• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

x1x_Stargirl_x1x

Hard To Control Addictions

Rate this topic

i have some issues with addictions. i'll stick to the diet for a while, and then randomly i'll eat something i shouldn't when i'm not paying attention. then i realize it's bad and i KEEP eating it because well... it's addicting.

like recently i ate a jawbreaker i couldn't have. then, even after i realized it, i kept eating it in secret because it was addicting. not like it tasted good so i kept eating it, it was like a drug or something i just had to eat it. it's hard to stop, it's like you don't feel good unless you have it. but it's not like that before you eat something, its like that after you've eaten it. i can't really explain it.

does anyone know what i mean?

While I don't know from personal experience what you mean, I certainly believe you. I would ask two questions: First, are you on any medications that can cause addicting behaviors (like Mirapex can, for instance)? Second, have you had this sort of thing happen in any other area of your life, anything at all similar, before? If you think either question can be answered positively, I would encourage you to talk to your doctor about it, and consider talking with a psychologist - not because I'm implying it's made up, but rather that they may be able to help you find a mechanism to stop the behavior despite it appearing to active the reward center of your brain.

I have realized that I have a food addiction. I don't purposly eat anything with gluten, but I have trouble with portion control. I find something that I can eat, and I eat it until I can't possibly put another bite in my mounth. I feel so full and bloated afterwards, but I can't stop myself.

While I don't know from personal experience what you mean, I certainly believe you. I would ask two questions: First, are you on any medications that can cause addicting behaviors (like Mirapex can, for instance)? Second, have you had this sort of thing happen in any other area of your life, anything at all similar, before? If you think either question can be answered positively, I would encourage you to talk to your doctor about it, and consider talking with a psychologist - not because I'm implying it's made up, but rather that they may be able to help you find a mechanism to stop the behavior despite it appearing to active the reward center of your brain.

Thanks for the advice, i think i might have to analyze some aspects of my life. in fact, just after i wrote this, i was reading a book that said something like you don't do anything bad unless there's a payoff. such as if you do drugs there's the payoff of escaping from reality. or if you yell at someone, you get to burn off anger at yourself or perhaps somone else. thanks again. :)

i have some issues with addictions. i'll stick to the diet for a while, and then randomly i'll eat something i shouldn't when i'm not paying attention. then i realize it's bad and i KEEP eating it because well... it's addicting.

like recently i ate a jawbreaker i couldn't have. then, even after i realized it, i kept eating it in secret because it was addicting. not like it tasted good so i kept eating it, it was like a drug or something i just had to eat it. it's hard to stop, it's like you don't feel good unless you have it. but it's not like that before you eat something, its like that after you've eaten it. i can't really explain it.

does anyone know what i mean?

Hi

I have a question, are you symptomatic? because i know how you feel like you would still eat it and all, but i'm to scared to eat anything because i'm scared of getting sick.

Hi

I have a question, are you symptomatic? because i know how you feel like you would still eat it and all, but i'm to scared to eat anything because i'm scared of getting sick.

i usually have bad headaches and i don't feel good overall in general, and i also get moody.

if i eat a lot of either gluten or milk, i sometimes have hallucinations, due to my epilepsy.

i know, i feel like a real nimrod cause i have these symptoms, and they're usually horrible, and sometimes i just go ahead and eat stuff. like i said, it's addicting

Oh man, I pity you. I understand completely. I find that the best thing to do is to eat (or in my case go on the computer... I was addicted to things I shouldnt've done forever) in the presence of others. Make sure friends/family are around all the time. It helps.