• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I rarely make chili because I always feel like this afterwards! But my husband wanted some so....now I feel like crap. I can't understand why?? Unless I'm missing something it should be gluten free! ground beef, yellow onion, Campbell's tomato juice, Kroger red beans, red wine, chili powder, red pepper, black pepper, salt, vinegar, cheddar cheese on top. It starts immediately (I just ate an hour ago and now I'm miserable) Plus we eat beans regularly and they don't usually bother me. Does anybody know something I don't? Why do I feel glutened???

It could be a combination intolerance, which are hard to figure out. One of my daughters is intolerant to the combination of tomato and meat, and potato and meat. Did you use grain vinegar? Are you maybe dairy intolerant?

I doubt that you got glutened. It was something else in that food entirely I believe, and I suggest you eat all those foods first by themselves to see if you react, and then in combinations of just two if you don't react to single ingredients. You need to be a sleuth, and it might take a while.

Have you verified that the brand of chili powder that you are using is gluten-free? Is it leftover from pre gluten-free days and possibly contaminated by you if you used measuring spoons that had been used for flour or somathing containing gluten without washing them before dipping in the chili powder?

I haven't verified with the company about the chili powder. It's kroger brand. I know it's not CCed.....I've been gluten-free for a long time and I don't use measuring spoons anyway...I'm a guestamate kind of cook :lol: Does anybody know about Kroger brand chili powder. The label doesn't specify allergens, and it lists the word "spices"....so maybe that is it. It would make sense why only chili does this to me. I don't use chili powder in much else!

Your chili looks good. But, the longer you have been gluten free, your reaction time may be delayed. Although everyone is different. Are you sure it was the chili? (I know Campbell's Tomato US is gluten free, not sure about Canadian Campbell's)

Hope you feel better soon.

I don't know about Kroger brand Chili Powder. I use The Spice Hunter Chili Powder Blend. I use a small amount of white rice flour to thicken the Chili when it is done.

Guest j_mommy

Is it the brand of beans you always use???? (I can't eat a friends chili b/c wheat is used at a preservative in her kidney beans!)

I also agree with Ursa...maybe you are lactose intolerant???? That caused the same symptoms for me as gluten did.

I always use Kroger chili powder and I have never had any problems with it.

We went out to eat just this past Sunday. Both my son and myself (son also has celiacs) wanted the chili salad. The waitress came back saying that the cook said the chili powder does contain gluten :( We were both disappointed. I have never made chili before...Are most chili powders made the same?

Weird, because I have this bean salsa that I used to make all the time and the last few times it's made me sick. I *know* it's gluten-free. Maybe Ursa's onto something with the combo-intolerances.

Oh, criminy, all I need is to learn about combination intolerances. I'm having enough problems figuring out the single ones :huh:

I suppose this could explain why sometimes I react and sometimes I don't and I just can't figure it out. But yeesh, how does one figure it out? I have a food/symptom journal dating back a year and I frequently try to data mine it without making any connections.

Do you have any links about what are some common combination intolerances? Or are they all over the map?

At the other end of the spectrum, it used to be I could eat eggs but only if I ate fruit at the same time. Now I can't handle them at all, though.

Your chili sounds yummy, but I think a lot of people feel like that after eating spicy beans mixed with cheese and meat.

:(

I'm not the one to ask, LOL. I couldn't eat your chilli. Or indeed most chillis. The red wine red pepper and chilli powder would make me sick. Also it looks like black pepper is an issue for me <_< They all give me horrible gas. Are you all right with peppers otherwise? Do you know how you react to red or green or hot peppers, do you use them very often in things? Red wine tends to be higher in sulfites than white. Do you drink much red or wine in general?

I rarely make chili because I always feel like this afterwards! But my husband wanted some so....now I feel like crap. I can't understand why?? Unless I'm missing something it should be gluten free! ground beef, yellow onion, Campbell's tomato juice, Kroger red beans, red wine, chili powder, red pepper, black pepper, salt, vinegar, cheddar cheese on top. It starts immediately (I just ate an hour ago and now I'm miserable) Plus we eat beans regularly and they don't usually bother me. Does anybody know something I don't? Why do I feel glutened???

Have you verified that the brand of chili powder that you are using is gluten-free? Is it leftover from pre gluten-free days and possibly contaminated by you if you used measuring spoons that had been used for flour or somathing containing gluten without washing them before dipping in the chili powder?

I agree with Ursa.....there is a good article in one of the gluten-free mags I read about all the perceived places you can become glutened from. From keeping track of things myself, I would agree with the article which states that it is so very rare to find gluten in spices, that if you think you have been glutened, it most likely will not come from the spices. They also cover the myth of hidden gluten and it's just that....a myth.

If you read your ingredients carefully and all ingredients are listed on the label, you should be able to discern the gluten containing items from those that do not. The article claims that no manufacturer hides gluten in ingredients....especially with all the new labeling laws. I would say that, except for food imported from foreign countries that are not well labeled, todays Celiacs should not worry so much about potential glutenings if they have done their homework.

It really sounds like you may have another food intolerance or sensitivity. Cheese can be tough to digest so I would look at dairy first. I can tolerate small amounts of dairy but too much and I suffer as much as a glutening.

FYI, the beans and the chili powder are most definitely gluten-free.

richard

Does the same feeling happen with you large quanties of other types of protein -- steaks, meat dishes, protein shakes?

I don't think this is the case for you but since it happened with me I figured I would mention. Chili is the only thing that I use a can opener for other than my pets food. Every time I made chili when my son was home I would gluten us both, makes for not a happy visit. It took 2 years for a light bulb to go off about the can opener. I got a new one for people food and the problem with chili glutenings ended. This most likely does not apply but I figured I should toss the possiblility in there.