Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glorious

Substitutions For Various Flours

Is there a good site that will tell me which gluten free flours can be substitued for each other? For example, are brown and white rice flour interchangeable? Is there a flour that can be substituted for

soy flour -

white bean flour-

almond meal -

I realize that every flour has it's own unique properties, but I don't want to have a large number of flours on hand.

Also, is there such a thing as gluten free, dairy free baking chips (chocolate, butterscotch, etc)?

Thanks!

I find this site very helpful: http://www.foodsubs.com/Flournw.html. It is not limited to gluten-free flours, though so be careful when reading it.

Chocolate chips that I have found that are dairy free are Enjoy Life and Trader Joe's semi-sweet chocolate chips. Maybe someone else knows of some other brands.

I just ordered Domata living flour and made tollhouse chocolate chip cookies. They turned out very good. There is a recipe for biscuits that I will try tommorow. I says it is a one cup for one cup exchange.

I just ordered Domata living flour and made tollhouse chocolate chip cookies. They turned out very good. There is a recipe for biscuits that I will try tommorow. I says it is a one cup for one cup exchange.

Hey, so did I!

Well, actually our local grocer is carrying it, so I bought some. I already have a well-stocked pantry with gluten-free flours, so I wasn't sure what to try.

I made the tollhouse cookie recipe (actually 1/2 recipe) - the pan version versus the individual cookie version. We shared with friends - 4 kids and 4 adults, including me - and all agreed they were my best gluten-free cookies ever! And I have been making gluten-free cookies almost weekly for over two years now.

All of my attempts at gluten-free biscuits so far have been pretty nasty, but I think I am getting up my nerve to try with this stuff.

My husband just made homemade chicken fingers using the spicy brand of Domata flour. They were wonderful and my 11 year old daughter thougth they were the best she ever had. He made his own batter with the new flour. It is a wonderfull flour!!!!!!!!!!

I was having trouble getting a handle on the different flours, so I kinda did a test. I did something like the liquid from a crepe - an egg with some sweetened rice milk. Then I'd take about 3 tb of a flour, pour enough liquid in to make a crepe, cook it and eat it, and write down taste and texture. I did this with all the flours I had in the house, and now I feel like i have a better idea of how to use them.

I cant use most blends, because the tapioca kills me. Also, I've been using veggie chips ground in the blender for chicken nuggets - its been popular in my house! Our boys dont like spicy much.

Ener-G has GFDF chocolate chips. I used them all the time and really couldn't tell the difference.

There are many ways to substitute ingredients. This is a broad reply, but I've found answers to the "substitution" question in most gluten-free cookbooks. I'm sure there are multiple websites as well.

Good luck as you practice and learn what works for you (and what flours you like, etc.)

-Julie :)