This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Band-aid Adhesive gluten-free?

Alternative mama

Alternative mama Apprentice

This may be a strange question but are band aids gluten-free? I'm allergic to latex so I get the latex free band aids and I still always have problems. My skin always gets "burned" where the adhisive was. Could this be gluten derived???

Has anyone else had probs with band aids?? I also have DH so it doesn't take much for my skin to react

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

horsegirl Enthusiast
This may be a strange question but are band aids gluten-free? I'm allergic to latex so I get the latex free band aids and I still always have problems. My skin always gets "burned" where the adhisive was. Could this be gluten derived???

Has anyone else had probs with band aids?? I also have DH so it doesn't take much for my skin to react

My skin does the exact same thing, whether the band aids are latex-free or not. I don't think it

would be gluten, because I'm sure not eating them! I think some people are just sensitive to the

adhesives they use, which cause some type of contact dermatitis. I use paper tape whenever

possible (like after a lab draw) to avoid this problem.

JustMe75 Enthusiast

I think its the adhesive too. I get bad welts from bandaids, tape, even the medical tape that shouldn't be a problem. My step daughter does too. She even gets it from stickers (you know how kids like to put stickers on their hands and stuff) but hers is worse. She can't use bandaids, I do and deal with it. I usually still have a mark on my arm by the time the blood test results come back! One thing I found strange is I can use them some places but not others.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Man this disease sure can make you paranoid huh? LOL!

I know that I have problems is I touch wheat or gluten and that's why I asked.

tarnalberry Community Regular

while someone has posted a link suggesting that gluten could be used in some medical adhesives, that's the only reference I've ever seen to that effect, and I've never seen anything confirming it actually being used in a commercial product that we might come into contact with.

at the same time, I am sensitive to adhesives as well - they have plenty of chemicals which can bother you. I've found a few bandages that work for me, so I can only encourage you to try different brands until you find something that works.

So then....what about tape? Not medical tape but just normal tape. Sorry for the paranoia questions but my health just keeps spiraling downward regardless of my diet so I'm searching everywhere.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I can use regular bandaids only on spots with thicker skin, like hands and feet. Everywhere else I have to use bandaids for sensitive skin. And the only medical tape that works is the paper tape.

I get terribly itchy, huge, bright red welts, psoriasis and/or eczema from regular bandaids, that can take up to a YEAR to go away! It is never less than several weeks at the best of times.

I don't know exactly what it is in the adhesive that is causing it. But it doesn't really matter, no matter what the cause, I can't use regular bandaids.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa16 Collaborator
I can use regular bandaids only on spots with thicker skin, like hands and feet. Everywhere else I have to use bandaids for sensitive skin. And the only medical tape that works is the paper tape.

I get terribly itchy, huge, bright red welts, psoriasis and/or eczema from regular bandaids, that can take up to a YEAR to go away! It is never less than several weeks at the best of times.

I don't know exactly what it is in the adhesive that is causing it. But it doesn't really matter, no matter what the cause, I can't use regular bandaids.

I have the same problem too! Mine don't take a year to go away, but it always takes a couple of weeks. I even get the red blisters when they do EKGs--from the little round patches. I am also allergic to latex and have DH. Maybe there is something about being a sensitive/allergic type person that gives some of us a common set of symptoms. And maybe it is time medical supply companies start formulating new adhesives! I swear-- I hate to get blood work or lab tests, and it is not because of the needles! And I had lesions from the tape after surgery that were worse than the incision site.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I get a DH reaction from Bandaid brand strips. Makes the boo-boo seem like nothing compared to the rash and discomfort from the bandage. I now use Wegmans strips, nonlatex and have no issue at all with them. If you live in an area that has a Wegmans you may want to check them out. Before I discovered those were okay I used copious amounts of gauze and any injury was wrapped in such a way the the adhesive on the bandage was only sticking to the gauze. Used a lot of gauze for even a little ouch but it worked.

Respira Apprentice

I have the same problem the only kind I do not react to is the Band-Aid Flexible Fabric kind..I don't know why.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

So odd you mention this. I never had a problem with band aids before, but a couple weeks ago we went to visit my husband's grandma in FL. I recently had my appendix out and when I went to sit by the pool I put band aids over the incisions to reduce scarring from the sun, only to find the band aid had left terrible rashes where the adhesive was. It went away after a couple of days, but it was really odd. I wonder if I formed some sort of sensitivity to it.

truthsearcher Rookie
So odd you mention this. I never had a problem with band aids before, but a couple weeks ago we went to visit my husband's grandma in FL. I recently had my appendix out and when I went to sit by the pool I put band aids over the incisions to reduce scarring from the sun, only to find the band aid had left terrible rashes where the adhesive was. It went away after a couple of days, but it was really odd. I wonder if I formed some sort of sensitivity to it.

fyi,

My sensitivity to latex gets worse and worse anytime I had a procedure done or surgery. I got to the points where I request total latex free when I go for a check up d/t the latex issue.

Nexcare is the brand of bandage I use without a problem.

You'd be amazed at the thousands of items latex is in. Some people cannot even tolerate bananas, kiwi, and avocados due to the fact it's in the rubber family.

hth

sickchick Community Regular

I've gotten oozy and blistery since I can rember from bandaids and even that white tape they use too bleh :huh::lol:

Michi8 Contributor

I react to adhesive bandages as well. I had patch testing done that confirmed I am not allergic to latex, but am allergic to other things (potassium dichloride, nickel, cobalt) that, unfortunately, are used in many adhesives, as well as many other common products. I always remind medical personnel of my sensitivity, but it doesn't always help. When I had my second c-section, they ignored my requests and used a tape over the incision & staples that caused blistering...very uncomfortable to say the least!

Try different brands to see if one works better for you. If you continue to have problems, or they get worse, consider patch testing to narrow down what you're sensitive to.

Michelle

Archived