• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

b91hd7fjk

Doctor Of Elimination?

Rate this topic

Doctor OR* Elimination Diet?!?!?

Hi all, I am headed into my 3rd year of gluten free living and am not sure what I am doing wrong. For the last few months I have been having more frequent relapses and they need to stop! I am looking for an elimination diet that could help me figure out if I need to stop with dairy, soy and corn etc. I am hoping someone out there has found a good' E' diet to follow and could possibly help me or if I should jsut go to a nutritionist???

Also, I currently take a daily mulit-vitamin and a B complex both from companies that are gluten free. I noticed many people take a lot of supplements daily and I was wondering why and if I should be too..I always felt like with how sensitive my stomach is less is more but if there is something I am missing please let me know!

Ok, thats all for now. Thanks in advance for your input.

-Staci

You might try cutting out dairy and soy first. These seem to be common additional intolerances. No reason to go on an elimination diet if the problem is one or both of these two.

If you google, you can find different elimination diets. The one I know about is here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_allergic.html

There are places that will test for intolerances or food allergies too. For instance, Enterolab tests for casein, egg, soy, and yeast currently.

Do you keep a diet/symptom journal? This can be useful in trying to track down what you are reacting to.

I'm new so still in the anal retentive stage and its my kid so even more so.

Are you sure the vitamins are still gluten-free ? They change suppliers sometimes.....

Also, if the Natural Flavors come from China, they are mystery and/or contaminated flavors to me. I'm not sure even if a company thinks something is gluten-free it is if it is a supplied ingredient. The supplier could have moved the boxes next to the wheat boxes or something.

The nutritionist I talked to who is a Celiac expert, says symptoms are most always a sign of accidental ingestion.

Health products gluten-free ?????

Like they said Milk and Soy could be bad. Then I would eliminate the vitamins for a bit. I would think that you would know within a week to a month.

Mary

Thanks for the replies...

I made an appointment with an Allergist on the 28th. On that date he will perform a "scratch test." I suppose this will do the trick but has anyone found out about other foods this way?? Also, my skin breaks out pretty regularly and I know this will help that but I am a little nervous about the efficiancy of this kind of test for finding ingested food allergies...

I will just have to wait and see.

-Staci

Thanks for the replies...

I made an appointment with an Allergist on the 28th. On that date he will perform a "scratch test." I suppose this will do the trick but has anyone found out about other foods this way?? Also, my skin breaks out pretty regularly and I know this will help that but I am a little nervous about the efficiancy of this kind of test for finding ingested food allergies...

I will just have to wait and see.

-Staci

I had a scratch test and it showed soy but the Dr admitted that it would not necessarily mean that I couldn't eat cooked soy as heat can destroy certain allergens. He did emphasise that this test would not give any indication of a food intolerance. I seem to be better without soy based cosmetics (tocopherol acetate) but am still clueless as to whether my hives were caused by soy or soy plus accidental wheat ingestion. Dr said no but I've heard from a naturopath who says the opposite!

The scratch test is supposedly the more sensitive of allergy testing, more so than RAST or ELISA blood work, but the RAST test can give more indication of how sesitive you are of a suspected allergen. I don't think that allergy testing is as accurate or sensitive as food intolerance testing. However, this does not seem to be available in mainstream medicine. Enterolab do food intolerance testing, I don't know of any others. I wish I knew more. :(

I agree, I am suspicious of so many foods but it is not realistic to cut everything out and keep re-purchasing different foods for me. I need someone who can test me for skin and internal food allergies...it would work wonders but I do not have a good idea as to who I can turn to..I have heard a lot about Naturopathic drs. Is that covered by insurance? I know everyones is different but I definately could not afford to pay out of pocket to see one.

-staci

I agree, I am suspicious of so many foods but it is not realistic to cut everything out and keep re-purchasing different foods for me. I need someone who can test me for skin and internal food allergies...it would work wonders but I do not have a good idea as to who I can turn to..I have heard a lot about Naturopathic drs. Is that covered by insurance? I know everyones is different but I definately could not afford to pay out of pocket to see one.

-staci

that depends on your insurance! It's a real minfield. But you should write down your questions so you can quiz your allergist. That will be a good place to start. :)

An allergist who will assist you in an elimination diet would be the way to go, make sure the allergist will do that, many just deal with histamine reactions and not intolerance. Histamine means a pill they can prescribe then bye bye, with an intolerance issue the elimination process is a bit drawn out and not all are willing to help with them. Call and make sure before your appointment that he deals with intolerances as well as true allergies.

The scratch test will be testing for true allergies, it will NOT pick up intolerances like gluten, soy etc. It is a different mechinism that causes the reaction. Allergies are a histimine reaction that will come on quickly, with intolerances they are autoimmune reactions and it can take days for the reaction to show up.

As another mentioned it is not unusual for us to have reactions to soy and dairy. I have both an allergy and intolerance to soy, this developed 2 years after I was gluten free and seemed to be triggered by diverticulitis and then pancreatitis as a result of a drug I reacted to.

Also if you suspect you may be reacting to soy, eggs, casien or yeast Enterolab can check for the antibodies.

THAT was my biggest concern...I had a feeling they were totally different things thats why I wasnt sure it was going to be an efficient visit!!! Wow...that cleared a lot up I will have to make sure to ask.

My interest has peaked many times about this Enterolab test....when I looked on the website it was almost 300 dollars and had many different tests and I honeslty felt lost when looking at it all...my question is does some insurances cover that test? And are they really good and accurate at telling intolerences? Also, if I have been staying away from dairy and of course I am gluten free...will the results come back correct??

-Staci

Our elimination diet was.........

1st week steamed or broiled chicken or Fish, brown rice, veggies (Without seeds, nothing in the nightshade family) and fruit (no citrus or strawberries) and plenty of water and decaf green tea. Herbs are OK. Salt and red pepper is usually OK. Most spices are OK.

2nd week add corn in excess for 2-3 days. If there is no reaction, they can stay in your diet. Then gradually.......one at a time.....add potatoes, citrus fruits, strawberries, tomatoes, eggplant, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, soy, yeast, dairy. When ready to test dairy, try yogurt first. Many people with casein or lactose intolerance can safely handle yogurt.

Go slowly. Avoid processed foods and artificial sweeteners, colors and preservatives. Record any reactions, no matter how small, they may make sense later.

Good Luck! The first time I had to use this it was on my 6 year old (she's 16 now) who turned out to be allergic to eggs, dairy/casein, corn, oranges, peanuts, some tree nuts, artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors and preservatives. I didn't test her for wheat at the time, I thought it would be too difficult (ha!) Turns out she has DH and possibly Celiac and I have Celiac. She has outgrown many of her allergies, but not her gluten sensititvity.