Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nic

Red Marking On Face

My son has been getting these red marks on his face for a couple of months now. They come and they go. They are not raised, dry, or rough. They feel like normal soft skin. It does not bother him at all. At first I thought maybe it was from the cold weather and maybe he was licking his cheeks but they appear even when it isn't cold. They are bright red and seem to be under the skin, sometimes they are big and sometimes small. Right now he has a half circle on one cheek and a big dot on the other. Any ideas? could it be gluten related?

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, my daughter gets the same thing, and I do think it's from gluten. Sometimes they are on her face, other times on her legs. It stops when she's gluten free. Yesterday I made what I thought were gluten-free doughnuts, and they were delicious, but after eating them, she broke out with those markings on her face, one under her eye and another on her forehead by her hairline. Then I suddenly realized that the surface I used to roll out the dough had been used for rolling out wheat dough back before we went gluten-free, and though it had been used for other things and washed many, many times, there must have been traces of gluten still on it. I'm still learning about this!

My son has been getting these red marks on his face for a couple of months now. They come and they go. They are not raised, dry, or rough. They feel like normal soft skin. It does not bother him at all. At first I thought maybe it was from the cold weather and maybe he was licking his cheeks but they appear even when it isn't cold. They are bright red and seem to be under the skin, sometimes they are big and sometimes small. Right now he has a half circle on one cheek and a big dot on the other. Any ideas? could it be gluten related?

Nicole

Could they be hives from a different food? I've heard that food allergies can be common in people with celiac. From the people's signatures on here, i see quite a few that mention food allergies.

Breanna

& Bayleigh <3

Could they be hives from a different food? I've heard that food allergies can be common in people with celiac. From the people's signatures on here, i see quite a few that mention food allergies.

They don't look like hives but maybe. My other son used to get hives from augmenten and they looked more welty.

Nicole

HI I'm new here to the site .. but yes, my daughter gets this too. Almost always on the right cheek and almost always after she's stayed at someone elses house for the day. We're positive it's becuase she's eaten something that she should not have even though we have a rule of "she can only eat what we pack for her". Sometimes it's so red that I think she colored it with marker. Her's seems to be a little rough and dry sometimes too and I'm not sure if this is because it's been alto more oftern than I would have hoped. She'll be two next month.

My son gets spots like that when he reacts to certain foods. During our stay with the inlaws he had really red cheeks and first I thought it was the cold weather as well but we are home and they are gone now. So I'm sure he was getting something there due to cross contamination or something. I know my inlaws didn't feed him anything purposely, they were really good about asking.

~Melanie~

Mommy to:

Jonathan-10-02-2000, seasonal allergies and Asthma, taking Flovent, Claritin and Nasonex.

Owen-04-29-2005, GERD, 20mgs of Prilosec, 2.5mgs Zyrtec. Negative bloodwork and biopsies but great dietary response.

HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,8) both celiac genes

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 24 Units

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 12 Units

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 18

In addition to foods (soy is another thing that can frequently cause skin problems), it is possible to react to personal care products. Try hypoallergenic products and see if that makes a difference. My daughter (now 21) developed very sensitive skin when she was little and very few products don't make her skin red & blotchy to this day.

Fluoride from toothpaste, rinses, etc. can also cause redness on the cheeks.

Both my children also have contact allergic reactions to nickel (have to be careful with anything held against their skin for any appreciable amount of time).

Finally, is the air in your house humidified? Dry hot air in the winter can cause redness.

Hope you can get this figured out.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)