Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bakinghomesteader

Gluten Free Hashbrown Casserole Recipe?

I sure would like to have a hashbrown casserole this Christmas, but I can't find one gluten free. Does anyone have a recipe they use?

Thanks!

homeschooling mom to 12 yr old son

helpmeet to wonderful husband of 13 yrs

dx Myasthenia Gravis 1998

Official Celiac dx 6/2008

Gluten Free since 6/5/07 (with the exception of 6 weeks and any cc)

Positive Enterolab Result 8/23/07

Positive bloodwork 6/2/08 after eating gluten for 6 weeks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I personally have never had one, however if you are talking about the "tater tot" casserole some of my fellow co-workers bring to work I believe ore-ida fries n tots most are gluten-free,,, think I saw an article just the other day of the complete list supplied by ore-ida even. Will look for it and add it with an edit

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

We make a tater tot casserole using ore-ida tater tots, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, and hamburger. We use health valley soup. I try to use more chicken soup then mushroom as it gives it a better flavor I think.

Cook hamburger, I season with garlic powder, onion powder, and what ever you want to add.

The soup is rather bland so I kick it up also by adding chicken bullion.

heat soup before putting it all together. ( I mix the 2 together )

then in a oven safe dish start by layering tots, meat, and soups. repeat until all is used ending with soup.

Put in a 350 preheated oven cook until hot all the way through. I would say about 45 minutes to an hour I think. Never really timed it out. Stir and serve.

Hope this helps,

Grump

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!

I buy a bag of frozen hashed browns shredds - forget which kind...but make sure whichever one you choose they are gluten-free, of course.

The bag is a 16 oz bag, defrost and dry out a bit on paper towels.

I mix them with about 1/4 cup of oil or melted butter (usually butter, but if I'm running low or out, I use oil). I add salt and pepper.

I then press them into the bottom of a 13 X 9 pan and bake at 400 for about 10 to 15 minutes to start the crisping process on the bottom.

Mix 8 eggs, 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 cups shredded monterey jack (I do my own to avoid the anticaking agents), 1/2 lb sausage or bacon (that has been browned up before hand). Pour over hashed browns and bake about 30 mins until center is set.

Wait about 5 minutes before baking.

:) ENJOY!

(for Christmas a.m. I mix up the eggs and cream first, brown the sausage and drain, and shred the cheese, defrost hashed browns in the fridge...so on Christmas morning I get up a bit before the kids and start the hashed browns. Add the egg mixture and cheese after stockings are stuffed...and it bakes while we finish. Hot and ready by the time we're done :D)

Here's one that I made in my pre-gluten-free days that requires no adjustments -- just make sure all the ingredients are known to be gluten-free.

Farmer

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Well, guys, I got it. It's funny you should say something about the Health Valley soups. I just discovered them at Krogers and am so excited now. I am using a copy cat recipe for the Cracker Barrel Hashbrown casserole. Yeah. Thanks all!

homeschooling mom to 12 yr old son

helpmeet to wonderful husband of 13 yrs

dx Myasthenia Gravis 1998

Official Celiac dx 6/2008

Gluten Free since 6/5/07 (with the exception of 6 weeks and any cc)

Positive Enterolab Result 8/23/07

Positive bloodwork 6/2/08 after eating gluten for 6 weeks