Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

debmidge

Celiacs In Nj, Pa And Ny

Ingredient statement leads me to believe it's gluten-free.

Does anyone eat this and it's OK (gluten-free)?

(I limit post to NJ, PA & NY as it's a regional item, but if you're in another state & you can purchase it there - I was under impression that it's not obtainable outside of this area -- and you know about this being gluten-free and use it, please feel free to add to the thread).

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Ingredient statement leads me to believe it's gluten-free.

Does anyone eat this and it's OK (gluten-free)?

(I limit post to NJ, PA & NY as it's a regional item, but if you're in another state & you can purchase it there - I was under impression that it's not obtainable outside of this area -- and you know about this being gluten-free and use it, please feel free to add to the thread).

Hi, I grew up in NJ and remember eating Taylor Pork Roll all the time as a kid and in the high school cafeteria! I live in Virginia now, and can't get it, but miss it! I went to their website and they have nothing about ingredients, but be aware they are regulated only by USDA and not FDA so apparently don't have the same labeling laws apply to them (I found that out the hard way with turkey and chicken - products that are predominantly meat are regulated by USDA and not FDA). I've emailed their customer service POC and asked the question. If/when I get a reply I will post it here! I may even order some online if it is gluten-free.

Franceen

Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success

Gluten-free since Dec 2005

Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months

No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

I wrote to them 2 years ago and did not get a response. Thanks for telling me about FDA vs. USDA because I was thinking that it was definitely gluten-free. Let's cross our fingers that it is gluten-free! That'd be wonderful!! YUM!

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

A hint at maybe good news coming!

I checked the Clan Thompson Smart Food List and all "Taylor Ham" made by the Taylor Provisions Co, in Trenton (I checked, it's the same company) is Gluten Free, per the company's reports to Clan Thompson (actually Lani Thompson) in May of 2007.

SO, if all their "ham" is gluten-free we may find out that the pork roll is also Gluten Free!!

I can't wait!

Franceen

Franceen: I think it's the only product which Taylor makes (Taylor Pork Roll). I also checked my Clann Thompson and didn't find anything on it.....I'll check again.

Search on "Taylor" in Clan Thompson (I have the newest update) and it's the only thing that comes up.

The website : http://www.jerseyporkroll.com/contact.htm

also talks about them as being "Taylor Ham" (the title of the page of the link is "Contact Jersey Port Roll or Taylor Ham".

So, I believe it is the same company - especially since the phone number in Clan Thompson reverse lookups to them - in Piscataway on Stelton Road!! (I once lived in an apt just off of Stelton Rd - I'm from Plainfield!)

But we'll see what they reply if they do.

This link to their home page clearly shows all the products including Taylor Ham.....

http://www.jerseyporkroll.com/

I guess they USED to be in Trenton? And are now in Piscataway?

Anyway, I'm HOPING it's ALL gluten-free!!!!!

Yummy

Franceen

The package I have in fridge says "Trenton" however I wouldn't be surprised if they have their executive offices in Piscataway. I think the plant is in Trenton. It has to be the same company because no other company can use the TAYLOR PORK ROLL name due to trademark infringement....

When I have a moment this week, I'll call the Piscataway Chamber of Commerce & ask them if Taylor is a commercial inhabitant and if it's the same as the Taylor Pork Roll of Trenton....they'll probably know.

Taylor Pork Roll is made by Taylor Provisions in Trenton, NJ. I just spoke with Eric at Taylor Provisions (609-392-1113), which confirmed that they don't add any wheat, barley, rye, or oats when making their pork roll. He said they tell customers that the only potential wheat is from what the animal was fed, which I understand is not an issue, correct?

Holly

DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08

DS3: negative blood tests

Me and DH: negative blood tests

Taylor Pork Roll is made by Taylor Provisions in Trenton, NJ. I just spoke with Eric at Taylor Provisions (609-392-1113), which confirmed that they don't add any wheat, barley, rye, or oats when making their pork roll. He said they tell customers that the only potential wheat is from what the animal was fed, which I understand is not an issue, correct?

Correct....maybe he was trying to make a joke....

I note that Clann Thompson states it's gluten-free .....too bad it wasn't healthy for you too!! :rolleyes: I thought it was.....