This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Can't I Lose Weight?

ruthla

ruthla Contributor

Back in July, I weighed 190 lbs and I lost 18 lbs on a low-carb diet. I'm only 5'2" and my goal weight is 140 lbs. Right now I weigh 172.

After changing my eating habits, and no longer relying on grains as staples of my meals, I decided I was ready to try going wheat-free, which I've long suspected caused health problems for me, but I never had the willpower to try it.

After being halfheartedly wheat-free several times, I decided to do a real trial of a gluten-free diet to see if it will help me. I also cut out legumes and all dairy at the same time, although I've been cheating with soy lately. This morning I had a full ounce of soy nog in my coffee, and I had some almond milk 2 weeks ago that was made with soy lecithin.

I've been gluten-free and DF for 7 weeks now, and I haven't lost any weight in that time. Well, I did lose 2 lbs and then gained them back. I'm still eating low carb- so why isn't the weight still coming off? It's as if going gluten-free stopped the weight loss?

If you want to take a look at my Open Original Shared Link maybe you can help me fine-tune my diet?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator

Diet is only half of the equation. If you aren't exercising, then you won't lose weight. Cardio and strength training are important - not only for weight loss, but for maintaining that, and also being overall healthy.

Also, "low carb" diets aren't particularly healthy. Eliminating refined carbohydrates is the better option. You should definitely be eating a correct combination of proteins, good fats, and complex carbohydrates.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I would make sure my thyroid was working properly - if it is underactive, it can keep you overweight. And diabetes might be another thing. make sure you don't have some underlying medical condition contributing to it being difficult to lose weight. My sister just got on thyroid meds and has lost 20-30 pounds already. And is happier, and has more hair.

If it is not an underlying medical condition, I would investigate further. First, I would suggest you try to determine your metabolic type. You can check out a book at the library no doubt. Right now there aren't any good free online tests.

protein types do well with low carb high protein animal based diets

carb types do well with high carb low protein diets

mixed types ... well, pretty obvious

I bring this up because if you're not losing weight on low carb, it might not be the best kind of diet for you.

One thing you might look into is the raw food diet. It is hard to stay on, but can be very good for losing weight. You can search it on YouTube and see various folks who have tried it. This would only work if your digestion is strong enough to handle it. I've been doing well on it myself. If you have any questions about it, PM me. Again, you could check out raw food diet books from the library...way better than buying them since books with recipies either work for you or don't - no sense wasting money.

Good luck.

ruthla Contributor
Iprotein types do well with low carb high protein animal based diets

carb types do well with high carb low protein diets

mixed types ... well, pretty obvious

I bring this up because if you're not losing weight on low carb, it might not be the best kind of diet for you.

I've been losing weight on low-carb- in fact, it's the only way I've ever lost weight and kept it off. I'm most definitely a "protein type."

Exercise isn't really an option because of my fibromyalgia- some days I can be active, and other days I just can't be, not without being in pain for several days afterwards.

Anyway, I got on the scale again this morning and I'm down to 168.5 :) I suspect that my "cheats" of soy products kept me bloated, and the bloating kept the scale up even when I was still losing fat. I've been averaging half a pound a week for the past 2 months, and that includes some days when I wasn't being careful with my diet.

celiac-mommy Collaborator
Back in July, I weighed 190 lbs and I lost 18 lbs on a low-carb diet. I'm only 5'2" and my goal weight is 140 lbs. Right now I weigh 172.

If you want to take a look at my Open Original Shared Link maybe you can help me fine-tune my diet?

I looked at your fitday journal and if that's accurate, it doesn't appear that you're eating enough. 1200 calories is not enough if you want to lose weight. Your body goes into "starvation mode" and holds onto whatever you put in because it doesn't know when it will get nourishment again. This happened to me. When I stared looking at the numbers, I increased the calories and started dropping weight like crazy!

This is what I figure based on what you said:

Your RMR (resting metabolic rate--the amount of calories needed to sustain life functions) is 1744--this is for a sedentary lifestyle with little or no exercise.

-2000 for a lightly active lifestyle (light exercise 1-3 days a week)

-2250 for a moderately active lifestyle (moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)

These numbers are based on your current height and weight and will change as you lose weight. Like lorka150 said, you have to exercise. It's really important to try do do something every day if possible. You have to have a defecit with your calories in/out, so if you worked out 6-7 days a week and ate ~1600 calories you would lose ~2# a week, add in weight training and you'd lose more--10# muscle gained=500 extra calories burned per day doing nothing!! I can go into more detail if you want, you can PM me.

tarnalberry Community Regular

You may find that the lack of activity on many days is part of the problem - it's lowered your metabolism. I know, I know... trying to find a balance that keeps you from being unable to do anything for days is a problem. I'm still working on finding mine. But you need to get out and do something - and it is likely to help you have more pain free days. If you can get out and walk (just a stroll) for a half mile one day - do it. If you can do that two times one day, do that. No, it's not big things, but it's little things that keep your body moving and active that can make a nontrivial impact on your metabolism. (Maybe it's something different, but I picked walking because we all do some of that during the day.)

ruthla Contributor
I looked at your fitday journal and if that's accurate, it doesn't appear that you're eating enough. 1200 calories is not enough if you want to lose weight.

That's how much I've eaten so far today, with breakfast and lunch. I haven't had dinner yet.

Did you read my update this morning? I'm down 4 lbs from the last time I stepped on the scale about a week ago- which means 2 lbs weight lost in the past month- I'm guessing the weight gain was water weight/bloating.

I'm being as active as I can- but I can't do so consistently and weight training is out of the question right now (unless carrying in bags of groceries counts as weight training. :lol:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator
That's how much I've eaten so far today, with breakfast and lunch. I haven't had dinner yet.

Did you read my update this morning? I'm down 4 lbs from the last time I stepped on the scale about a week ago- which means 2 lbs weight lost in the past month- I'm guessing the weight gain was water weight/bloating.

We must have been writing at the same time, I didn't see your update-or notice the lack of dinner in your journal (it's been a long week!!). Conrats!! I know how frustrating it is trying to lose weight. I've been there. As far as the exercise goes, do whatever you can do, it's just important to move. If you can't lift weights, can you do yoga/pilates? That would help loosen up your muscles, my mom finds the yoga helps with the fibromyalgia. You are also working with your own resistance instead of actual weights so it does build muscles. Keep up the good work! ;)

confusedks Enthusiast

Ruthla,

I don't really know how to answer your weight loss questions, but I am wondering if you can find a yoga dvd for beginners and do just 10 minutes every other day to start? Something to help.

I don't have fibro, but I do have Lyme and I have major joint/muscle pains all the time, so I understand the exercise thing. My Lyme Dr. told me to start with Yoga 2x a week...with as little as 10 minutes per time I do it. I am too weak to do much else, but he said it's CRUCIAL to do something.

He also told me NOT to do aerobic exercise, because when you don't have good stamina and are weak, it can be unnecessarily exhausting on your already tired body.

I hope this helps some. And, congrats on the weight loss! :D

sickchick Community Regular

Sorry about your weight issues. After I first began having Celiac issues I gained about 45 pounds. Just because everything was going through me and I was trying to keep up.

I am 5'2 at my heaviest I was 167. I was so miserable, I have always been very active and I have always worked out and taken care of myself.

Eventually it got to the point where I could exercize again (I couldn't for about 6 years because it would mess with me too bad and effect my mood & such)

I walk 20 minutes a day (it takes very little time) during the winter I use my 40" trampoline and I jog in place basically.

After about 12 weeks you should notice a difference. I use a small hand weight and hold it while I do ab crunches. I do about 75 a day. I made a permanent change to be healthy. I am stubborn though and it's easy for me to set goals and stick with them ;)

I have been 115 for almost 4 years now.

Some people say not to look at your scale.

I didn't look at my scale for 6 years and I wish I had.

Good luck!

Keep fighting you are worth it :)

lovelove

sickchick

Archived