• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

HI All!

I normally make up a month of menus - breakfast, lunch, dinner . It keeps me from serving the same ole same ole as well as cuts down on time (I can see if I need to boil a couple of chickens at once instead of one chicken two different times) I'll make out my Jan list in the next couple of days and realized we are going gluten free Jan 11 after the baby's biopsy. Now that crunch time is here, I'm overwhelmed as to what to fix for food. Especially since I wanted to keep this first month or two as simple and natural as possible while we get everyone's tummies healed up. So I was wondering what do you all here eat?? please be a specific as possible. I'm horrible in the kitchen and I have developed over a time a very good system of "winter food", "summer food" and roate out a couple of months of diffirent meals which require virtually no thought now and is very automatic now. Most of which will be plopped into the trash as they are heavy pasta, bready foods. So this diet will be a large departure from normal anyway. Until I am comfortable getting non gluten food in the house and getting it on the table, it will be awhile before I will feel able to adapt our normal eats. I am salvaging the following meals even though some will have to be postponed awhile (I read on here to forgo a lot of gluten free items(breads and such) at first and add those in gradually):

Scrambled eggs, sausage - will eventually add in homemade pancakes/waffles for those quickie mornings ( I think I can make em up and freeze em)

Lunch

hot dog weiners tooasted with cheese( will one day tyr the cheebee bread for buns)

unbreaded chicken nuggetts

Dinner

meat - chicken, pork, fish with steamed vegge of some kind ( I vary it on the menu plan)

alfredo pasta tossed with chicken

chilli

hamburgers/fries

That's all I can think of this late. I need a serious menu overhaul!!!!!!! If it isn't served on pasta, over under or in between bread, we pretty don't eat it!!!!)

When I get a list made out , I can share it with others. I make them up in excel(or is it word - up till 1:00 last night getting Santa ready and up at four with 3 very excited kids -I can barely think of my own name!) At first, I had a grocery list attached as well as the recipes hooked to each week to make it even easier.

Thanks

Stacie

You'll find OODLES of suggestions if you look through the posts on here from the past year or two (and I suggest it not merely because I'm lazy, but also because we'll make lots of suggestions, but forget lots of ones that have been suggested before, and you might find some fun things by going back and looking for posts like this one).

Some things I often eat...

Breakfast:

Peanut butter and plain rice cakes (Lundberg Farms Rice Cakes)

Scrambled eggs and rice cakes w/ seaweed (Lundberg Farms Rice Cakes)

Quinoa Flakes w/ Flax Meal w/ Almond or Hemp Milk and Cinnamon

Gluten Free Cereal (like Nutty Rice or Rice Crunch-Ems) w/ Hemp Milk

Smoothies from frozen fruit and rice protein powder

Gluten free pancakes (I make extras on the weekend and reheat frozen ones during the week)

Lunch:

Usually dinner leftovers

Tuna tacos (tuna, avocado, tomatoes, rolled in corn tortillas w/ a lettuce leaf)

... oh, this one varies too much for me to remember! ...

Dinner:

Chili

Stir-fries (can get easily four very different variations out of this w/ chicken, beef, pork, and fish)

Stew

Chicken Soup

Grilled Meat and Veggies

Veggie Soup

(I have a thread with a bunch of recipes... As Promised, A Few Recipes

Do you use a crockpot? That is my saving grace since i work full-time with two young children in the house. In the crockpot I make:

chili

roast beef with potatoes and carrots

Salsa chicken (someone's recipe from this site)

Carribean pork (again someone's recipe from here)

italian sausage in Trader Joe's marinara sauce

pineapple chicken (take boneless, skinless chicken, a can of diced pineapple, and 1 cup of La Choy's ginger garlic marinade). Serve over brown rice

chicken breasts in Trader Joe's marinara sauce

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Terri :rolleyes:

You can get gluten-free pasta. Get the brown rice, not corn.

Use rice and potatoes instead of bread. You'll find the premade gluten-free breads don't taste good, but if you're going to resort to them, try the almond.

Pamela's pancake mix is the best, but does have dairy, so if you find she can't have dairy either I recommend making your own from scratch. There are some recipes here. You can substitute rice milk with lemon for buttermilk.

Corn tortillas are good if you can heat them up. They don't work so well cold, so I don't use them for lunch.

You can use lettuce as a hamburger bun. I don't mind eating hamburgers without the bun or cheese now. I do use a lot of ketchup and mustard.

Seasoning, seasoning, seasoning. Don't be afraid of McCormick's. The company will label any gluten on the label. Kraft is also very good. Be careful of some other brands because they will hide gluten.

Make some gluten-free treats. Here is the easiest gluten-free cookie recipe in the world. Mix 1 cup peanut butter (natural if you're going to start avoiding soy), 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 egg with a wooden spoon. Roll into balls and bake at 375 for about 12 minutes. If you can eat dairy, you can add a Hershey's Kiss before baking. If not, you can add confectioner's sugar on top. Yummy.

Lots of fruit! Yummy. Bake some apples with brown sugar and cinnamon for an easy dessert.

Veggies are gluten-free but watch the sauces.

There are soooo many possibilities, and they don't need to be expensive. Just go back to the basics.

Try some of the gluten-free pastas-I like Tinkyada and Orgran.

For meatballs and meatloaf you can process gluten-free cereal such as Health Valley Corn Crunch Em's. It's cheaper than the containers of gluten-free breadcrumbs. For breading items I use the containers of gluten-free crumbs, crumbs from my homemade bread or process a loaf of Ener-G bread and freeze it without drying it out. Most don't like the Ener-G bread to eat as is but it works well for the fresh bread crumbs and in stuffing. I bread and freeze chicken strips and thinly pounded cutlets and then put the strips straight into the fryer from the freezer and defrost and pan fry the cutlets.

If you browse the cooking and baking forum there are LOTS of good recipies posted.

Our first instinct when first gluten-free was mexican - taco night, nacho night, tostadas, etc. etc

Breakfast for dinner (Scrambled Eggs, bacon/sausage, fresh fruit) ---- on allrecipes.com there is a great/easy recipe for Oven Baked Scrambled Eggs - YUM!

If you have the time, search through the previous posts, here. There are endless suggestions and terrific ideas!

Good luck!