Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mama Ruthies

? On 3 Year Old's Enterolab Results & Behavior Issues

I posted this earlier on the pre-testing forum but haven't gotten any responses so thought I'd check with all of you.

We had our 3 year old son tested thru Enterolab about two months ago. We've been gluten free since Halloween and have added dairy, egg and soy (with some mishaps here and there with these three).

Can you help me with the results? From my understanding, our son was absorbing nutrients so most likely didn't have damage to villi. But based on his high TTG, would he have leaky gut? Could that also attribute to his high numbers with the other foods?

When I spoke to the nurse at Enterolab, she recommended eliminating the five foods for life! Our allergist has him off dairy and egg for six months---he said soy would be OK twice a week. I have tried to eliminate soy because of his high number for soy.

Thank you to anyone who can give me some additional guidance! Would you remove all five foods? If so, how long? We're having a hard time finding things for him to eat---he's already lost 5 pounds. He didn't show any gastro symptoms---had him tested because had come back positive for everything the allergist tested on RAST.

Here are his results---

A) Gluten Sensitivity Stool and Gene Panel Complete *Best test/best value

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 105 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 102 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 98 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 8,7)

C) Egg, Yeast, and Soy Food Sensitivity Stool Panel

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 28 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 74 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 223 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

------------

The first two weeks off gluten we saw some great strides with our son's speech, but things have been going downhill since. I know withdrawal can take awhile and I feel that maybe he is getting sensitive to other foods as well. We're trying to figure out what is causing his crabbiness---I would say he has a short fuse and isn't using his words as much. Not the same boy we had before we eliminated the foods. Looking back, I think he started having problems with gluten around 17 to 20 months and he's 40 months now.

Thank you for any advice!

Amy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would eliminate all 5 for a while, maybe 6 months, as strict as you can, including not eating out or anything unknown. Probably along the way, you will have accidents and see the effects. After you feel he has not had any of those foods for a while, you could try introducing one at a time very slowly to see what happens.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear. In my experience, with myself, the effects of a gluten mistake can last 2 1/2 weeks. This is from cross contamination in a restaurant, not deliberately eating any. I feel worse now when that happens than I ever did before so I think if you have been eliminating these foods and then letting him have it 2 times per week, he could be worse from that. I also think if you don't eliminate every trace then you won't see what how it is affecting him.

In my experience, Enterolab has been mostly right. The only possible exceptions are my casein result was a 10 ( 10 is positive) and my daughter's 9 on soy (10 is positive). I think my daughter does have a problem with soy and I am not convinced totally that I have a casein problem, but I don't eat it anyway. I have tested milk a few times and possibly have had a reaction but it is nothing like my gluten reaction. We have been on this diet for almost 2 years and I am scared to let them test their intolerances because their behaviour is so bad when there have been mistakes. I am convinced for them it is a problem. You may discover the same thing as you go along.

I would not reintroduce gluten in any case in your son due to the known long term effects of gluten. The only reason I would possibly try the other ones is that it is so restrictive to do 5 major foods and as far as I know, Dr. Fine is the only one who thinks they need to be avoided forever.

Karen

gluten free 4/06

casein free 7/06

DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free

vegetarian

gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab