• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

jasmineflower

Do I Have Leaky Gut?

Rate this topic

I have been feeling depressed for the past few years... it got really bad these last few months and so I decided to take a food sensitivity test (IgG reaction test)

I ended up being intolerant to 31 different foods, including being highly intolerant (+3) to baker's yeast and brewer's yeast, and mildly intolerant (+2) to pork, pineapple, and peanuts. The rest of the foods that had a (+1) sensitivity were citrus fruits like oranges, tangerines, and lemons, and other random foods like avocado, asparagus, lettuce, and garlic.

This to me was really weird. It is possible that I have a leaky gut?

I'm not sure if I'm gluten intolerant, but I *Know* for sure that I am casein intolerant. Could accidentally eating casein be causing this leaky gut issue?

Could accidentally eating casein be causing this leaky gut issue?

I believe it could, tho I wish I knew a lot more about the causes of leaky gut.

I ended up being intolerant to 31 different foods, including being highly intolerant (+3) to baker's yeast and brewer's yeast, ....

I had a test like this and the high yeast scores led me to find I had a yeast overgrowth / intestinal candida problem.

You should certainly look into that.

I ended up w/ a Naturopath, as MDs don't seem to do much about it.

Google "candida quiz" and "candida spit test" for more info.

But is having food sensitivity to 31 foods a sign of a leaky gut? Or does everyone have lots of food sensitivies, and we're being overly-paranoid by trying to avoid all these foods?

Being sensitive to yeast... would that really be a sign of candida? Cos otherwise wouldn't I have turned up sensitive to other foods that feed candida, like cane sugar and mushrooms?

But is having food sensitivity to 31 foods a sign of a leaky gut? Or does everyone have lots of food sensitivies, and we're being overly-paranoid by trying to avoid all these foods?

Being sensitive to yeast... would that really be a sign of candida? Cos otherwise wouldn't I have turned up sensitive to other foods that feed candida, like cane sugar and mushrooms?

I am not an expert - so I can only repeat to you what I have read after a lot of research. From everything I have read, yes, multiple food sensitivities can indicate leaky gut - particularly if you cut out the foods that bother you and then develop new sensitivities to the foods you are consuming most. The idea is that the permeable membrane of leaky gut is allowing food particles that are too large to cross over into the bloodstream. The body then sees these too-large particles as enemies and attacks them. This results in the sensitivity. There does seem to be hope that the sensitivities are reversible. I am not talking about celiac disease here, because with celiac the immune response happens right in the gut, not after too-large particles seep out of the gut. I do personally believe that a lot of celiacs have damaged their intestines and have a permeable membrane and have both the gut response inside the intestines AND the response outside the intestines - particularly the "opiate effect", but that is a side issue. :) There seems to be hope that if you heal the gut, you may be able to tolerate some of those foods again.

I sure wish all of this was better understood and it was easier to diagnose. It seems like the gut is so central to all other health, which make sense, but it doesn't seem like it is very well understood within the medical community, even among the experts.

Cathy

Being sensitive to yeast... would that really be a sign of candida?

Absolutely.

As far as sugar etc not showing up in a test, I think it's just a different situation than what the test looks for. The sugar feeds the yeast, but the test can only look at the body's reaction, not the yeasts'. (?) I'm not saying this well at all.

Maybe someone else can, or I can try again later.

I had leaky gut and yes leaky gut can lead to tons of wierd food allergies/sensitivities. I was basically reacting to "everything!".

I had leaky gut due to candida overgrowth. Here is a good questionare to take to see if this is you.

http://www.yeastconnection.com/pdf/yeastfullsurv.pdf This is a long one but I feel its more intuitive.

Another good website is www.wholeapproach.com and www.wholeapproach.com/diet.

L-Glutamine helps heal leaky gut. If you do find you have bacterial overgrowth (which most leaky gut people do from one thing or another ) then taking L-glutamine and probiotics might get you started in the right direction.

I have to do an antifungal/probiotic rotation along with my anti-candida diet for a while now. This is because I have underlying issues that prevents my body from healing completely from candida. Until I can address these underlying issues, I try and keep a good clean diet along with the other to keep it in check.