Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holdthegluten

Caprylic Acidand Psyllium Husk

I had something weird happen today. I have never taken caprylic acid before, although I have been using coconut oil w/ no reaction. I took one pill 365mg and 4 psyllium husk pills and after maybe 5 minutes i got extremely hot and couldnt breathe for a minute and my heart rate went up really high. I drank some water after almost calling 911 and it subsided after a few minutes. It scared the Poop out of me. Has anyone had anything like this happen? I made myself throw up just to get rid of the pills and the only thing that was partially absorbed was the caprylic acid and the psyllium husks were still in tact. I guess it was the Caprylic acid. Any thoughts?

28 yr old Male

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007

Gluten-free/Casein Free

HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth

" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"

Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well both of those can be kind of harsh in their own way. Caprylic acid is a pretty strong antifungal and the psyllium is very strong and bothers lots of people, but it really sounds like more like an allergic reaction.

I take caprylic acid and I've taken psyllium in the past. If I have reactions, they are usually in the gut.

i got to say i have no idea, but i thats one of those that i would tell myself "well i better not do that again" (i dont know how many times i said that though--especially to peanut butter)

sorry, i take the medical explanations as a grain of sand and just pay attention to my bodies reactions--i don't seem to do well with anything in pill form these days though

only when hope is fulfilled, hope is lost

*D-Digestive problems throughout youth and young adulthood unattended

*Self-convinced IBS '04 (began eating rice, breads, crackers...SFs to 'slow' the natural process)

*Winter '06 developed severely swelled legs with rashes, white tongue

*Self-diagnosed; Gluten Free Spring '07

*Celiac.com diagnosed Candida, Thrush Spring '07 (all that 3 years prior of nothing but rice)

*Celiac.com diagnosed IC Summer '07

*Winter '08 pursuing more accurate testing for dianosis of the beast in which I am battling