This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yoplait New Labeling

Charlotte K

Charlotte K Newbie

I just purchased a dozen Original Yoplait yogurts and the labels no longer contain the phrase 'gluten free'. Of course I did not notice this until I was home. I have contacted Yoplait but have not yet received a response. Does anyone know if the Original formula now contains gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

little d Enthusiast

I don't normally get the original flavors but I know that the ones that say digestion healthy or somthing like that are gluten free, but then again I have not purchased any in a couple of months. Hopefully you will get a response from the company so you can pass the word.

donna

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I am going to have to look next time I get to the store. I always liked the Whips but I haven't bought any of them in months now. I am an on and then off yogurt eater, but since the whips had that different texture I really liked them. Good to know though, thanks for the info.

missnbagels Explorer

I just bought some and they had gluten free towards the bottom of the container, i never noticed before and i just read the ingredients for stuff i can't have.

LisaJ Apprentice

I also noticed that when I was buying groceries this week. Let us know what you hear!

Charlotte K Newbie

I spoke with a customer service rep at Yoplait and she stated that Yoplait is gluten free (with the exception of the granola item) although she had no information regarding why the label no longer contained the 'gluten free' statement.

nowheat4me Newbie

I just noticed that the Gluten Free is missing from my yoplait yogurts also. I contacted the company but still waiting for a reply. Also, does anyone out there shop at Super Wal-Marts? I use to be able to buy Brown Cow yogurt but can't find it anymore.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

Here is another ongoing link regarding Yoplait.

wolfie Enthusiast

I just bought some of the original yesterday in Key Lime, Strawberry Cheesecake, and Lemon Merengue and they all say "gluten-free" on the back.

Lisa B Rookie

The following Q&A is on the Canadian Yoplait web site - may not be applicable in US although I can't imagine that the process would be different. Obvious exceptions would be the granola based and cookies items.

Do Yoplait products contain gluten?

We carefully analyze all of our ingredients (presence of wheat, rye, barley, triticale, spelt, oats and malt) to ensure they do not contain gluten. Our products can therefore be safely consumed by people with celiac disease.

Lisa B

sammers1 Enthusiast

This is from Yoplait.....

Dear Valued Consumer:

Thank you for contacting Yoplait regarding gluten in Yoplait yogurt.

It is our goal to help our consumers determine whether or not they can include our products in their diet. To accurately accomplish this, we believe it is best to refer to the specific ingredients listed on each product package.

However, we do understand that ingredients can be confusing, so we want to assure you if the ingredient label does not list wheat, barley, rye, oats or gluten containing ingredients sourced from these grains, then the product would be gluten-free. Sources of gluten are listed on the label even if the source of gluten is part of another ingredient (such as flavoring or spice). Because ingredients may vary from one package to another due to product reformulation, you should use the product's ingredient label to provide you with current and accurate information.

Additional information regarding gluten may be obtained by contacting your health care professional or:

Celiac Sprue Association/United States of America, Inc.

PO Box 31700

Omaha, NE 68131-0700

402-558-0600

Or toll free: 877-CSA-4-CSA (877-272-4272)

www.csaceliacs.org

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Amy Sadowski

Consumer Services

silly celiac Rookie

I received the exact same response today, except with the following also added in:

"All Yoplait Original, Light, and Thick & Creamy yogurts are gluten free at this time, but we encourage our consumers to continue checking the label for any sources of gluten if the product is not marked GLUTEN FREE. We are working towards expanding the gluten free message to all cups and other Yoplait products."

ElseB Contributor

I wonder whether the removal of "gluten-free" has anything to do with changes (or impending changes) to regulations in Canada??? I emailed Parmalat Canada a few days ago to inquire about their yoghurt, and this is the response I got:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding our Astro Original Balkan Style Yogourt products. In response to your inquiry, recent updates in regulations have changed the definition of what can be declared as a "Gluten Free" product. As a result of the changes in the regulations, we are reviewing our products. Under the revised regulations, at this time only the following list of our products can be described as gluten free.

Beatrice Skimmed Milk

Beatrice 1% Partly Skimmed Milk

Beatrice 2% Partly Skimmed Milk

Beatrice Homogenized Milk

Beatrice Pur Filtre Skimmed Milk

Beatrice Pur Filtre 1% Partly Skimmed Milk

Beatrice Pur Filtre 2% Partly Skimmed Milk

Beatrice Pur Filtre Homogenized Milk

Parmalat Skimmed Milk

Parmalat 1% Partly Skimmed Milk

Parmalat 2% Partly Skimmed Milk

Parmalat Homogenized Milk

Lactantia Pur Filtre Skimmed Milk

Lactantia Pur Filtre 1% Partly Skimmed Milk

Lactantia Pur Filtre 2% Partly Skimmed Milk

Lactantia Pur Filtre Homogenized Milk

Sensational Soy Beverages/Sensational Soy Smoothies

disneyfan Apprentice
I just purchased a dozen Original Yoplait yogurts and the labels no longer contain the phrase 'gluten free'. Of course I did not notice this until I was home. I have contacted Yoplait but have not yet received a response. Does anyone know if the Original formula now contains gluten.

I bought Yoplait 99% fat free 6oz containers yesterday and noticed the same thing. I just called and asked why there was no "gluten free" label on these containers. I was told that they have not changed the product ingredients, but they are working on getting the same labels on all containers. The rep told me that depending on what warehouse the products come from, some have already changed the printing on the containers and some are still in the process. Hopefully, this is correct information.

• 1 month later...
GlindaofOz Newbie
I spoke with a customer service rep at Yoplait and she stated that Yoplait is gluten free (with the exception of the granola item) although she had no information regarding why the label no longer contained the 'gluten free' statement.

I too recently spoke to customer service and was given a fairly stock answer. I think they must have a wheat or gluten binder or dervied flavouring because my lips and mouth burn lately after eating Yoplait. The "reaction" is brand new with Yoplait so I have no choice but to believe that they changed their product and are not labeling it as they should.

HAK1031 Enthusiast

I don't think so...yoplait is a kraft brand, and they clearly label. Maybe you are reacting to something else in the yogurt? Dairy? Fruit? Another flavoring? Or was the spoon somehow CC'd? Crumbs over the open silverware drawer?

Lisa Mentor
I too recently spoke to customer service and was given a fairly stock answer. I think they must have a wheat or gluten binder or dervied flavouring because my lips and mouth burn lately after eating Yoplait. The "reaction" is brand new with Yoplait so I have no choice but to believe that they changed their product and are not labeling it as they should.

As HAK stated before, I strongly suspect that your reaction was to something other than the Yoplait (unless it was cookies or granola).

Could you have an allergy to dairy? It does sound more like an allergic reaction.

Archived