This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Off Topic Sorta-i'm Babysitting A 2 Yr Old

hayley3

hayley3 Contributor

I'm just wondering if this is normal.

When she gets up in the morning, she just keeps eating one thing after another. I finally have to say no.

She ate two large bananas, and a cup of applesauce, and a full glass of milk, in about 5 mins, and she wanted MORE. I don't think this is normal, so I wanted to get others opinions. She is not fat. I've had her for 8 days and she does this every day.

She is 2 yrs and 3 months, and she can't say one word that you can understand. She also does not take naps and she only sleeps a max of 8 hrs in a 24 hr period. She is not hyper though.

Her mother was a drug addict, who is supposedly recovered.

I just cannot figure out how she can eat so much. My 11 yr old eats one banana and that's it.

I did notice some tiny strings of mucous in her poop. Is there a digestive order where they don't get full?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lmvrbaby Newbie

When you first started to babysit did you ask the mom what the child ate, how much and how often? Some children depending on their upbringing, may not take naps or may eat more than other children. It may as well have something to do with a digestive problem. Unless you know the child very well and how the mom has raised her and feeds her, no one will know for sure. As far as two bananas, I found out first hand one banana is plenty, too many bananas, the potasium in them can raise the blood pressure and you can get sick from it. Did you try toast or cereal?

I have a grand daughter that can eat a lot as well. She would eat all day if I let her, I try to keep her on a regular schedule of three meals a day but my son and his girlfriend let her snack all day between meals, which at my house is a constant getting her food and cleaning up. She is now 4 1/2 years old. If this is something that has occurred since birth then she has the stomache to eat that much and feels hungry all the time. She is very tall for her age and very skinny. She also has a lot of energy.

I know some children who eat three times a day, no snacking and even at ages 4 and 5 take morning and afternoon naps. Like I said, depends on the parent raising that child. You said you have only been babysitting for 8 days, I woul talk to the mom, get more info and see if maybe there is more going on. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :rolleyes:

dandelionmom Enthusiast

Maybe she's in a growth spurt or maybe breakfast is her big meal of the day. My 17 month old will eat the world's biggest breakfast (today it was a banana, two eggs, milk, and a piece of toast) but eats tiny lunches and dinners.

Mom23boys Contributor

That would have never of filled either of my two oldest kids. Do you have any proteins to give her??

kb8ogn Rookie

Both of my kids eat a lot. Neither are overweight. I just make certain there are a lot of "good" foods around for them to eat. Not a lot of junk.

hayley3 Contributor

Thanks everyone for their reply.

This message got moved and I never received a message that anyone had replied. I thought that someone removed the message and was never posted. I just was browsing my profile and found the message again by accident.

She's gone back to her mother now.

Thanks !

Archived