This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

More Help Please

Joe Hoffman

Joe Hoffman Rookie

OK, yesterday my wife made more xmas cookies only this time no sprinkles or toppings,,,,, just creamy peanut butter, eggs and sugar,,,,, lots of sugar.

I was on the toilet for ten straight hours and the cramping and pain was back. So now I know I have to cut out the sugar.

This trial and error thing could take months and months,,,,, do any of you guys have a list of foods by manufacturer that you could email me at jkhoffman36@yahoo.com. I have always tried not to reinvent wheels, it would be nice if I could speed up my learning curve by learning from the mistakes that you all have made.

Thanks,

Joe

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star
OK, yesterday my wife made more xmas cookies only this time no sprinkles or toppings,,,,, just creamy peanut butter, eggs and sugar,,,,, lots of sugar.

I was on the toilet for ten straight hours and the cramping and pain was back. So now I know I have to cut out the sugar.

This trial and error thing could take months and months,,,,, do any of you guys have a list of foods by manufacturer that you could email me at jkhoffman36@yahoo.com. I have always tried not to reinvent wheels, it would be nice if I could speed up my learning curve by learning from the mistakes that you all have made.

Thanks,

Joe

Just a thought... Was the peanut butter formerly used to make peanut butter sandwiches? If so, it may very likely be contaminated. Also, was the sugar canister (if kept in a canister) ever used in conjunction with flour, like with baking. Or, was it ever used for flour storage? Cross contamination is the hardest thing for newbies to conquer.

Lisa Mentor

Joe,

Yes as Gulia mentioned there could be a high risk for cross contamination with the PB.

I also would like to mention that it might be good for you to eliminate one thing at a time - for some time- in order for you to identify an issue. If you drop several things from your diet, it will be hard to decipher the source giving your an issue.

debmidge Rising Star

Peanut butter is high in fat and especially hard to digest - all nuts are. It may or may not be the fat or, may or may not be the sugar bothering you...but if it is, all cookies are off limits until you heal or figure out what you are additionally sensitive to. Egg yolks are high in fat too.... You could have allergy to egg. Sugar substitutes like sorbitol cause diarrhea and gut upset too.

Everyone has different sensitivities - that's why what helps one may not help another. It's so individual that's why a food diary and an elimination diet is used. The idea is to write down what you consume every day (each day getting a new page of a notebook) and jot down your reaction to those foods or what you feel were your reactions. Then cut those foods out for a few months. Do not add anything new in those "elimination diet months." Yes, it's time consuming and boring but worthwhile. Additionally, you need to get a workup from a gastro to rule out other conditions which make diarrhea: pancreatic problems, diabetes, gallbaldder, IBS, Chrone's Disease, colitis... some of these are serious need medication as they can land you in a hospital after a while if not treated. Sometimes it's not all about gluten.....I don't recall if you said you brought this issue to the attention of a doctor. Call your gastro to see if you can take Immodium until you see him ....

Some people have gotten additional testing to see what foods they are sensitive to....the elimination diet is cheaper. Guhlia is right: was peanut butter used to make other stuff with (like sandwiches) wherein a knife/spoon was introduced into the peanutbutter which had wheat bread on it? That's cross contamination. Same for other ingredients: could the sugar have had white flour in it (flour when used in baking has a tendency to fly all over kitchen and if the sugar keeper lid is open the white flour could have flown into it).

We'd sure like to extend a "short cut " to you but there really isn't one - not one that I am aware of....other than low fat, bland gluten free diet. Include in diet applesauce, bananas, white rice. As you read on this board, some people have problems with potatoes and all "Nighshades*" - meaning plants/vegetables in the potato family; some can't have corn, some can't have rice, soy, dairy/casein, spices, roughage, fried foods, meats like beef and pork - these items do not have gluten, but some individuals have personal sensitivities to these foods. (*Nightshades are eggplant, paprika, pepper, cayenne pepper, chili pepper, potato, tahini, tobacco and tomato).

Go to the section of message board that is entitled "Other Food Intolerances" and see what others are saying about cutting foods out of diet.

kenlove Rising Star

Another thing to look at is the peanut butter. Some have modified food starch and/or Hydrolyzed vegetable protein/oil

which can contain wheat. Some brands are ok and some not. Since what we get here in Hawaii is often different, I have to check the labels each time. It's a total lifestyle change with teh hardest part being finding something to eat/snack on that does not cause the pain and runs. I dont eat any cookies other than the ones market gluten-free in the health food store and then only seldom as they are way over priced and not that good. Wife bakes a lot of gluten-free banana or other breads with fruit in them but usually I just have a hunk of swiss cheese which here is ok but other cheeses are not. If I have pepper jack now I wind up in the throne room. Good luck

ken

Thanks,

Joe

neesee Apprentice

Well Joe.............My money's on the fat and the sugar. I just don't digest these things well. Not even after 20 yrs gluten free.

neesee

tom Contributor

There are some testing options that may speed up the process.

You can get details in the "OMG thread". (Do NOT try to read it all - just add your questions and check back)

Otherwise, or actually, either way, a food/symptom diary is crucial.

Personally, if finding out thru elim diet, I'd eliminate MANY foods all at once, then slowly try one at a time to see what's ok.

I think eliminating one a time leaves too many variables, in an experimental sense.

Good luck Joe!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Joe, Well, has anyone mentioned the cookie sheet yet? Has you purchased a new cookie sheet for your cookies. Gluten can hide in scratches on the old cookie sheets and you may be getting gluten in that way too.

As for the peanut butter, I have used peanut butter since my first day of going gluten free, I never stopped using it. Back then, I always used Jif, it was my favorite for yrs and yrs. Now, because of many other factors, I only use Skippy Natural Creamy, and I eat it daily, for 7 yrs now. It only has 4 ingredients and I feel, the fewer ingreds, the better.

I sent an email to your yahoo addy.

Deb

Guest j_mommy

My bet would be the PB or the cookies sheet.

Also are you using the same cooking utensils from before????

Mixing eguipment that could have gotten gluten dough on it in hard to clean places????

I also gave my oven a good clean after I went gluten-free.

Is your kitche a gluten-free kitchen????

I would also do the food diary instead of cutting everything out! I sis that and found out Mt.Dew was a culprit for me!

Good Luck

Joe Hoffman Rookie

Thanks so much for all your replys and help.

This is one of the hardest things I have ever had to deal with and I am absolutely Celiac ignorant.

To answer a few questions,,,,, The peanut butter is not the problem. I have been eating small amounts if Skippy every day. My wife has not purchased new cookie sheets and utensils, but she scrubs the heck out of them after every use. Obviously we are going to have to rethink this.

We have a large family and this is all new to us. Our kitchen is far from gluten free. In fact my wife is baking cookies now for her and the kids and just the aroma/smell/odors are closing up my sinuses and making me lightheaded.

I had homemade creamy vegatable soup for lunch,,,,, a banana smoothie for a snack and a chicken breast and brown rice for dinner. My stomach is burning and really bloated. I have only made three trips to the bathroom today which probably means I am headed to the constipation part of this vicious cycle.

I am taking TUMS for the burning,,,,, please tell me TUMS are gluten free.

Thanks to everyone and Merry Christmas to all.

Joe Hoffman

Lisa Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

Tums (may contain trace) is considered gluten-free

Tums Smoothies -CONTAIN GLUTEN

tom Contributor
I had homemade creamy vegatable soup for lunch,,,,, a banana smoothie for a snack and a chicken breast and brown rice for dinner. My stomach is burning and really bloated.

Bah! Certainly no fun there.

But you can get something positive from it as it IS a datapoint.

Some reactions can be from something eaten prior to the day of the symptoms, but I think it'd be rare for 'burning & bloated'.

So something you had today caused it. Maybe a minor ingred, which is why the detective work is easier when the diet is simpler.

You CAN get to the point where you're never burning & bloated, and one way is to start a food/symptom diary today. It's nearly impossible to remember all the details if they're not written down.

Good luck Joe

Joe Hoffman Rookie

What about potato chips. The thing I miss most right now is potato chips. I have tried Cape Cod chips and they are Gluten Free, but they taste like crap. I love just plain old Lays Ridges/Ruffles, but I'm scared to try them.

Does anyone have any input on chips that are definitely gluten free?

Thanks,

Joe

tom Contributor

A lot of forum members eat "Lays Stax".

I haven't, as I think their "one or more of the following" oils is a problem for me.

I used to eat the plain Kettle chips - never liked their ridged ones - or T-joe's plain.

Gave 'em up in June and only rarely am tempted.

kbtoyssni Contributor
We have a large family and this is all new to us. Our kitchen is far from gluten free. In fact my wife is baking cookies now for her and the kids and just the aroma/smell/odors are closing up my sinuses and making me lightheaded.

If your wife is baking with wheat flour, that has an extremely high probablity of contaminating something. Flour gets in the air and settles on surfaces and it's nearly impossible to clean it up 100%. Maybe you could consider making all gluten-free cookies?

What about potato chips. The thing I miss most right now is potato chips. I have tried Cape Cod chips and they are Gluten Free, but they taste like crap. I love just plain old Lays Ridges/Ruffles, but I'm scared to try them.

I eat Lays all the time. I *think* this is one of the brands that people have had trouble with contamination, but I've never had trouble. Hopefully someone else can chime in here :) Oh, and I'm also a huge fan of Lays Stax!

kenlove Rising Star

Hard for my wife but there can be no baking with flour in the house any more. I learned that a year ago.

Just the stuff in the air even when she tried to mix the batter outside, layed me up for 3 days. I spent last xmas in bed because of it. Some celiac friends say i'm very sensitive but it has sure made a difference since we stopped all flour

changed cookie sheets and baking pans and storage containers.

I woudl also be lost without tums!

Thanks so much for all your replys and help.

This is one of the hardest things I have ever had to deal with and I am absolutely Celiac ignorant.

To answer a few questions,,,,, The peanut butter is not the problem. I have been eating small amounts if Skippy every day. My wife has not purchased new cookie sheets and utensils, but she scrubs the heck out of them after every use. Obviously we are going to have to rethink this.

I had homemade creamy vegatable soup for lunch,,,,, a banana smoothie for a snack and a chicken breast and brown rice for dinner. My stomach is burning and really bloated. I have only made three trips to the bathroom today which probably means I am headed to the constipation part of this vicious cycle.

I am taking TUMS for the burning,,,,, please tell me TUMS are gluten free.

Thanks to everyone and Merry Christmas to all.

Joe Hoffman

Archived