• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I just read that cheese was not gluten free!! I was diagnosed 2 years ago and I sometimes get symptoms I do not know what I ate to bring them on. I thought only processed cheese, like Velveeta or Merkts' or Cheese Whiz had gluten. Does a block of Chedder Cheese or Monterey Jack really have gluten? Maybe that is where my mysterious symptoms have been coming from! Please help....

I just read that cheese was not gluten free!! I was diagnosed 2 years ago and I sometimes get symptoms I do not know what I ate to bring them on. I thought only processed cheese, like Velveeta or Merkts' or Cheese Whiz had gluten. Does a block of Chedder Cheese or Monterey Jack really have gluten? Maybe that is where my mysterious symptoms have been coming from! Please help....

Cheese does not contain gluten. Only a few blue cheeses have bread mold starters. Kraft is a great company that will list all forms of gluten clearly (as in wheat, malt, ryle, barley). If it's not in the ingredients, not there.

Some processed cheese may have gluten and I am not familiar with the ingredients of the brands that you mentioned.

Where did you read that cheese has gluten?

Guest j_mommy

Not all "valveeta" like cheese contain gluten...the store brand at our local store doesn't contain gluten...you just have to check each individually.

I've discovered (the hard way) that some cheese "SPREADS" which is a prepared food with flavorings and other ingredients - like those that come in a tub for dipping chips/crackers into, MAY contain gluten! I've also discovered that you have to watch plain cheeses that may have flavorings added, like Horseradish Cheddar blocks in shrink wrap. Cheese itself, inherently does NOT contain gluten - it is a pure dairy product with no grain. BUT because we are a society of "processed foods" you have watch all processed/mixed/prepared/flavored stuff.

Velveeta is gluten-free as far as I know (I've not had a problem with it). The ingredients of the plain variety are: (gluten-free!)

Ingredients: MILK, WATER, MILKFAT, WHEY, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ALGINATE, SODIUM CITRATE, APOCAROTENAL (COLOR), ANNATTO (COLOR), ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE.

Size: 16 OZ

I was having problems with some processed cheeses, monterey jack being one of them, pepper jack being another. Swiss and mozzarella have not given me any problems. With provolone it depends on who makes it. I can only tell from the color of the cheese at the local market.

Had to learn this the hard way. I think it all depends on who makes it. Most of these are from Hoffman.

Good luck

Most cheese does not contain gluten. Not even Velveeta. I have read that some shredded cheeses have a coating of flour on them to keep the shreds from sticking, but I have yet to see any that has that on it. If you live in the US, they will have to disclose it on the label.

That being said, you could be having a hard time digesting the cheese itself. Just a thought.

Cheese does not contain gluten. Only a few blue cheeses have bread mold starters. Kraft is a great company that will list all forms of gluten clearly (as in wheat, malt, ryle, barley). If it's not in the ingredients, not there.

Some processed cheese may have gluten and I am not familiar with the ingredients of the brands that you mentioned.

Where did you read that cheese has gluten?

I was googling gluten free items in the celiac forum (I am new to this website) and I found a whole bunch of replies about cheese not being gluten free. The replies were from a couple of years ago. Thanks for clarifying, I can live without bread....just not cheese. I am sure my mysterious symptoms have not been from that or I would have been able to figure that out. I would guess all of us with celiac disease have symptoms we can not identify the origin once in awhile?

if you're looking for cheese-in-a-can, the cheezit one is gluten-free :) really does taste like cheezits too!!

if you're looking for cheese-in-a-can, the cheezit one is gluten-free :) really does taste like cheezits too!!

This is good to know, sometimes I have the craving for this and now I can buy it.

As everyone has said natural cheese is gluten free. If you do not have a gluten free household check on how everyone is preparing meals with the cheese. Cross contamination can happen if the cheese is put down on the counter where bread is being used or the cheese is cut with the same knife used for bread.

For many years I resolved this issue by having sliced cheese for my husband and hard block cheese for myself. He now has a seperate preparation area for his sandwiches outside of the kitchen. This includes a small refrigerator, a larger kitchen cart with cabinets and a microwave. All gluten belongs in this area now.

As everyone has said natural cheese is gluten free. If you do not have a gluten free household check on how everyone is preparing meals with the cheese. Cross contamination can happen if the cheese is put down on the counter where bread is being used or the cheese is cut with the same knife used for bread.

For many years I resolved this issue by having sliced cheese for my husband and hard block cheese for myself. He now has a seperate preparation area for his sandwiches outside of the kitchen. This includes a small refrigerator, a larger kitchen cart with cabinets and a microwave. All gluten belongs in this area now.

I buy pre-made sandwiches for my husband. We can not have gluten, eggs or cheese so I feel it is the only way. No chance of CC that way unless he gets really sloppy and drops stuff.

Hi all..........I actually just called Kraft this past week and they told me they do not hide any allergy ingredient in any of their food. I asked about Valveta and they told me it did NOT contain any gluten and then I asked about the Valveta's bowls (chili and salsa is one of them) and they also do NOT contain gluten, a good snack with scoops........

Pam

A separate prep area for your husband's food outside the kitchen? That rocks! I had to divorce mine to get my kitchen gluten-free (among other benefits)... :lol: