• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Juliebove

Not Sick Any More!

Rate this topic

I noticed that this school year I have not been sick like I used to be in the past. I did have the flu over Christmas and it took me about a week to recover from that. But I've had no colds at all.

I used to get a cold every few weeks and it would be terrible to try to recover from it. It usually turned into some sort of respiratory infection. I didn't make the connection then, but I was eating a lot of chicken soup during times of illness. I was mainly buying Cambell's chicken and noodle or chicken and rice or occasionally Progresso or some other brand. So I was pumping myself full of allergens. I have a severe egg allergy and also a dairy allergy. Oddly the chicken and rice soup contains milk! So it's no wonder I was getting sick all the time and not getting better.

Seems like it took about 2 whole years to get better from the time I eliminated the allergens. I didn't learn of the food allergies until age 46. Daughter has been much better too, having missed far less school this year than in past years. She does have more allergies than I do and more chance of getting cross contamination.

At any rate, it is soooo nice to feel so much better! :D

Congratulations! That is fantastic for both you and your daughter!

I like to read reports of people who are feeling better finally! Thank you for posting!

I'm about a year into eliminating all the problematic foods, but it feels like steady progress has only been in the last four to six months, after removing nightshades, oxalates, corn, and yeast-friendly foods (that one less than a month ago).

I'm 43 and have been sick (gut/joint/head) for about 2.5 years -- after the exhaustion of the birth of my son, a tiring pregnancy, very tiring post-partum, antibiotics, and various infections. I wish there were a way to shorten the road for other folks -- I spent so many months just feeling terrible and being confused and stunned and not knowing where to turn. And during that time of course I was just getting sicker.

I think this last stretch of cutting out sugar and yeast-related foods has been the hardest and maybe the most important in my case.

I wonder if we shouldn't have a thread just of people telling their stories of getting well again. These message boards, while HUGELY helpful, can also be quite depressing because of all us sick folks trying to find a way out of the sick.

Patti, it's nice to see you on here! Our oxalate thread seems to have petered out. I've had my own journey on that diet -- maybe I should report it back on the thread. I learned I did some damage by going too low oxalate too fast. I have some oxalate symptoms now that I didn't have before starting the diet. I am eating more low-medium oxalate now and feel better when I do. But I think that diet also made me more sensitive to oxalates in my food than I was before -- which the VP Foundation folks say can happen. Anyway, glad to see you here and to see your picture! You look so lovely!

Best to you all,

Florence

fLORENCE

I SO MISS THAT THREAD.

I WAS DOING SOME READING THE OTHER NITE ON THAT SITE.

I WISH YOU'D POST AND LET'S GET THAT THREAD GOING AGAIN.

I'M TOO TIRED RIGHT NOW AND GOING TO BED SO SOME NEW THINGS ARE STARTING TO SHOW UP .

I'M GETTING SOME ANSWERS THO SO THAT IS GOOD.

SUSAN HAS BEEN POSTING ON LOD THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER START WITH THE HIGH OXALATE FIRST.

HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM HOW DID I MISS THAT ONE.

MAN THIS O THING WAS HARDER FOR ME THAN THE gluten-free

THAT SEEMS SO EASY NOW COMPAIRED TO WHAT WE'VE BEEN DOING LATELY

READING ALOT ABOUT THE SHIN PAIN AND PEOPLE WERE GETTING THAT WITH GOING H O TO START..............AT LEAST I THINK THAT WAS WHAT IT SAID.

SAW YOU WERE LOOKING AT THE METAL AND LYME CONNECTIONS MAN YOUR BRAVE.

SEEMS I WENT THROUGH SO MUCH DETOXING ON THE LOD AND THEN WITH THE POWDER ........AND THE OMG THREAD HAS PEOPLE ON IT FOR DUMPING METALS TOO.............I THINK I'M CORRECT ON THAT.......CALRA DID I KNOW.

PLEASE POST TOMORROW ON THAT THREAD BECASUE SO MANY OF US HAVE GOTTEN BETTER WITH THE NEW PIECE OF THE PUZZLE.

HOPE TO SEE A POST FROM YOU i I WONDERED WHERE YOU WERE. JUDY