This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Possible Symptoms Of Gluten

little d

little d Enthusiast

I know that this sounds odd, but I don't know if this is part of my glutening thrugh the Christmas holidays. But every since the holidays I have had constint everyday pulls in my neck especially when I am looking left alot while driving. When I am reaching to rub my neck it is tender, with lots of knots to work out. And sometime my neck instantly hurts and I have to work it out again. It has lessened since I have been totally gluten free again but. Over the holidays I was careful as to what I ate, I opted out with the breads most times and any processed foods that was offered and tried to eat veggies even if I did not like the veggies offered like corn, and sweet potatos. I did not have any D but did have C and finally the Stringy D and I was hard to get up in the mornings, I was tired alot, started to zone out while driving again, which I hate doing. Felt very lazy, lathargik, slight heartburn that did not last too long, headaches, and I gained half of my weight back that I had lost. With being gluten free again it has lessened, my energy is back, I can concentrate better, and my poos are getting better, today was the first normal looking. I had thought about going to a Chriopractor to have him help me out some but I figured that it was gluten related, and I don't know if it is gas that traveled up to my neck and wrecked havick on my neck or just cricks that needed to be worked out.

I have spent a lot more time on the computer with my studies it could be that too.

Please give any opinions

donna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

I had alot of those problems with muscle tension and tension headaches before gluten-free. Chiropractor that did a combo of adjustment, acupuncture, ultrasound and massage helped. I saw one for two years and finally retrained my muscles as to what normal really should be. I had waited two years to go in so they had become used to being out of whack. Stretches went the rest of the way to get me to the point that I didn't need to go anymore. I rarely have a problem now but the tension comes back a little when I've been glutened. Even if it's gluten related a chiropractor may still help in case like yours where it's progressed to this point.

Tesion has a habbit of building and spreading. All our muscles are connected through a system so even if I just do leg stretches I've noticed it helps my back and shouders. Sometimes the tension lifts when the effects of gluten wears off and sometimes we need to intervene and help our bodies out.

little d Enthusiast

It is defiantly easing up because it had gotten so bad that everytime that I turned my head to look especially left I would get that pull feeling and it would hurt. But with being gluten free again it has really helped. I think that I just might go ahead and go to the chriopractor since my insurance will pay for it, I will just have to pay my one time $50.00 deductable, because I am sure that I need to be adjusted too.

Thanks for you input

donna

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Donna,

I have/had this symptom, too, and I don't see it mentioned very much so I was really intertested to hear your story.

I began to have problems with my neck about the time my Celiac symptoms began to get severe. Like you, I first noticed it after I drove, and thought it had someting to do with the way I turn my head (I don't rely on the mirrors only).

I did see an Accupuncturist, and went through several months of treatment--this was before the Celic was diagnosed. The modest amount of relief I got didn't last after the treatments stopped. Looking back, I feel that it failed to help becuse I was not gluten-free at the time, and I wasn't treating the underlying problem.

As time went on, I would wake up with it--sometimes the ache would wake me up. I don't seem to get it nearly as much since I went gluten-free over 2 years ago. Just recently, I was glutened by a product that, as it turned out, was made on shared lines with wheat. Unfortunately, I failed to read the whole label (it was marked gluten-free on the front, I failed to read the entire allergen statement on the back--very stupid on my part, I should have known better) and ate the food on and off for several days.

My GI symptoms were not as bad as I remembered, but that all too familiar ache in my neck came back, and was what convinced me that I was getting gluten somewhere. As I began to get over the glutening, the ache eased again.

I don't know exactly why this happens, I just know that it's somehow connected to gluten for me.

little d Enthusiast

Ok so this is probley related to gluten then with gas build up that is just trying to be released and happened to travel up to my neck. I have post pardom moms who just can't believe that eating something rich after a C-Section will create gas along with being opened up. Usually the gas stops in between my shoulder blades but rarely until recently that it had travelled and stayed for so long.

donna

Nancym Enthusiast

Actually, I found dairy products do this to me. I get terrible muscle spasms if I start using dairy products.

bluejeangirl Contributor

Whenever I'm under any kind of stress my neck hurts. I know I injured it along time ago but I also suspect its from having alot of old fillings that should be replaced.

Dietary stress from gluten is hard on your body. I'll toss and turn and not sleep well and my muscles get tense. Then the neck starts hurting. Other dietary stresses (for me) cause it too, like broccoli, cabbage and baked beans.

It sounded like you're glutening happened more then a few weeks ago? Do you typically have symptoms this long?

Gail

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

little d Enthusiast

Over the holidays I had been eating at other people houses and I just tried to be careful of what I ate but it was really hard, I would eat at home gluten free but that I know was not enough but if I had not eaten at home gluten free then I would have all my symptoms come back. It is hard to deal with this with not having an official diagnoses, my mother-in-law thinks that it is IBS and my Mom believes that I have a gall bladder issue because she did and so did my Grandmother. I was tested and negative because I had been eating gluten free when I finally got tested and it was surprise negative. So hopfully soon I will eighter go to another doctor, or go through Enterolab, either way is expensive even with insurance.

donna

Archived