This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Local Gluten Free Brands

Worriedtodeath

Worriedtodeath Enthusiast

HI!

I went browsing today and found several gluten free brands. Some I have heard of here and others I hadn't. Just wondering if anyone had heard of these brands and if you liked them.

Cookies/snacks stuff:

Enjoy life

MiDel Brand (animal cracker thingees)

Glutano

Glutino

Snikiddy Snacks

Cereal:

Enviorkids

Erewhon

Nature's path

Mixes:

namast Foods

Cherrybrook Kitchen

Gluten Free Pantry

Energt

Arrowhead

Pamela's

Bob's Red mill

123 Gluten Free

Pasta:

Bio Nature

Mrs. Leepers

Roads End

Ongran

Frozen bread:

Manna Bread

I think I have all those spelled right. They had a couple of more that I know everyone here says are great but just wondering if anyone had tried any of the above. i picked up pamelas' chocolate chip cookies (yum even if it was a different taste but still yum!), some arrowroot cookies, and Pamela's pancake mix.

Thanks

Stacie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Glutano is a German brand, and they make really nice cookies and little cakes/muffins. I like the big cookies with the chocolate filling. Their crackers are okay, but not fabulous.

Glutino cake mixes are great. They also have other nice stuff.

I like the MiDel animal crackers, they are pretty good.

Gorilla crunch cereal from Envirokids is pretty nice. I don't like their rice crispy bars, though.

I like Bob's Red Mill hot cereals. Haven't tried his other stuff, except for the gluten-free oats, which taste like........ well......oats. :o

kevsmom Contributor

I agree - Glutano stuff is usually pretty good.

I like the MiDel Arrowroot cookies (the animal cookies). Watch out because they also make other cookies that are not gluten-free.

Enjoy Life cookies are good too.

When I make pancakes. I use up a whole thing of Pamela's mix, and freeze in portions for yummy breakfasts that I can just pop in the microwave.

Mrs. Leepers makes a "Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper" type dish that is pretty good.

JennyC Enthusiast

I think Glutino and Kinnikinnick make some of the best products. They both make excellent cookies. Midel, from what little I have experienced, is pretty good too. I like their ginger snaps. I think Enjoy Life products are a bit more of a gamble, some products are ok...some are not. Glutano has some good products too.

As for cereal, Enviorkids have some good ones but my little one did not like them initially, so it may be a bit of an acquired taste. :rolleyes: Erewhorn rice cereal and Nature's path's corn flakes are very good. Health Valley also makes corn/rice Crunch-em's that are really good.

The only mixes that you mentioned that I care for are Pamela's and Gluten Free Pantry. Bob's Red Mill uses flours that I don't care for. Arrow Head Mills products are just ok.

As for pasta we pretty much stick with Tinkyada. It's "widely available" and they have a variety of shapes.

missy'smom Collaborator
HI!

I went browsing today and found several gluten free brands. Some I have heard of here and others I hadn't. Just wondering if anyone had heard of these brands and if you liked them.

Cookies/snacks stuff:

Enjoy life

MiDel Brand (animal cracker thingees)- Just tried them and they're very good.

Glutano

Glutino

Snikiddy Snacks

Cereal:

Enviorkids

Erewhon

Nature's path

Mixes:

namast Foods- I really like the yellow and choc. cake mixes. Yellow one is not what you'd normally expect in a yellow cake as it has sorghum in it but is very good for pineapple upsidedown cakes and has a good texture and flavor IMHO. Don't care for the pizza mix.

Cherrybrook Kitchen

Gluten Free Pantry

Energt

Arrowhead- don't care for the pancake mix- They come out a little tough.

Pamela's- pancake and baking mix is very good, choc. cake mix is good too

Bob's Red mill

123 Gluten Free

Pasta:

Bio Nature

Mrs. Leepers- not bad for a quick meal, my gluten eating tuna helper fans didn't mind the tuna one

Roads End

Ongran- I like their spirals-both tricolor and millett rice are staples in our house, spaghetti is good too, shells fall apart easily

Frozen bread:

Manna Bread

I think I have all those spelled right. They had a couple of more that I know everyone here says are great but just wondering if anyone had tried any of the above. i picked up pamelas' chocolate chip cookies (yum even if it was a different taste but still yum!), some arrowroot cookies, and Pamela's pancake mix.

Thanks

Stacie

cruelshoes Enthusiast

These are the opinions of those in our house, and may not represent the opinions of anyone else, living or dead. :)

Enjoy life - love the chocolate chips, the bar things are just OK. I thnk they are too small for the money, but my kids will eat them in a pinch. The cookies are OK, but you don't get much in the box.

MiDel Brand (animal cracker thingees) - love these. The gingersnaps are good too, but we didn't care much for the chocolate chip cookies. Be careful when you buy these because they make gluten cookies too.

Glutano - the crackers are good, but their oreo type cookies are gross. Greasy and hard.

Glutino - have tried lots of their products, and liked them all. The crackers are great.

Cereal:

Enviorkids - we love all of them. I am not wild about the gorilla munch, but the kids like it. The peanut butter panda puffs are addictive.

Erewhon - the rice crispies are good. Haven't had any of the other kinds.

Mixes:

namast Foods - love their chocolate cake and spice cake. The spice cake makes a killer carrot cake. I like these mixes because they make a full 9x13 pan.

Cherrybrook Kitchen - the chocolate chip cookie mix is pretty good.

Gluten Free Pantry - I have liked everything we have tried from this brand.

Energt - I think you mean ener-g? I am not crazy about their rice flour mix. It is gritty and crumbly to me. Their crackers and pretzels are great.

Arrowhead - The pizza mix is OK. Everything else from this brand is gritty and disgusting. The cake mix is one of the things that made me cry after being diagnosed. It tastes like a vanilla sandcastle.

Pamela's - love everything from Pamelas

Bob's Red mill - love most things from Bob's red mill. Their chocolate cake mix is the best one out there, I think. I don't care for their bread mixes because of the bean flour. The whole grain bread mix is disgusting. Way too much caraway and bean flour.

Pasta:

Bio Nature - their gluten-free pasta is quite good. Be careful when you buy it becasue they make gluten pasta too.

Mrs. Leepers - their spaghetti is pretty good, but don't cook it too long

Hope this helps.

Worriedtodeath Enthusiast

You guys are great! Thanks for the opinions. COnsidering how much this stuff costs, I didn't want to blow money without first some idea that somebody liked them. We made the pancakes this weekend and my hubby who eats more bread than anything said he couldn't tell a difference. YEA!! If it was just me, I would live on salads, meat, fruit, vegggies but with 3 kids and 1 hubby, they need some "grainy" foods.

Now, do you find it cheaper to purchase online or to buy from the store?

Thanks

Stacie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Pamela's has a larger size bag of their pancake and baking mix. It's at least twice the size of the reg. one. The stores in my area, that carry it, often have it on a different shelf, sometimes way on the bottom. Some in my area didn't know it was available because it was so easy to overlook!

Green12 Enthusiast

Hi Stacie,

I haven't tried all of these brands or products, but the ones I have tried and like from your list are:

Enjoy Life- the Snickerdoodles are yummy

MiDel- I used to eat the Ginger Snaps, they have soy in them though so I no longer partake in the gingery goodness of these cookies :lol:

Namaste Foods- I love the Namaste mixes, they don't have casein or soy in them so I use these more often. I have used so far the brownies, chocolate cake, spice cake, and muffins (the ones with sugar, not the sugar free).

Gluten Free Pantry- is great! Truffle Brownies, Corn Bread and the Quick Mix (use like Bisquick mix) is what I have tried so far. Many other people rave about everything Gluten Free Pantry

Energy- I like the pretzels

Pamela's- I LOVE Pamela's!! I use the Chocolate Cake mix to make all my birthday cakes for the family, the brownies are my favorite brownies, and the pancake mix is awesome.

Warning about Manna Bread, I think this is sprouted wheat bread and it is not gluten-free, at least it was when I was eating it.

Unless they have a new gluten-free bread that has come out since?? So check labels carefully.

njbeachbum Explorer

Hi Hi,

Just a couple of quick notes on the brands you mentioned.....

Enjoy Life - the snickerdoodle and happy apple cookies are great (they are small little cookies though, but excellent for a quick snack)... they also make some chocolate cookie (i forget what they're called) but those are very good too.

Glutano - i have at home the chocolate sandwich cookies.... kinda like mini oreos, and they are pretty tasty. not like a real oreo, but hey, beggers can't be choosy ;)

MiDel - the mini chocolate chip cookies and pecan cookies are delicioso. like the above, they are good to have around when you need a quick sweet fix.

Gluten Free Pantry - i've heard nothing but good about these dry mixes. what i like so much about them is that all of the dry ingredients are there and it makes it easy for a remedial baker like myself. my sister gave me a breadmaker for christmas and i unveiled it this weekend. i made my first loaf last night and it was the Gluten Free Pantry sandwich bread mix. Very very tasty. Much better than getting a frozen loaf for 7 dollars that makes a sandwich to fill a small mouse.

Glutino.... anything i've tried by them so far is out of this world. The pretzels are very, very good and their frozen bagels are the best i've tried, BY FAR. The sesame seed bagels are very soft and crusty just like a real bagel!

Pamela's - all that i've tried are the Pecan Shortbread cookies, and they are out of this world. I really enjoy them! I have the pancake and baking mix at home, but i haven't tried making the pancakes yet....

My favorite pasta so far is Tinkyada, it really tastes great and doesn't make me feel like i am sacrificing anything by eating it. I also like that the rice pasta is much lighter than regular pastas, so i don't feel like a big bloated pig after eating a serving.

And that's all from me.... I hope this helps!!

-Joe

kevsmom Contributor

If you have a WalMart close by, you may want to check them out. A lot of Their Great Value Brand (Store label) stuff does not contain gluten and will say "Gluten Free" right on the label. If it's a Super WalMart, they carry a lot more items. You might be able to find things like Gluten Free Pantry and Pamela's products, at a lot lower price.

Archived