hiatus Hernia and Los Angeles Grade A reflux via endoscopy October 2007

Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease via same endoscopy / biopsy October 2007 (took them long enough!) despite being gluten-free damage still evident although had been taking iron tablets for iron deficiency without realizing they contained gluten. Subsequent blood tests show :Positive Anti-Gliadin IgA EIA antibodies, Positive Endomysial antibodies ,Positive tTG IgA antibodies of 300 ("normal" range 0-15)

Auto-immune disease goes back at least 5 generations in my family (and counting) Mainly Type 1 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.

Number 1 Son has Type 1 diabetes ..diagnosed March 2007 at age 31, number 2 son aged 24 is A/I disease free so far ,daughter has lichen planus ( similar to psoriasis) diagnosed 2003 at age 17 am now wondering if it is DH but with flippancy of the young she won't get any testing done

Has anyone ever heard of the British English Crackers and are they used in the celebration of Boxing Day? They look like they are a lot of fun, I was thinking of using them next Christmas!

Hi Tavi :D

Do you mean this sort of thing??? (as opposed to cracker you eat)

You guys don't have this????

Crackers are not specifically a 'boxing day' thing - mainly xmas day and any other day over the xmas period where you all sit down to dinner.

We set ours round the dining table - to be pulled with the person next to you - there's usually a small gift and a joke inside - but I don't make them!! ....dear gawd no!! (I'm not that good :lol: ) nope, get them at the supermarket.

Got me wondering now - what's the purpose and reason behind christmas crackers?...mmmmm :blink:

Nikki

black_cat.gif

Got me wondering now - what's the purpose and reason behind christmas crackers?...mmmmm :blink:

From my experience this Christmas, it seems like their purpose is to teach small children the art of telling truely terrible jokes! :lol:

Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000

Screened for coeliac disease as sister has it - negative blood test

Nov 2005 positive blood tests

January 2006 dx by biopsy

gluten-free and dairy lite since then

I am also neutropenic, anaemic and have hypothyroidism

Feb 08: free protein S deficiency; candida overgrowth; adrenal exhaustion

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12

boxing day was traditionaly when everyone would open their christmas presents, even though they would be recieved on the 25th

its extra special for me because its my birthday :)

"great works are performed not by strength but by perseverence"

Diagnosed coeliac - aged 14

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

Crohn's disease -december 2012