Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweetfudge

Getting Tired Of Forgetting To Take Lactaid - Think I Might Have To Go Off Dairy

the title pretty much sums it up, had a food allergy test done a while ago, dr said i scored a 3 out of 5/6 on being intolerant to dairy, to try lactaid, and if that didn't help, cut dairy out. well, i have tried lactaid, and it helps when i take it. i seem to forget to take it about half the time, and so i'm not feeling much better. so i think i might be cutting it out of my diet. but i'm so scared to, because i love it! i love cooking and baking, and am worried about using substitutions for cheese and milk. i tried soymilk and rice cheese when i was on an IBS diet a couple years ago, and didn't love either. what's the best out there?

THANKS!!!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I haven't found that there are any good substitutions for dairy products. if it's really lactose, however, you should still be able to have some hard cheese and yogurt in your diet - particularly full fat versions, as they have very little lactose in them. Other than that, it's been a matter of adapting around dairy and finding new things. Doable, but there isn't anything quite like it.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

How can I tell the difference? In what I am intolerant to, and what products contain which?

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Well, it can be tricky, but if the lactaid makes all the symptoms go away, then it's dealing with the lactose and you're dealing with the casein, and you know that you're lactose intolerance, and can eat anything low in lactose (or with lactaid).

Since lactose is a milk sugar, dairy items with the least sugar and the most fat and protein are going to be best for the lactose intolerant. Yogurt, where the lactose has been at least partially digested by the added probiotics, is also good for some lactose-intolerant folks. In general, with cheese, the harder the cheese, the less lactose, and it goes much the same way for yogurts (strained and greek yogurts, for instance). Butter would have just trace amounts. Pretty much all dairy has casein, however (no one removes protein), though butter also only has trace amounts.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

If you are only dealing with lactose then what Tarnalberry said is totally right.

I think it is worth taking out all dairy/casein including butter for a month and then eating ice cream and seeing what happens. It isn't really that big of a deal to me anymore to have no dairy, and I used to have it on everything!

I still do miss it, I won't lie, but nothing tastes good enough for a migraine, IMO. I also tested higher for casein than gluten through enterolab... so that convinced me!

Good Luck!

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007