Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Molecular Dude

Frustrated About Friends And Restaurants

I'm so frustrated!! We have some very good friends with whom we often go to restaurants together. They are well aware of my dietary needs and have no problem coping with how I have to deal with restaurant menus, staff, etc. Last week we went to a tapas-style place where we ordered multiple dishes and passed them around. We were careful to avoid all of the obviously problematic dishes, and informed the waiter of my dietary needs. Needless to say, I developed my usual gluten-exposure symptoms afterward, despite our very best efforts to avoid the problem. This certainly is not the problem at all restaurants, but when it is, it just makes me want to pull my hair out!! Why don't I just order a platter of egg rolls and a pizza and just have a heck of a lot of fun, sharing with others, if I'm going to suffer the consequences anyway? At least that way our friends wouldn't be restricted in what they can eat, and I probably wouldn't feel any worse as a result afterward.

Sorry for ranting, but I just had to get that out! I really do know better -- I think.

Life is to LIVE, not to suffer. Make the most of it, and have some FUN, regardless of your situation.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It's a risk you take eating out, and it helps to go into it knowing that, and prepared for it. The risk is lower if you're going to a place you know already, and getting something you've had before and know to be safe, but it's not zero even in a case like that. I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, just trying to note that reminding yourself that it's a risk, putting yourself in that mental state, helps a bit. Like anything that's risky - if you have a negative outcome (like breaking a leg skiing), you know you accepted that risk going into it (choosing to go skiing).

Here's to you getting over this glutening quickly!

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA