This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is It Possible....

radgirl

radgirl Enthusiast

To be on a "gluten free diet" or be consuming what is considered to be gluten free items, yet after a period of time have a build up of the toxin in your body due to cross-contamination and such, thus causing a return of symptoms?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Possibly, but have you considered that you might be feeling another intolerance such as dairy or soy. It may be temporary.

radgirl Enthusiast
Possibly, but have you considered that you might be feeling another intolerance such as dairy or soy. It may be temporary.

Dairy and most soy is all ready out of my diet. I'm running out of food.

Gwen B Rookie
Dairy and most soy is all ready out of my diet. I'm running out of food.

Eggs? Or have you checked shampoo/shower gel/moisturizer. I found that my dry skin spots cleared after changing to gluten-free cometics that are also soy free, usually tocopherol/tocopherol acetate. Try it and see.

radgirl Enthusiast

I think I'm having an issue with CC regarding some supposed gluten-free products, i.e. Honey Rice Puffins and Corn or Rice Crunch Em's. Still investigating.

Jodi Mills Apprentice
Eggs? Or have you checked shampoo/shower gel/moisturizer. I found that my dry skin spots cleared after changing to gluten-free cometics that are also soy free, usually tocopherol/tocopherol acetate. Try it and see.

Okay, since I am new to all this what are the brands of the gluten free cosmetics, shampoos, lotions that you use, and where did you find them. right now I am using vaseline brand, it hasnt cleared the dry skin spots, but its the only thing i can find that doesnt make them worse...

Thanks for the help!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I think I'm having an issue with CC regarding some supposed gluten-free products, i.e. Honey Rice Puffins and Corn or Rice Crunch Em's. Still investigating.

I think you found the culprits. I used to eat the Puffins all the time, the last time I looked at the boxes I couldn't find the one of all of them that they had labeled gluten free. The gluten-free labels were gone but they still had wheat free on them so I wonder if they changed the formulas. I only tried the Rice Crunch Ems once, I am very sensitive to CC and none of these cereals and I get along.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Okay, since I am new to all this what are the brands of the gluten free cosmetics, shampoos, lotions that you use, and where did you find them. right now I am using vaseline brand, it hasnt cleared the dry skin spots, but its the only thing i can find that doesnt make them worse...

Thanks for the help!

One of the best heavy duty ones I have used is Norweigan Formula in a small white tube with a blue band. It is very thick and works well, we even use it as a 'chapstick' on the lips when they get really chapped.

Suave makes a number of gluten-free products, shampoos and lotions, and they will clearly label wheat and oat ingredients. I really like the lavender one and the one that smells like cinnamon.

Another for sure safe thing to consider is coconut oil and olive oil. If you have a great deal of sensitivities they both work quite well. For very chapped hands if you put a thick layer on your hands at night then put on a pair of oldfashioned cotton gloves you will wake up with nice soft unchapped hands.

Check out the products section for info on a really great gluten-free makeup. There is a long thread there on the brand, I can't think of it right off hand. Real nice makeup with a great trial size offer, you only pay for shipping. I don't wear makeup very often but I love this stuff.

radgirl Enthusiast
I think you found the culprits. I used to eat the Puffins all the time, the last time I looked at the boxes I couldn't find the one of all of them that they had labeled gluten free. The gluten-free labels were gone but they still had wheat free on them so I wonder if they changed the formulas. I only tried the Rice Crunch Ems once, I am very sensitive to CC and none of these cereals and I get along.

Raven, thank you so much for chiming in on this. Glad to know that I'm not the only who isn't going crazy and can no longer tolerate these cereals. I did find another culprit last night. A while ago, I purchased some hand & nail cream. I'm extremely allergic (break out in full body rash) to cocoa butter, so this product didn't have any in it. However, I failed to notice the barely extract in the cream and have been using it for months, prior to going to bed. Good grief! You live and you learn, but I'm tired of learning the hard way.

I wish there was a law that made companies list their products as gluten free or do a better job at labeling with the ingredients. There has to be a better way. Not slowly poisoning yourself and not being able to figure it out because POOF, something has magically changed or the ingredient list print is so small, you over look the necessary.

Archived