This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Update On My Sister

blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Yesterday my sister went for a colonoscopy. As most of you know she has been sick for a year. So the last month or so she has had the "C", so I actually was thinking she was dealing with IBS. She has been under a lot of stress, with the job-she works for a temp agency now at UPS. She has been at this job since July. She was a fulltime employee and a full time student, she finished school in December and is looking for a job in her field.

So in the midst of everything with her finishing school the insurance would be ending. She talked to the insurance company who is allowing her to have insurance longer. Which is a blessing.

So back to the colonoscopy. They found two polyps and they are being biposied. She has also been referred for further testing, I believe a barium X-ray. I just wanted to update you guys all.

Thanks for all your support through this time.

Amanda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confused Community Regular

I have been wondering how she was and was going to ask u on many occassions but just kept thinking no news is good news.

I am so sorry she has to go threw this. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

paula

Cheri A Contributor

((hugs)) and prayers for your sister, Amanda.

ptkds Community Regular

I am sorry to hear about this.

Just to make you feel better, I had several polyps removed from my colon several years ago (I was only 24) and everything is fine with me, except my celiac! Some of them were precancerous, though. So I have to have a repeat colonoscopy every few years. Since then, there has not been one single polyp! I just figure that the polyps were from years of undiagnosed celiac.

Colon cancer is a very slow-progressing cancer. So if it is cancer (that is a big if), they have caught it in plenty of time and she will be just fine.

Also, having colon polyps will not cause constipation or diarrhea. They still have not found the answer, and she still needs to find out what is going on.

Keep us updated!

Guhlia Rising Star

Amanda, our prayers are with your sister. My mom also had polyps and they were benign. Still, I know how scary it can be to go through that whole process with a loved one.

I know you guys aren't blood related, but has she tried just going gluten free to see if it helps? I know the labs were negative, but... You never know.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Amnda--

I'll continue to keep your sister in my prayers. :)

dlp252 Apprentice

Adding my prayers and {{{hugs}}}!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thanks Everyone :)

Darn210 Enthusiast

Amanda,

Hugs and Prayers for you and your sister. I know it's unsettling news, but thank goodness she didn't let this go and persued insurance coverage and got a colonoscopy.

Colon cancer is a very slow-progressing cancer. So if it is cancer (that is a big if), they have caught it in plenty of time and she will be just fine.

Also, having colon polyps will not cause constipation or diarrhea. They still have not found the answer, and she still needs to find out what is going on.

I couldn't agree with this more . . . stay on her to keep looking for answers!!

elye Community Regular

Oh, Amanda....didn't know about your poor sister. Hugs to you both. I'm assuming she knows about the possibility of celiac, having you as a sister. Has she been tested at all? Has she tried going gluten-free?

Ridgewalker Contributor

(((Hugs!!!))) Amanda, I'll be thinking about you guys!

Green12 Enthusiast

Oh Amanda, you and your sister are definitely in my thoughts :)

DingoGirl Enthusiast

{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}

Amanda - your sister is very young - it is highly unlikely the polyps are cancerous, although my wonderful GI told me that EVERY polyp turns into cancer, :o it takes decades, or even an entire lifetime. I had one removed (benign) in colonoscopy.

Great news about the insurance extension. :)

Oh, Amanda....didn't know about your poor sister. Hugs to you both. I'm assuming she knows about the possibility of celiac, having you as a sister. Has she been tested at all? Has she tried going gluten-free?

Acutally my sister has been tested and has come up negative. She has simplified her diet but no changes. Both of my sisters are adopted so there would be no genetic match on there.

She was very willing to try gluten-free but after a month with no changes she feels there is more.

Monday she is going for another test.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Gosh Amanda..........I've been wondering how she was

Thanks for the up date.

i'll sure keep you both in my prayers.

glad they are looking for reasons for her issues.

please keep posting.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Archived