This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gifts Of Food

ruthla

ruthla Contributor

I mentioned this problem in my other post, but I think it's important enough for a post all by itself.

My mother just brought me a whole cheesecake from a local kosher bakery because I wouldn't let my son have a slice of cheesecake they brought home from a non-kosher diner. She meant well, but I JUST decided to get all the gluten out of my kitchen and then this cheesecake appears... :angry:

I wrapped that up well and put it in my freezer for now, and plan to serve it on paper plates when we're having guests (and when I'm planning to give my daughter a gluten challenge anyway.) So I'm not really asking what do to THIS time, but I'd like to know how I should handle this if it comes up again, and how everybody else deals with this issue.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

If it's from acquaintances and people I don't know *that* well, I say thank you, and take the gift in the spirit intended. If it's from people who know I can't have something, or in your situation, I would say "thank you. we will find a way to put this to good use, but I should have let you know that we're keeping the kitchen gluten free in the future. we could keep such fabulous treats for him at your place, for when he visits." I remind the person I can't have the item, but do very much appreciate the intention of the gift (always with the assumption that it was intended to be a well-meant gift, because thinking the best is for the best, and throws people off if they didn't :P).

Gluten Free 66 Newbie

I just joined today and already I am ready to post. I just read the post regarding "well meaning friends" who give food gifts off limits to all of us who are sensitive to one or more ingredients. I have been accepting the "gifts" and then disposing of them. Is this dishonest? Should I refuse the gift explaing (once again) I cannot eat their offering? What do others do?

Thanks

Mom23boys Contributor

If it is someone know doesn't know our situation we will either dispose of it or DH will take it to work.

Family is trickier. MIL thinks our issues are made up or all in our head. I am a little more dramatic with her. She has purposely hidden ingredients so we don't eat anything from her anymore unless it is completely sealed from the factory.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

I don't know why it feels so funny to do so, but throw it out. :o

For years I found myself eating stuff I didn't even like because it was given to me - boxed chocolates come to mind, really don't like the centers of a lot of them but ate them anyway ! Now that I'm gluten free, I have no qualms about tossing stuff. Put it this way - the gift is given in the spirit of giving, the person felt good giving it, so you accept it. Once a gift is accepted, it is yours to do with as you wish, and that includes tossing it ! Would you rather be ill ?

Having said that, my family is not gluten-free so they often eat such things. Oh - and I have no qualms about regifting unopened boxed chocolates.

If the giver is a relative or close friend, I would say something though - BUT if I couldn't really trust them, I would still toss it. I'm pretty sensitive and *most* people do not truly understand celiacs, the risk of getting glutened is high...and oh so not worth it.

dandelionmom Enthusiast

If it is a close friend or family member, I just say that "I'm sorry we can't have it in the house but thank you so much for the lovely thought." With other people, we've just been sending it to my husband's office. Another poster suggested a nice reply if someone asks if you enjoyed the gift; we just say, "We couldn't eat it because we don't eat gluten but it was so nice to have a ready made treat to send to husband's office! It saved me so much time and trouble and all the co-workers loved it! Thank you!"

Archived