Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nyxie63

You Call This Gravy?

I made roast beef the other night and decided to do something with the leftovers last night. Been having a hankering for gravy and rice so decided to make a nice gravy.

Ran out of arrowroot so figured since I've used corn starch in the past (before having problems with corn) potato starch would work. Ummm... er... hrm... *cough*... No.

While it thickened the gravy all right, the consistency was something rather like mucus. Yeah, I know.... EW! It actually rolled off the rice and beef onto the plate in lumps reminiscent of "The Blob". It was like eating beef-flavored loogies. Tasty, yet disgusting at the same time.

Ok, so when you can't use corn starch and are out of arrowroot, what do you use?

2/05 GERD

3/07 Multinodular goiter (suspicious for follicular neoplasm as of 11/07)

5/07 Iron, vit D, and B vit deficiencies (all of them), but particularly B1, B5, B12 and folate

6/07 Elevated mercury, subclinical hypothyroid, adrenal fatigue, CFS

9/07 Endo/Colonoscopy - neg biopsy (only took 2 samples), diverticulosis, benign polyps

10/07 PCOS (cysts in breasts, ovaries and cervix)

10/07 Major reaction to wheat challenge. Minor reactions to corn, dairy, barley, and refined sugar

2/08 Candida (per Doctor's Data)

3/08 Lyme disease (clinical dx), began tx

3/08 Intradermal allergy testing - high for wheat, beef, pork, tuna, and corn - moderate for almonds, chicken, coffee, eggs, garlic, gluten, green peas, milk, rice, soy, sugar, tomatoes, green peppers, celery, sesame, garbanzo, mushroom, cabbage, strawberries, and spinach.

4/08 Began tx for babs and bart

4/08 Slightly elevated titres for EBV and HHV-6. IgG1 deficiency.

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger... and stranger."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've used white rice flour before and it worked fine so long as you make a slurry first and don't try to just add it in.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Personally, I hate gravy made with corn starch and rice flour (too much like pudding). I use light buckwheat flour for thickening gravy, and nobody can notice the difference from gravy thickened with wheat flour.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you!!!

2/05 GERD

5/07 Iron, vit D, and B vit deficiencies (all of them), but particularly B1, B5, B12 and folate

9/07 Endo/Colonoscopy - neg biopsy (only took 2 samples), diverticulosis, benign polyps

10/07 Major reaction to wheat challenge. Minor reactions to corn, dairy, barley, and refined sugar

3/08 Intradermal allergy testing - high for wheat, beef, pork, tuna, and corn - moderate for almonds, chicken, coffee, eggs, garlic, gluten, green peas, milk, rice, soy, sugar, tomatoes, green peppers, celery, sesame, garbanzo, mushroom, cabbage, strawberries, and spinach.

Nyxie,

I am sorry the potato starch didn't work out for you.

I have been making my gravy with it for the last two Thanksgivings and winter seasons after Patti suggested it, and it has always worked out well for me.

I was using rice flour before the potato starch and I didn't like the flavor or the graininess that it had.

I guess it comes down to personal preference with gravy :lol:

I think the key with potato starch is that a little goes a LONG LONG way as far as thickening power.

I've used it before, but a TON less than I would have used of another thickener and it's worked just fine.

I would say (someone disagree if I'm wrong, of course), maybe 1/4 the amount you'd use of rice flour or corn starch.

I think the key with potato starch is that a little goes a LONG LONG way as far as thickening power.

I've used it before, but a TON less than I would have used of another thickener and it's worked just fine.

I would say (someone disagree if I'm wrong, of course), maybe 1/4 the amount you'd use of rice flour or corn starch.

Yes, I agree. Whatever starch one uses, start out with one or two big tsp per cup or

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

Ah ha! That's what happened! *lightbulb going on*

I used the same amount of potato starch that I was using with corn starch.

Will try it again, this time adding a little at a time.

Thank you all for your help! I really do appreciate it. :)

2/05 GERD

:rolleyes: been there done that! Ya it is so weird when your gravy is thick like, well like yuck!

A tiny bit goes a long way. That said I like the potato flour better then the starch, the gravy or soup or whatever isn't as gelatin like which is the same as ooky! Oh it was so gross now that you reminded me (the one made with the starch).

Serious though I really like the one made with the flour, ya know how when you make roast beef and gravy and you put it on top of your potatoes and they mix togethor, well that is what the potato flour reminds me of. It is like a perfect mix. yum now I want gravy and spuds but that means I need to make a roast. Sometimes I just want the gravy without the roast but it doesn't work that way. :huh:

~Barb

Gluten Free October 18, 2007

YIPPEE for Gluten free