• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

judym

Tapioca Starch

Rate this topic

I'm new to gluten-free baking. I'm finding that my cakes (I've only made yellow cake, to be used as a layer cake, so far) have a distinctive flavor (I've made one specifically gluten-free recipe and one regular cake recipe using gluten free flours). I've used the same combination of flours in both cakes (Bette Hagman's gluten-free blend). When I tasted the flours straight out of their packages, I noticed that the tapioca flour was the culprit. Has anyone else noticed this and been put off by the flavor? Does anyone know of any decent substitutions for the tapioca that would add the same (non-flavor) benefits that tapioca starch adds to baked goods? Thank you so much in advance!

What flours are in the Bette Hagman blend? I haven't found tapioca starch to taste funny, but I do really hate the taste of sorghum, soy, garfava and other bean flours. Brown rice flour also sometimes tastes funny to me, but not as much as the others. I imagine if its the tapioca starch that tastes funny to you, you could probably just use potato starch instead.

I have never thought tapioca starch tastes funny, but cornstarch would be a good replacement. I think soy and garbanzo bean flours taste horrible.

I didn't think the tapioca had any flavor at all. Tapioca is what gives Chebe bread such great flavor.

I ground up my own toasted garbanzo beans and made gravy with it, and it tasted great. I did read that it goes bad quickly and must be refrigerated, so maybe that's why it would not taste good. Just a thought.

I have never thought tapioca starch tastes funny, but cornstarch would be a good replacement. I think soy and garbanzo bean flours taste horrible.

I agree, soy and bean flours make certain things gross, I only use bean flour in savory baking and never soy. Arrowroot starch would be a good, tasteless baking sub. I personally enjoy the mild flavor tapioca starch gives food.

I too am dealing with this, I thought it was the xanthan gum. It seems it depends on what I am making. Cornbread tastes normal but when I made Irish Soda Bread UCKY, so which thing tasted weird? It feels like when something tastes good then I got lucky, if it tastes weird then I don't make it again. So far I have NO IDEA what it is!!!

..... When I tasted the flours straight out of their packages, I noticed that the tapioca flour was the culprit......

I would acquire another package, perhaps another brand of tapioka starch flour and taste it. If the taste doesn't agree with you, I would try using a combination of potato starch, corn starch, and arrowroot starch.

I use a combination of white rice flour, brown rice flour, sorghum flour, bean flour, tapioka starch, potato starch, and corn starch for all my baked goods. Approximately half flour and half starch.

best regards, lm

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• March 24, 2019 Until March 27, 2019
      NEW ORLEANS GOURMET GLUTEN-FREE mini GETAWAY    March 24 ~ 27, 2019   We have arranged a fun and Gluten-free food filled mini in the city known for it's food and fun.  We have arranged to eat many of the famous dishes that aren't usually Gluten-free at a few of the World Renown restaurants.   Staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in the center of the French Quarter, you'll be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city at all hours.   Our itinerary will include a Luxury Coach tour of the city and surrounding area - Admission to The National World War II Museum, including the Tom Hanks" 4D film "Beyond All Boundaries" - an exciting Airboat ride and tour through the Bayou.      This it the 3rd time we have visited New Orleans and it has always been well attended, so join us even if you've been there before.  Check out our website for the complete itinerary and cost.    Due to contractual obligations we must have 20 participants by October 31, 2018 to make this a go.      If you have any questions just give us a call at 410-939-3218.  Bob & Ruth info@bobandruths.com (410) 939-3218
    • March 27, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • March 30, 2019 Until March 31, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    MeresaI

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Forum Discussions

Oh yes, it could, although to be honest I never got myself so wet with sweat that it would have been a serious situation.  However, I can remember one time when I got caught in a cloudburst while going to my car in a large parking lot, though, and got soaked to the skin, and of course had to wear those soaking-wet clothes while I drove the 45 minutes it took me to get home --- I will NEVER forgot the misery and agony of that drive!  I could just barely keep the car under control, in fact.
    Thanks for your response, Squirmingitch, but I have to almost laugh, as at this point I am not really stressing over these questions at all --- just curious.  I have always been an insatiable question-asker, so please don't take my frequent questions as a sign of my obsessing over celiac disease or DH.  Yeah, admittedly I was rather stressed out for a couple of days two weeks  ago or so, but I am significantly settled down now, even while negotiating the nutritional maze of trying to manage two
Water?! That's… unreasonably inconvenient. Did it happen with sweat?
  • Blog Entries