Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ElseB

Travelling Vegetarian Celiac

Does anyone have any advice about airplane food for a vegetarian celiac? I'm newly diagnosed and am about to leave for a 3-month trip to Australia. I"m worried about what to eat on the plane. The airline has gluten-free meals, and vegetarian meals, but not gluten-free vegetarian. Eating meat is not an option for me. I'm also worried that with all of the airline security these days, that they won't let me bring any food with me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What airline are you flying?

See if they have a raw vegetarian meal (raw fruits and veggies). Bring your own energy bars, nuts, instant soup, etc. etc. etc. :D

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

You should be able to bring not liquid or gel foods and snacks with you. I had to go to Guam a month ago and had Continentals gluten free meal. the one gluten-free cookie was about all I could eat as they dumped bread on top of everything else. Now I just order the fruit plate!

Does anyone have any advice about airplane food for a vegetarian celiac? I'm newly diagnosed and am about to leave for a 3-month trip to Australia. I"m worried about what to eat on the plane. The airline has gluten-free meals, and vegetarian meals, but not gluten-free vegetarian. Eating meat is not an option for me. I'm also worried that with all of the airline security these days, that they won't let me bring any food with me.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

I am guessing but I think you will probably find more things you can eat ordering the gluten free meal. Go to the airlines website and see if they have sample menus or call the airline. I know American Airlines has sample menus.

You will need to also bring your own food on the airplane. I always make sure that I have 50% more food than I think I need in case of delays or my gluten free meal does not make it onto the plane (yes, this has happened to me :angry: )

Liquids are not all allowed through security, including such things as yogurt and pudding type food. You should be able to bring solid food thru security.

I have brought the following:

Vegetables that can be eaten - raw carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, slice tomatoes, etc

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

I had the same concern flying to Europe over the summer because I am a vegan Celiac. You can take your own food, except liquids. So, just take your own! On the flight I brought apples and fruit bars and I also took with me more fruit bars, noodles, and other simple items to have during my trip in case I couldn't find food to buy on a particular day. Australia does have lots of gluten-free stuff but maybe you should take some too, just in case! Good luck!

I take what food I can fit in my bag (nuts, Lara bars, dried fruit, crackers) and order a vegan meal. The rest of my family orders vegan meals too. Then I eat what seems to be safe and I trade with them what isn't.

Not a perfect solution, but it is my best stab at getting at least a little something I can eat out of the airline. Sometimes this means some veggies and everyone's fruit, but better than nothing.

My experience with gluten-free meals is that sometimes there will be absolutely nothing in them I can eat at all, since I can't have dairy or egg either.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)