Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa B

Detroit - Supermarkets

I'm not sure that this counts as travelling but will be visiting the Detroit area soon for one day only and would like to know what is the leading supermarket as far as carrying gluten-free products and/or gluten-free labelled house brands.

Also, does anyone know if Joe Louis Arena carries any gluten-free items on their concession stands?

Many thanks for any responses.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Kroger's and Meijer's have specialty food/organic sections in them. There are Whole Foods Markets and Good Food Company in certain areas. If you let me know exactly what areas you will be visiting I will try and give you a better answer.

Call Joe Louis and see what they say. (I usually don't eat anything at JLA) Mickey Redmond is on a gluten free diet, so they must know something about safe foods.

Michigan

Kroger's and Meijer's have specialty food/organic sections in them. There are Whole Foods Markets and Good Food Company in certain areas. If you let me know exactly what areas you will be visiting I will try and give you a better answer.

Call Joe Louis and see what they say. (I usually don't eat anything at JLA) Mickey Redmond is on a gluten free diet, so they must know something about safe foods.

Thanks for the response - we are just visiting the area for a hockey game so it's a four hour drive each way. I haven't heard of Good Food Company so will look them up. I am not familiar with the Detroit area at all.

Lisa

I think it's a local chain but the Hiller's Supermarket in Northville has a wonderful gluten-free section. The last time I went up to visit my sister I wanted to move there just because the gluten-free selection that was a walk away was so massive! There is also a bakery in Northville that has gluten-free treats - Wild Flours or something. Haven't tried it yet though.

Good luck-

Amy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Don't expect to find grocery stores in the downtown area. You are going to have better luck in the suberbs. I suspect you will be on I-75? So the Troy area might be a convenient stop if you are north of Detroit. Royal Oak is the area's growing "trendy" spot and easy to get to the expressways. South of Detroit, I'm not really sure of the most convenient stops.

Michigan