Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

srhbug

How Long For Elimination Diet?

I am planning on trying a gluten elimination diet for myself and my 16 month old boys to see if it alleviates extremely low weight gain (in the boys), asthma condtions and recurrent colds and viruses. As well as joint pain, stomach pain and steatorhea (alternating with constipation) in me. The boys also have loose stools most of the time. THey also dropped multiple curves for weight since their 12 month appointment. They are now well below the chart for weight, and JUST ON the chart for height. They eat a lot of healthy food (and snack foods too, but not a lot of junk) which is why I am dismayed at how little they weigh. They get colds and wheezing all the time - about twice a month in fact.

( I was actually diagnosed with IBS when I was a small child, I was told that I had "slow bowels" at the same time. I get a stomach ache whenever I eat and horrible stomach cramps whenever I eat copious (for me) amounts of bread).

How long do we need to go gluten free to see if it might be the culpret? And should I get a blood test for them first?

Also, has anyone heard of "petrochemical and food dye sensitivity? And is it more likley to be a reaction to those? From what I have read food dye sensitivty reactions are more of an immediate allergic response rather than a responce of a decreased immune system.

Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I started feeling better within a matter of days, but not all my symptoms went away. For some its weeks, it depends on the person; although it doesn't usually take too terribly long to start noticing a difference in how you feel.

If you want them to have a blood test, do it before you go gluten-free. The test is looking for antibodies, without gluten the test could very possibly come out negative. Mine did because I did the elimination diet, then realized the problem. That's a decision you have to make. Otherwise, they may respond great to the diet, but to have them tested you would have to reintroduce it for at the least a month, maybe longer.

Hope that helps! :)

After I re-this, I noticed your boys are 16 mos. The test for children is not always accurate, so that might be a good discussion to have with your ped. if you are considering having them tested.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09