Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scotty

Antibiotics....?

i had the worst case of candida known to man. it has been 6 months of gluten free with symptoms of candida still present i'll say. recently i had a major glutenening from rice puffs, cereal stuff; really set me back here. next thing i know i got strep, now i am quite sick. what i am wondering is if anyone thinks it might be a good or bad idea to go and try some antibiotics to fight this thing?

only when hope is fulfilled, hope is lost

*D-Digestive problems throughout youth and young adulthood unattended

*Self-convinced IBS '04 (began eating rice, breads, crackers...SFs to 'slow' the natural process)

*Winter '06 developed severely swelled legs with rashes, white tongue

*Self-diagnosed; Gluten Free Spring '07

*Celiac.com diagnosed Candida, Thrush Spring '07 (all that 3 years prior of nothing but rice)

*Celiac.com diagnosed IC Summer '07

*Winter '08 pursuing more accurate testing for dianosis of the beast in which I am battling

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

i had the worst case of candida known to man. it has been 6 months of gluten free with symptoms of candida still present i'll say. recently i had a major glutenening from rice puffs, cereal stuff; really set me back here. next thing i know i got strep, now i am quite sick. what i am wondering is if anyone thinks it might be a good or bad idea to go and try some antibiotics to fight this thing?

If you have confirmed strep from a throat culture, I would take the antibiotics.

I also have battled with candida over the years from repeated courses of antibiotics for repeated sinus infections. But now I can occasionally take antibiotics with little complications. But to this day, I always take probiotics daily. And when I take the antibiotics, I double the probiotics and start up the natural antifungals again (taken 2 hours after taking the antibiotics. This keeps things under control for me.

Celiac blood testing negative July 2007

Confirmed diagnosis of wheat allergy by skin test Dec 2007

Gluten-lite since July 2007 (didn't know all the hidden sources of gluten)

Gluten-free since December 2007

Life Long Symptoms

Extreme fatigue--needing 10-12 hours of sleep and still woke up exhusted

Allergic to everything--allergies remained out of control despite shots and strict enviornmental controls in my home.

Severe "sinus" headaches

More Recent Symptoms

IBS symptoms

Severe stabbing stomach pains that started 6 months before diagnosis of wheat allergy.

In my heart I feel it is more than an allergy and that I am gluten intolerant. This is based on my how eerily my childhood maladies match most celiac's histories, and my more recent increase in the severity of my usual symptoms and new digestive symptoms that have already started to subside on the gluten-free diet.

I agree that if you have confirmed strep throat you need antibiotics. It's uncommon but untreated strep can cause kidney or heart valve damage in the future.

I wasn't quite clear on your question but if you are asking about antibiotics for candida, I don't think they will help. You would need an antifungal I think.