This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help Please

Ron

Ron Newbie

:huh: Hi very new to this so please bare with me..Iam very confused about what food from a grociery store are acceptable..is pop ok butter? veg oil? any help with foods from grociery store would be great ..thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hi Ron,

first things first. Welcome to our message board :) .

Now, there is a list with glutenfree foods in the net, that you can use, when you go grocery shopping. Here's the Open Original Shared Link

Then all fresh fruits, vegetables and salads are gluten-free (uncanned). Then the frozen and canned fruit in 100% fruit juice is gluten-free. Rice is gluten-free. And start reading the labels very careful with things you are not sure about. But i would go more with the list, if i were you. It's very dangerous at the beginning to get hidden gluten <_< .

One thing i discovered this morning and that's very good, if you don't like the yucky rice bread: Throw rice cake in your toaster. But be careful, just on very low, because it can burn and watch it, so that you can take it out before it goes black. Than put your favorite bread spread or something on it. Hmmmm!!! Yummy!!! Oh, while we talk about toasters. Be sure you have your own toaster, because of cross contamination. On mine i wrote on two sides: "gluten-free" and on the other two sides: "No wheat!" So that everybody in our house knows not to use mine. I heard from some people that Kellog's Chombos are gluten-free, but i would be careful with that. I generally keep my fingers off of all Kellog's products. I eat the EnviroKidz gluten-free cornflakes.

Butter i either use country crock or i can't believe it's not butter. And i use the crisco shortenings and oils (they are all on the gluten-free list, too).

You might have cravings for candy. Well, i have them all the time. Some of the things i took out of the gluten-free list and still have in my head (because i eat them all the time :P ) are: plain M & M's, Hershey's kisses chocolate and with almonds, Nestle milk chocolate and smarties

Ok, hope i could help you and that you feel better soon.

Stef

Hi Ron,

it's me again. I don't know, from where you are. But in the north eastern area of the US, there's a supermarket chain called Wegman's and they have one isle only for celiac people. I'm still about to compare the prices, but i thought, they are a little cheaper than most of the health food stores and the internet shop and you don't have the shipping costs.

And they also have an international section with italian, greece, asian, kosher and what not all food. And in the asian section there's a package with oriental style noodles from Erawan Brand. I couldn't find it on the list, but the ingridients only say: Rice Flour, Water. There's 1 lb in one package and i paid about 1 dollar. I thought it's worth trying it, since the other noodles are all so expensive. I didn't try them yet, but they had a lot of other kinds of noodles and everything said wheat flour on the label. So i thought, if there would be traces of wheat, they would also have written it on the label.

OK then, if you have any other question, just ask.

Stef

Maggie1956 Rookie

:) Hi. Thanks for this thread. It's helping me too, because today is only my tenth day gluten-free. I was dx/ed on 1st December.

I know that things are a little different here in Australia, and a lot of what's available in USA and Canada isn't available here in OZ. :rolleyes:

I can't eat boiled rice, but I'm wondering, maybe I might be able to tolerate Arnott's Rice Crackers and rice cakes. We have them available here.

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

i'm glad i could help you, too. Like celiac3270 i'm a very picky eater, so if i like it most other people do as well.

Stef

tom Contributor

EVERYONE GET A BREADMACHINE !!!!

I can barely believe i put up w/ gluten-free bread from the stores for 2 or 3 yrs. Just had my 1st breadmaker gluten-free bread over thxgvg, brought an extra loaf home, and b4 i finished it i bought a breadmachine.

Given what i'd been eating from the stores i never IMAGINED the breadmachine bread would be so good. The 2 kids in the house i visited for thxgvg (where the bread was) have no wheat restrictions and ate the bread w/out mention of any difference. I would seriously have thought it was fine if i'd never even had to try ricebread etc.

Wish i'd gotten one 2 yrs ago.

mela14 Enthusiast

Stef.....thanks for the info on Wegmans. I am moving back up north in a few months and wegmans is right near me. I used to shop there all the time and it's good to know they have some celiac stuff.

Thanks,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hi Mel, where to the north are you moving? Maybe it's near me, that would be cool.

Greetings, Stef

mela14 Enthusiast

I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY but moved to Manalapan, NJ in 2000. I lived there for 2 years and then headed south to Florida! My husband just misses is so much that we are moving back up to NJ (same area)

Where are you from?

I'm from Carlisle, PA. Carlisle is a 30 min drive from Harrisburg. Well, NJ isn't THAT far either.

Stef

Maggie1956 Rookie
EVERYONE GET A BREADMACHINE !!!!

I can barely believe i put up w/ gluten-free bread from the stores for 2 or 3 yrs. Just had my 1st breadmaker gluten-free bread over thxgvg, brought an extra loaf home, and b4 i finished it i bought a breadmachine.

Hi Tom,

I think what you're trying to say is "get a breadmaker" . Is that right? LOL :lol:

Sorry.

I agree, shop-bought gluten-free bread os horrible!

I never thought I'd miss bread at all as I've never eaten it much. Probably because it always made me feel like I'd swallowed a baseball. :o

I know there are good gluten-free bread mixes here in Australia, and great bread makers too.

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) have any preferences what type of dough is easiest to digest, or does that depend on what I'm sensitive to? :blink:

I can't have boiled white or brown rice, so would that mean that rice-based bread is out too?

I'm finding I am haungry al lot of the time, and any bread would be good.

Hi Maggie,

i'd say that depends on how much of the boiled white and brown rice you can't have. If you can't have any at all, then I wouldn't eat the rice bread either. If you can eat a little, you can always mix the rice flour with other flours and just take a little bit of rice flour.

Greetings, Stef

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Hi!

My advice would be to buy lots of gluten free cookbooks. I got most of mine from a bookstore and from a local celiac support group. I find that you can make almost anything that you normally would make... it just takes more time (to find gluten free products), patience, and sometimes a little more money.

I would also become familiar with mainstream products that are gluten free. Heres a link to a few: Open Original Shared Link

The more you learn the easier shopping and cooking becomes

Good luck!

Maggie1956 Rookie

Stef, I can handle a couple of dessertspoons of white rice (not sure about the brown, as I've only eaten it once).

Medaka, I sure will be buying a heap of gluten-free cookbooks (after Christmas!!). I know they'll be really helpful, even though I've never been much of a cook. Being celiac means doing more home-cooking right? :huh:

Thanks to you both for your help.

:)

Born2run2 Rookie
:D;):P Everyone has had some good advice so far. My suggestion is to stick with the basics. You can't go wrong with meat, veggies, fruit, and some folks have to watch the dairy at first, but there is many great soy alternatives. I also recommend getting a bread machine, the commercial stuff is just plain disgusting and I had a hard time swallowing it. Good Luck starting your journey of better health. I can tell you from personal experience at first this seems over whelming, but you will adjust. ( In Health) Judy :):angry::rolleyes:
  • 1 month later...
WLJOHNSON Newbie

Hi Ron,

I saw that you were new in December, so thought I would add a post just to ask how you're doing? I hope well. I've had Celiac since age 8 and I'm 60 now. It's always a journey of discovery, each and every day.

Meats, poultry, fish, salads, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds--the good old standbys. Going back to those always helps.

Tamales, refried beans, rice, tacos, we have a lot of those in California. I am so happy that Carl's Jr. now has low carb burgers (burgers wrapped in lettuce). A good old burger of any kind without the bun is a good way to eat out; chicken or turkey breasts, steaks, prime rib, etc. are usually pretty safe, with a salad or baked potato.

I always use Imperial Margarine, and olive oil, corn oil, or vegetable oil when at home. Diet sodas can present a problem--some have modified food starch or other additives: I drink Diet Rite Raspberry, Caffeine Free Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke, and I carry them with me in my car too. I'm adamant about taking my own food places, just in case.

Hope you're improving and feeling great. Welda

KLTerry Apprentice

Hi. I'm from Pittsburgh, PA. But the chain grocery store your talking about is not here. DARNIT! We do have Giant Eagle, and they have a few isles of all natural foods (including a bunch of gluten-free stuff in the mix). Last night, I bought a bag of gluten-free bread mix and some of that rice bread in the frozen section. I haven't had the chance to make the bread yet. I don't have a bread maker yet, so I'd be doing it by hand, but the rice bread is HORRIBLE!

tjack454 Newbie

Hi,

Bob's Red Mill has a great gluten-free bread mix; very easy to make.

Tammy

KLTerry Apprentice

Yes, Tammy. That's the mix I bought. I'm excited about making it, but I have a full-time job plus two in diapers, and since I'm just starting my attempts of gluten-free life, I'm too tired to do much, but boy would I love a piece of bread that taste like bread. My grandfather used to make it all the time when I was a kid (of course it wasn't gluten-free), and it was SO good.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

KL Terry,

Have you been to Whole Foods yet in P-Burgh?

They have them out here in the West and it is awesome!

They have all sorts of gluten-free bread (Kinnikinnick - my favorite), gluten-free Bread mixes, Snacks, Soups, Salad dressings --- everything a Celiac needs!!

Pittsburgh

Whole Foods Market

5880 Centre Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15206

412.441.2907 fax

Store hours: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.

store calendar

Have fun

tarnalberry Community Regular

I pretty much never use rice flour in my quick breads and muffins. There are lots of alternatives if you're baking.

Archived