This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Do For The Pain?

kenlove

kenlove Rising Star

Even after two years of being diagnosed and as diligent as possible, accidents happen.

Christmas day I was talking to a friends mom while she was breading shrimp. Big Mistake as I must have breathed in something as I had not eaten anything. By 6pm I was home in bed in pain.

Yesterday I was glutened again although I cant figure out how. This time its a very painful knot in the stomach.

Where as over the past years, I had dh problems, these last two times have been painful stomach cramps.

Tums helps a little but not with pain. Aleve lets me sleep but still i'm still waking up in pain or for multiple bathroom runs from the glutening.

Have any of you found something that helps deal with the pain for a day or two after an accident?

Thanks much

Ken

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Ken, I found that a homeopathic remedy called sepia helps with the stomach pain when glutened. I let about six little pellets dissolve under the tongue, and repeat every two to three hours until the pain stays away.

Also, for heartburn/reflux from eating something wrong, I find that the homeopathic remedy 'nux vomica' (also called colubrina) works very well.

Here is a link with some helpful advice about those homeopathic remedies.

Open Original Shared Link

~alex~ Explorer

If you haven't already tried it, a simple hot water bottle helps quite a bit for me. If you need a break from the diarrhea, you might want to take some Imodium and that will probably also help with the pain/cramping for awhile.

Lins Rookie

I've found that a heating pad set to low really gives me relief when I have stomach pain from gluten. Just try not to fall asleep with it on!!!

I didn't realize the acid reflux and stuff goes hand in hand with Celiac. That explains a lot, lol.

Erica94 Rookie

I've found that a heating pad set to low really gives me relief when I have stomach pain from gluten. Just try not to fall asleep with it on!!!

i totally agree!! stupid me, i got sick a couple months ago from eating too much junk food, and usually carbs help make my stomach better, so i pretty much ate them nonstop for 3 months, not realizing why i wasn't getting any better. well the only thing that helped was a heating pad, so i lay on it for most of the day every day and it felt so much better!! of course, it hurt again once i got off it, but still... if u think u mite fall asleep with it on, get one that turns off automatically. mine is ... i don't know, but i'll post again later and put in the brand. :)

kenlove Rising Star

Thanks much Ursa,

I had forgot about sepia. I used to take it for something but it was so long ago I forgot!

Will try again!

thanks again

ken

Ken, I found that a homeopathic remedy called sepia helps with the stomach pain when glutened. I let about six little pellets dissolve under the tongue, and repeat every two to three hours until the pain stays away.

Also, for heartburn/reflux from eating something wrong, I find that the homeopathic remedy 'nux vomica' (also called colubrina) works very well.

Here is a link with some helpful advice about those homeopathic remedies.

kenlove Rising Star

Thanks,

The diarrhea has not been a problem when i get glutened -- well 99% of the time. Just pain which I dont have much of a threshold for.

Will try the heat treatment and see if it helps.

take care

If you haven't already tried it, a simple hot water bottle helps quite a bit for me. If you need a break from the diarrhea, you might want to take some Imodium and that will probably also help with the pain/cramping for awhile.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Yeah he acid reflux thing is terrible -- even when I dont eat. It often wakes me up.

Will try the heat treatment!

thanks!

I didn't realize the acid reflux and stuff goes hand in hand with Celiac. That explains a lot, lol.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

First off have you checked the kind of Tums you are using for gluten? Not all are gluten free. I use Pepto Bismal for stomach pain. It usually takes care of it in just one dose. I use St Josephs baby asprin for pain. I start with 4 and if that doesn't work I take the other four in the reccommended dose. I like it because it helps with the inflammation I get. I do not take both at the same time however as pepto also contains a form of asprin.

kenlove Rising Star

I forget which tums it was but it has not given me a problem at all. I think its just the original plain type. Have also done the ST Josephs but it does not seem to do anything. Guess I just need to sleep it off!

thanks

Ken

First off have you checked the kind of Tums you are using for gluten? Not all are gluten free. I use Pepto Bismal for stomach pain. It usually takes care of it in just one dose. I use St Josephs baby asprin for pain. I start with 4 and if that doesn't work I take the other four in the reccommended dose. I like it because it helps with the inflammation I get. I do not take both at the same time however as pepto also contains a form of asprin.
Beacon60 Newbie

I was diagnosed 2 and a half years ago and I still have accidents. I believe that my system must be getting more sensitive because I used to just have multiple bathroom runs when I ate gluten, but lately I have lots of pain too. Three days ago I KNOW that I didn't eat gluten because I prepared all of my food, but I still had a very painful night, and up and down all night long. Is it possible that my system is just raw and other foods are impacting me as well? I am not lactose intolerant. Mary

kenlove Rising Star

Had to double check that what you wrote wasnt what I wrote-- I have to wonder about my system too.

Sometimes I just cant figure out what caused it as I have no problems with other things == or didnt other than gluten.

Maybe there is enough in the air to cause trouble although my wife no longer bakes anything here. She still has some regular bread around but its well isolated from anything I use or touch.

Ken

I was diagnosed 2 and a half years ago and I still have accidents. I believe that my system must be getting more sensitive because I used to just have multiple bathroom runs when I ate gluten, but lately I have lots of pain too. Three days ago I KNOW that I didn't eat gluten because I prepared all of my food, but I still had a very painful night, and up and down all night long. Is it possible that my system is just raw and other foods are impacting me as well? I am not lactose intolerant. Mary
  • 1 month later...
highrentsmile Rookie

I too found that heat helps. I have a wrap that has inserts you can place in the microwave. It is great. I also have found that if I can stand getting out of bed, putting my feet in a warm foot bath helps. Your feet affect so many parts of your body, maybe that is why. I also use lavander and vanilla essential oils to calm me down. I am always overwhelmed and angry when I get glutened! Here is a link to, what I have found, are the safest essential oils, if that might help you:

kenlove Rising Star

Thanks, interesting site.

My friends wife has a company here Aloha Therapy and bottles and sells a number of organic oils including lavander and vanilla.

Sent her an email to send me some. Planted a number of small lavender plants this week too. Even the oder has a calming effect.

I've not had a problem since new years but suspect I'll get it by accident again one of these days

take care

Ken

I too found that heat helps. I have a wrap that has inserts you can place in the microwave. It is great. I also have found that if I can stand getting out of bed, putting my feet in a warm foot bath helps. Your feet affect so many parts of your body, maybe that is why. I also use lavander and vanilla essential oils to calm me down. I am always overwhelmed and angry when I get glutened! Here is a link to, what I have found, are the safest essential oils, if that might help you:

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I forget which tums it was but it has not given me a problem at all. I think its just the original plain type. Have also done the ST Josephs but it does not seem to do anything. Guess I just need to sleep it off!

thanks

Ken

Ken I would not trust those Tums if I were you. Remember that gluten is often a delayed reaction. The tums may help with symptom relief in the short run but is liable to give you symptoms a couple of days later. Which of course would cause you to take more Tums and continue the cycle indefinately. It is your choice but IMHO I wouldn't touch them with someone else's hand.

Does TUMS

Ursa Major Collaborator

Since this part of my reply was ignored I want to repeat: I get VERY BAD acid reflux when glutened. So bad that I would be unable to sleep before a doctor in Germany prescribed NUX VOMICA for me last summer.

It is amazing stuff. When I start getting acid reflux and/or heartburn, I let five of those pellets dissolve under my tongue. Within five minutes I am fine. It is extremely rare that I have to repeat the treatment.

NO antacids have EVER worked as well for me. And entirely without side effects, too.

kenlove Rising Star

Dont know if its available here in Hawaii but sounds like its good to check into. ONly get the reflux if I eat something with tomato late at night. Hate being woken up from the gerd coming up.

Since this part of my reply was ignored I want to repeat: I get VERY BAD acid reflux when glutened. So bad that I would be unable to sleep before a doctor in Germany prescribed NUX VOMICA for me last summer.

It is amazing stuff. When I start getting acid reflux and/or heartburn, I let five of those pellets dissolve under my tongue. Within five minutes I am fine. It is extremely rare that I have to repeat the treatment.

NO antacids have EVER worked as well for me. And entirely without side effects, too.

kenlove Rising Star

It's really hard to say for sure but your description sounds very familiar. This thread started on New Years when I had an accidental glutening at a friends New Years party. Didnt eat anything, just breathing air around the kitchen while people were breading and making tempura. I didnt notice what they were doing at first, just alked in to say hello to people. When I did notice I left the kitchen to talk to others. It was about 30 minutes later I started to feel the knotting. It was gone in 2 days and I've not had any accidents since.

I get different reactions to different accidents. Breathing something in the air gives me the knotted gut, Eating something mostly causes DH but sometimes knotting pain. I also take a lot of C and make tea from fresh ginger, lemon grass and loquat leaf. Sometimes tumeric.

Since I grow all of these it depends on whats in season.

Just glad I dont have many accidents anymore. I was first diagnosed in June 06 and have been diligent in watching the diet. When accidents have happened the D and constipation have alternated and I've not been able to figure out what causes what. I dont think it is necessarily from accidental gluten but more from what I hate that my almost non existent vili were trying to process. I just cant handle the greens I used to eat and have started to eat some meats for the first time in many years which I dont have a bad reaction too other than weight gain.

take care

Ken, do you understand what is causing the pain? I get knotted up - it seems to be at the top of the small intestine and I get spasms or increased peristalsis that feels like my heart is throbbing but don't have pain. I may have a little pain later on from gas. I get bloated and gassy and sometimes burp up little bits of what I've eaten. With me, when I can feel the spasms I can also feel the knotted up area and I massage it until the muscles relax. This allows the food, which seems to have been blocked in the upper small intestine cramped area to move on and the food clears from my stomach and I feel a great sense of relief. By then though I usually have other cramped areas lower down my intestine that I find by feeling with my fingers for pulsing and soreness, so I massage until that stops. When I get these blockages I can feel very bad very rapidly probably from the toxins in the gut adsorbed into my body. It takes several days for whatever I'm reacting to to pass through me. I take high doses of Vitamin C, Lots of turmeric ( a spice that's an anti-inflammatory), and cinnamon.

You may not appreciate the D reaction but it is your body's way of clearing the irritating stuff out of your gut. I tend to become constipated so I have to work harder to get the stuff out of me.

I have read that the gluten reaction can go unnoticed for years in some people and all that time their small intestine is being damaged. It's possible that the gluten reaction is not painful immediatly because it takes some time for the for the reaction to occur. It's not usually an immediate allergic reaction and I think that's the reason so many people who are gluten intolerant don't just avoid gluten until they are diagnosed or hear about the condition and try a gluten free diet. The cause and effect is not obvious.

But you and many other people have a rapid reaction to what appears to be gluten since you can find gluten as an ingredient of what you were exposed to. I'd really like to hear what you and other people think about what is happening when we get these reactions.

HAK1031 Enthusiast

I put on sweatpants (my stomach gets so distended I can't button my jeans) and drink hot ginger tea. Sometimes sitting on the toilet helps "move things along" <_< I also eat rice...I find that having benign food in my stomach actually makes it feel a bit better.

kenlove Rising Star

The ginger tea is really good, especially with fresh ginger. My shirt sizes range from L to XXXL depending on how distended my belly is.

Most of my friends tease me about beer belly but I never liked beer even before I had celiac.

Ken

I put on sweatpants (my stomach gets so distended I can't button my jeans) and drink hot ginger tea. Sometimes sitting on the toilet helps "move things along" <_< I also eat rice...I find that having benign food in my stomach actually makes it feel a bit better.
Ursa Major Collaborator

Ken, if tomatoes give you GERD, I say that you are likely intolerant to them and shouldn't eat tomatoes at all. I get acid reflux from tomatoes as well (plus migraines), and I have been confirmed intolerant to the nightshade family, including tomatoes.

kenlove Rising Star

Never did like raw tomato, its just tomato sauce that does it to me now which is something I seldom have. Other nightshades dont bother me at all. My grandmother was the same way and never ate tomatoes. Prior to diagnosis I never had any trouble with anything although plenty of likes and dislikes/ Now I have to relearn it all again.

take care

Ken, if tomatoes give you GERD, I say that you are likely intolerant to them and shouldn't eat tomatoes at all. I get acid reflux from tomatoes as well (plus migraines), and I have been confirmed intolerant to the nightshade family, including tomatoes.
silk Contributor

i totally agree!! stupid me, i got sick a couple months ago from eating too much junk food, and usually carbs help make my stomach better, so i pretty much ate them nonstop for 3 months, not realizing why i wasn't getting any better. well the only thing that helped was a heating pad, so i lay on it for most of the day every day and it felt so much better!! of course, it hurt again once i got off it, but still... if u think u mite fall asleep with it on, get one that turns off automatically. mine is ... i don't know, but i'll post again later and put in the brand. :)

You might also want to try one of those rice bags that you can heat up in the microwave. You may have to reheat it periodically but if you fall asleep, there is no danger of burning yourself or causing a fire. You can make one really easily with some sturdy fabric and a large bag of rice. Someone even suggested that you could make a smaller one with a tube sock and rice and just tie it closed but I don't think that would be wide enough to serve your purposes. Just a thought.

silk Contributor

Gotta laugh at this because honestly, just about the time that we figured out the Celiac thing for me, I thought I was turning into a barn. I was exercising and eating all of the 'right foods' and still my pants would get so tight around the waistband and it would just hurt to have anything touching my abdomen. I had no clue that you could bloat that much. I was so glad when I came to this board and found that this was a common affliction to celiacs. And it is so much better now that I'm gluten-free. I had a bad bout this past week with either some undisclosed gluten (think I got it from the rice milk..Dream something?) or other food intolerances but the rice definitely helps. I ate cream of rice cereal for three days solid and am now slowly adding things back and doing much better but the rice really does help a lot.

Archived