Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
ArtGirl

Wheat Germ - Is It Gluten-free?

Rate this topic

I was told by someone studying nutrition that wheat germ does not contain the the protein (which contains the gluten) so that it is gluten-free.

I am skeptical of this but thought I'd ask you research experts here on the forum what you have discovered about wheat germ - does it, or does it not contain gluten.

Now, my first reaction was - maybe not, but there is probably a good chance of contamination in the final product.

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

the germ and bran of the grain both contain protein, which includes gliadin. definitely not gluten free.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Personally I wouldn't consume it.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

12 hours ago, Lidieth Salas said:

How about wheat syrup, is it gluten-free? 

It can be gluten free as it is highly processed.  It is used often in the European Union and not in the US which favors corn-based syrups.   Learn more:

https://heas.health.vic.gov.au/early-childhood-services/allergy-and-intolerance/coeliac-disease

Like Ravenwoodglass, I tend to shy away from anything with wheat on a label even if it actually may be gluten free due to a refining process.  Sometimes piece of mind is priceless!  

Edited by cyclinglady

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed