This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Period Loss

Bananna

Bananna Newbie

I lost 30 lbs with my celiac battle. I haven

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confusedks Enthusiast

Hmm, that's interesting. I lost my period for a while and then had it induced. Have you seen your ob/gyn about this? Are you underweight?

Guest j_mommy

Stress, change in weight ect can all cause loss of period. So can being malnurished.

I would see an OB/GYN though due to teh length of last period.

Bananna Newbie
Hmm, that's interesting. I lost my period for a while and then had it induced. Have you seen your ob/gyn about this? Are you underweight?

Iv'e gained back 15, and i guess i'm still a little "underweight" but I have had periods at this weight before in my lifetime. I guess I should go see an ob/gyn...

Guest LittleMissAllergy

I have the same issue! That's actually the issue that I'm working on at the moment. I haven't had a period in two years, which began a little bit BEFORE I began to lose weight. I ended up losing 55 pounds, but I've gained about 25 or 30 back (I'm 113 pounds at 5'7) and still I've got nothing. My doctor (not OBGYN) put me on Provera for 6 days and it didnt work (progesterone pill). He suggested a higher dose and 10 more days of it, and if that doesnt work, he suggested a trip to OBGYN.

I'm kind of nervous to go to OBGYN...I've never been. If you go for not having a period, do they do the FULL exam on you...if you know what I mean? I'd rather NOT. Haha...

Bananna Newbie
I have the same issue! That's actually the issue that I'm working on at the moment. I haven't had a period in two years, which began a little bit BEFORE I began to lose weight. I ended up losing 55 pounds, but I've gained about 25 or 30 back (I'm 113 pounds at 5'7) and still I've got nothing. My doctor (not OBGYN) put me on Provera for 6 days and it didnt work (progesterone pill). He suggested a higher dose and 10 more days of it, and if that doesnt work, he suggested a trip to OBGYN.

I'm kind of nervous to go to OBGYN...I've never been. If you go for not having a period, do they do the FULL exam on you...if you know what I mean? I'd rather NOT. Haha...

THANK YOU! a kindered spirit. Mine started a little beofre too. I have never been to an OB/GYN either. This seems to be my last problem. The thing is I feel fine without a period as bad as it is to say... Yeah I was on progesterone for a while too. It did nothing. And I HATED being on it. I feel that I have enough weight on me ( 5'8 118) to get a period, so i don't accept that excuse anymore. I don't want to go on birth conrol or get a shot of pergesterone because I believe in a more natural approch...

confusedks Enthusiast

Well, my ob/gyn put me on a pill to induce my period, but then I wouldn't stop bleeding after about 10 days, she she put me on a BCP. We did this because I have had my period for 90 days before, so she wanted to prevent that. I am 5'4" and about 115 lbs, so I am not underweight either, but again, I haven't had a period for about 4 months again. My ob/gyn waits 6 months before inducing it, but I don't know if we're going to do that again.

I would definitely suggest a trip to an ob/gyn. They didn't do an exam on me, even when I had been bleeding for 90 days! They wouldn't do it because I was about 15 at the time, and now I'm 17 and unless you're sexually active, they won't do an exam.

Even then, I don't know if they would just because you don't have your period. But, if you are sexually active, you should be getting yearly exams anyway to check for things like Cervical Cancer, etc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

melrobsings Contributor

I just paid a TON of $ over my insurance to have my endometreosis "fixed" and i didn't have my period for about 8 months....I'd pay a million dollars to never have it again. So all I have to do is loose weight and you loose your period too?!?! That's a DOUBLE bonus! BUT is it healthy?

VioletBlue Contributor

I have had fluctuations in my period for the last couple years. Honestly, at 44 I assumed I was entering Menopause and that was the cause. After all I was having hot flashes and mood swings etc etc. I went to see the doctor eventually and found out how low my iron was and one thing led to another which lead to Celiac Disease.

Now a year or so later my periods still fluctuate and are becoming progressively fewer and farther in between. So they believe I have actually entered menopause. Those medical geniuses. Though the hot flashes and mood swings and migraines and what not ceased when I went gluten free and have not returned. Whatever.

Chicken and the egg. Did the menopause come first or Celiacs? I've seen some doctors suggest that Celiac Disease can bring on early menopause. But one thing is known, low iron levels can interfere with a woman's cycle. In my case they became very erratic and I had a couple periods where I bled for nearly four weeks <_< Sincerely upping my iron intact actually appeared to have stopped the bleeding. I am firmly convinced that it's all connected, more so than doctors get; the absorption of vitamins and minerals effects hormone production which effects just about everything else.

I just try not to worry anymore. Granted for me it's easy. I have no children or plans to have children, and in the end I simply save a small fortune on feminine products.

Guest LittleMissAllergy
THANK YOU! a kindered spirit. Mine started a little beofre too. I have never been to an OB/GYN either. This seems to be my last problem. The thing is I feel fine without a period as bad as it is to say... Yeah I was on progesterone for a while too. It did nothing. And I HATED being on it. I feel that I have enough weight on me ( 5'8 118) to get a period, so i don't accept that excuse anymore. I don't want to go on birth conrol or get a shot of pergesterone because I believe in a more natural approch...

Gosh it sounds like we are VERY similar! Sometimes I feel like I'm such a weirdo, but it makes me feel much, much better that someone else is going through what I am (even though I hate to think that you have to deal with some of the same things I do!). Yea, since you and I both lost our periods BEFORE we lost the weight, I really don't think it's a weight issue anymore. I actually used to be on birth control for my skin, and it made me feel sick I think, so I went off of it and when I did I never got a period again. So I think my hormones were messed up, THEN I lost weight and that made it a lot worse. Gosh, what's going to get our periods going?? lol. I thought that I was feeling fine without it too, but I have these spasms right below my bellybutton that I think may be my uterus (bad bloating down there too!), so maybe this not-having-a-period thing actually isn't good. So I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that I find something that corrects it soon, so I stop looking like a bloaty/pregnant 18 year old!

tarnalberry Community Regular

while you may have had a period at this weight before, and while it only puts you at 4 pounds under the lowest 'healthy' bmi, it's more a question of body fat than weight. body fat produces and stores estrogen, which is needed to regulate a normal cycle, so if you're too low on body fat, even if you're at a healthy weight, you'll have issues.

but it sounds like it could likely be something else, so it sounds like going to a ob/gyn may be the right thing to do. I wouldn't worry too much about the exam, and you are always welcome to bring someone along into the exam room (I brought my husband with me the first time I went, as I was also seeing a male gyn since I was dealing with a special condition he had experience with, and I was *way* nervous about that). you can always say no to taking hormones until they do a full round of testing on you first, to find out if you *need* to take anything.

Bananna Newbie
I just paid a TON of $ over my insurance to have my endometreosis "fixed" and i didn't have my period for about 8 months....I'd pay a million dollars to never have it again. So all I have to do is loose weight and you loose your period too?!?! That's a DOUBLE bonus! BUT is it healthy?

No not at all. A woman not having a period is quite dangerous actually. We are only as good as our hormones. Estrogen is responsible for calcium absorption and critical for women and especially celiacs. Without a period your body has an incredibly hard time absorbing calcium. If a woman is unable to shed her uterine lining the actually environment "in there" can become pre-cancerous. Be very proud of your period! Although, the endometriosis is no fun either.

debmidge Rising Star

Sounds like you need to see ob/gyn to get hormone testing and medical advice - it doesn't mean you need to take hormones but at least it'll give you the answer to the question : are you in premature Menopause? And is your body too far into it to reverse it? The doctor may just want you to continue to menopause naturally and it may or may not have been a result of the celiac. Some women start menopause at 36-50 -- there's no guarantees when it will happen, especially if you have health issues -- it could be nature's way of saying "Hey, your health isn't good any longer to sustain a pregnancy. It's time to shut down."

• 5 weeks later...
skinnyasparagus Apprentice

Wow I'm happy I found someone else experiencing the same thing. I haven't had my period in two years, which scares the living daylights out of me. Once or twice I saw blood drops but then nothing else. As I think about it now, it could have been from something else too.

I'm nervous about going to the GYN or, rather, I didn't even think about it. I told my primary physician and she didn't say anything about it or give me anything..or even suggest anything to do about it. I figure it is because I'm underweight so I'm hoping to pack on a few pounds and then see if it comes back. If not, then I'll do something about it. The only issue I'm worried about is the damage which might have already been done over the two years of not getting my period. Is there any supplement to take?

I'm also worried about my calcium absorption since last night there was a report on TV about celiacs and the one woman there suffered from 9 bone fractures due to the lack of calcium. :(

Bananna Newbie

Hey! It is great to meet some similar girls! Well, what I did, (and I recommend you do this first) is go see an endocrinologist. I just did like a month ago. Have him or her test your hormone levels to see if you are even producing them still. This will be a great marker. There are no pills per say, but progesterone cream or pills are often given. Also, technically the birth control pill could give you artificial hormones which will mimic your natural ones.

The calcium thing really bothers me too. I take daily calcium/magnesium supplements but that

skinnyasparagus Apprentice
Hey! It is great to meet some similar girls! Well, what I did, (and I recommend you do this first) is go see an endocrinologist. I just did like a month ago. Have him or her test your hormone levels to see if you are even producing them still. This will be a great marker. There are no pills per say, but progesterone cream or pills are often given. Also, technically the birth control pill could give you artificial hormones which will mimic your natural ones.

The calcium thing really bothers me too. I take daily calcium/magnesium supplements but that

Archived