• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

ArtGirl

Wheat Germ - Is It Gluten-free?

Rate this topic

I was told by someone studying nutrition that wheat germ does not contain the the protein (which contains the gluten) so that it is gluten-free.

I am skeptical of this but thought I'd ask you research experts here on the forum what you have discovered about wheat germ - does it, or does it not contain gluten.

Now, my first reaction was - maybe not, but there is probably a good chance of contamination in the final product.

the germ and bran of the grain both contain protein, which includes gliadin. definitely not gluten free.

12 hours ago, Lidieth Salas said:

How about wheat syrup, is it gluten-free? 

It can be gluten free as it is highly processed.  It is used often in the European Union and not in the US which favors corn-based syrups.   Learn more:

https://heas.health.vic.gov.au/early-childhood-services/allergy-and-intolerance/coeliac-disease

Like Ravenwoodglass, I tend to shy away from anything with wheat on a label even if it actually may be gluten free due to a refining process.  Sometimes piece of mind is priceless!  

Edited by cyclinglady